Reason for 17 in PB Shortage: Replacement to be anounced at Apple Expo Paris

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The 17 inch PB's are declining in supply as they are being phased out for the a new 1920x1200 book, possibility with a larger physical display size. Unfortunately the screen isn't the right ratio for proper HD content (1920x1080), it can display it letterboxed no problem though.

Rumors suggest this new book may come with a G5 to handle Quicktimes new HD format. If so, perhaps the 15" will get a G5 at a shortly later date? Some rumors suggest this is the case for the mac mini as well (the stage is set for Apple to get a huge discount on the new 970FXa as they will not be purchased from IBM once Apple moves to Intel). I assume IBM will want to sell it's 970FXa's at any cost before it is too late.

In terms of the 12" PB, it looks like that will be discontinued without replacement. (high end iBook covers this market).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Umm...I'm thinking no...sorry. Nice wish though.\
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Do you have some inside info, or is this only speculation? I too find it hard to believe there will be a 970-based PowerBook - a 7448 makes much more sense. I also think the 12" PowerBook will not be replaced by the "high-end" iBook. What is the high-end iBook? The PB 12" is lighter, better keyboard, DVI out, etc. that make it desireable for on-the-go. It would be nice if it had a pc card slot, gigabit ethernet, and other family standard capabilities.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Granted, most 970fx's go to Apple. But reason doesn't suggest that IBM will do a firesale of 970fx's just because Apple is jumping onto "USS Intel".

Will Apple jump on the G5 bandwaggon for their professional laptop line for 1, maybe 2, iterations before Macintel hits the streets? As most around the forum have been arguing for the past 3 months, no...no...no. The 7448 will be a much more likely replacement until the new intel laptops in early 2006.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    yes, but the powerbook 17, as it is now, is way too expensive!!!! It's a pro notebook and you can't even play hd content on it! even the imac g5 is far far far better and CHEAPER (ok it's not a portable). Just look the difference of price between the ibook 14 and the powerbook 17? it's HUGE!!! all that for what more on a powerbook? not a HUGE difference at this time. So update the powerbook 17 for make it worth its price is for me THE THING TO DO, better sooner than later... i have to buy new mac on january 2006... my wish is the powerbook 17. Hope at this time, it will be different as today...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    The HD display will make it worth more, since it will be the only Apple laptop with that. Don't knock the 7448 either, if Apple has these chips already (which I question), they will greatly improve battery life and run much cooler. And maybe Apple will throw a price drop into the mix too.