Tabbed Finder?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just a thought...

I've gotten so used to using tabbed browsing in Safari why not bring the same concept to the Finder?

Set it up the same way as a web browser works. Click a file (link) and it opens to that window (or double click if not in column view). Command click and it opens in a tabbed window. Drag a file over a tab and it switches to that window.

My thought is I often have two projects going at the same time. Then something quick and simple comes in and I need to do it now. Under the current situation I might have 4-6 windows open for the two normal projects I'm already working on (plus all the apps, etc.). Then I have to open two or more windows for the extra project.

With a tabbed Finder I could have THREE. One window for each project with multiple tabs.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I like your idea. A tabbed Finder would help improve my workflow too since I wouldn't have to keep 3 Finder windows open at all times (a lot of files needed to be copied around).

I dig the new GNOME 2.12 Nautilus concept. It's sort of a copy of Finder + a copy of Explorer (in Vista) plus some GNOME concepts. I think it works fine too.

• Reply 2 of 51
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Drag the proxy icon of the currently open folder, or an icon of a visible but unopened folder, to the sidebar and/or the toolbar.

Voila. Tabbed Finder.

Still not as useful as the Shelf. \
  • Reply 3 of 51
    The new version of Path Finder will have tabs.

http://www.cocoatech.com/news/archiv...4/28/index.php
  • Reply 4 of 51

Windows still looks and feels as ugly as ever. I wonder if M$ ever considers that their users actually might have to spend their whole day glaring at that ugly interface

Either way, it is horrible, Vista or not. \
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Kickaha,

But then I have to go manually remove them again when I'm done. I want something that with one click is there, then 5 minutes later is automatically gone (when I close that whole window).

delete,

That looks like it is basically what I'm after. I like that there are other developers doing this, I'd just like to see something like it from Apple. As great as everyone says Spotlight is I just haven't found myself using it much so they better not be trying to replace the Finder just yet.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    for those too lazy to visit the cocoatech site:

• Reply 7 of 51
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    As an...option that would be SWEET. I for one would use it and like it.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    I still maintain that tabs are only a workaround for a weak window management system.

Which we don't have.

But whatever.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I still maintain that tabs are only a workaround for a weak window management system.

Which we don't have.

But whatever.

In my opinion, this kicks Expose's ass. Expose has too much shit going on, I have to recognize my screen, move over to it, select it, then click again to drop. This is all there, right in front of you.

Unless you were referring to something else...

--B
  • Reply 10 of 51
    A combination of Cmd-Tab, Cmd-~ and Expose gives you a mix of a hierarchical circular linear access and direct random access. Toss in hiding of apps, and it's the best of all worlds, IMO.

Tabs came about on systems that didn't offer intelligent window management, so they needed *some* way of offering easy access to windows within a single application. We don't have that problem.

Also, tabs break drag and drop pretty badly. I find that so useful and ubiquitous in my workflow that I can't imagine giving it up.

Oh, and you don't have to click to pick the window in Expose. Initiate the drag, hit Expose, and then hover over the target window. It will come up, and drop. Voila. One drag and drop, one Expose trigger in the middle. Unifies the drag and drop with the window selection in a nice manner.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

A combination of Cmd-Tab, Cmd-~ and Expose gives you a mix of a hierarchical circular linear access and direct random access. Toss in hiding of apps, and it's the best of all worlds, IMO.

If I have 9 folders open, and as far as I know we're still just talking about this function within Finder windows, command-"~" will take up to four or five taps to make the loop go around to the furthest folder, taking the fastest path, of course, if I don't pass it. I still have to go looking for something that in this new system would be right in front of my face, and which I can drag directly to. If, of course, you could drop to the tab (and why not if you can drop to the folder icon at the top of current finder windows?)

Quote:

Tabs came about on systems that didn't offer intelligent window management, so they needed *some* way of offering easy access to windows within a single application. We don't have that problem.

Like I say, this looks a lot more direct, foolproof and transparent than the tab loop.

Quote:

Also, tabs break drag and drop pretty badly. I find that so useful and ubiquitous in my workflow that I can't imagine giving it up.

I don't know if I get the 1st part about breaking drag & drop. If you could drag onto a tab and let go without it opening, or hover with a file over it until it opened, I think that would be great.

Quote:

Oh, and you don't have to click to pick the window in Expose. Initiate the drag, hit Expose, and then hover over the target window. It will come up, and drop. Voila. One drag and drop, one Expose trigger in the middle. Unifies the drag and drop with the window selection in a nice manner.

This is true. However, it still means I have to drag the file to a location I then have to identify. With a tab, I know right where I'm going.

--B
  • Reply 12 of 51
    The Finder will be receiving some major changes now that the whole OS is moving towards metadata searching. The days of having several Finder windows open are coming to an end.

Adding tabs to the Finder would be useless at this point...and as Kickaha said, Expose takes care of window management elegantly.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    I don't see how tabs break drag and drop that badly (it should be the same as expose). My point is I don't want all the windows open that I need expose as badly.

I have enough windows open when I have 5 or more apps open. I want to "reduce the clutter".
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

Which we don't have.

But whatever.

That's fine. But other people feel differently about the window management system. I for one find it week, and that's because there's too much manual work involved in it. Clicking shortcuts and using Expose all the time is not a solution, it's a patchwork.

I like Expose, but as bergz said, there are quite a few steps to be taken when one uses it.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    kde has had this for quite a while now.

has been working quite well for me under kde-3.4.1
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

That's fine. But other people feel differently about the window management system. I for one find it week, and that's because there's too much manual work involved in it. Clicking shortcuts and using Expose all the time is not a solution, it's a patchwork.

I like Expose, but as bergz said, there are quite a few steps to be taken when one uses it.

Can you give me an example of how you use the Finder? I personally never have more than 3 Finder windows open, I usually only have 1 open...I'd like to hear how people use the Finder.

With the coming changes (moving to a metadata-rich system), moving files around and other such activities that may require more than one Finder window to be open, won't be as necessary.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

[B]Can you give me an example of how you use the Finder? I personally never have more than 3 Finder windows open, I usually only have 1 open...I'd like to hear how people use the Finder.

Well, I usually get a lot of files on my mail, pictures, but not necessarily pictures. It could be Word documents and soemtimes even PDFs. I group them into folders that I need to send out to people at work so they can process the images and then burn those folders into DVDs and send them to our archive.

I usually use 4+ Finder windows because I copy and paste a lot of images from one place to the other (sometimes I find duplicates, and that complicates the issue even more). I prefer to do this on the Finder window(s) itself instead of the Desktop, 'cause I usually keep my Desktop clear and uncluttered.

A tabbed Finder would save me quite some time as it takes a while to click into 4 different Finders until I get the right one.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Agreed kks, I usually only have a couple Finder windows open. I just don't need any more.

I understand that there are people who prefer tabs... I just can't figure out *why*. Every 'pro' I've heard for using tabs has a solution in MacOS X that doesn't require them.

I mean, does anyone like MDI on Windows? No? Then why do you like tabs? Same thing, as far as I can see.

Now, I *do* use a tabbed browser. Why? I don't drag and drop in a browser, the content is almost always the same size, that content is transitory, and that content takes up most of the screen.

None of which apply to most of my other apps.

Gene... I'm not sure I even understand the workflow you're trying to describe there... want to give it another shot?
  • Reply 19 of 51
    As an example of moving files...

At my job I maintain our Intranet and work on many of our file servers. Technically my main job is supposed to be maintaining our phone systems so I have one folder with shortcuts to connect to many of the systems using terminal.

At any given time I'm editing Job Openings on our intranet. Working with files on the IT share. Moving files in and out of my personal user folder on another share. Accessing a group share. And any number of other shares as required to help our users.

Right there I have 4 or 5 windows open and that is without really using that much. I also keep files temporarily stored on my desktop (downloads, etc.) that I may be moving as needed and often keep that window open.

Throw in that I have one to three terminal windows open at any given time, Apple Remote Desktop, Remote Desktop Connection, BBEdit, iTunes, Entourage, Word, Excel, Safari, and others open and it looks a little cluttered even if I hide or minimize an app I'm not using at this very moment...
  • Reply 20 of 51
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Look there should be no argument. People do things differently. it should be an option. That's what Apple's about.

As an idea of drag n drop, you could drag an item on to the Tab (the label) and it would automatically switch to viewing that one in the window. Safari should implement this as well (well anything with Tabs.) Hell Mail should have tabs...It should be System Wide! As an..OPTION. Because Tabs are a very old and universal UI concept that everyone already understands and many people like. Sooo why not?