iTunes Hurricane Aid: No foreign money allowed?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well, I heard about the iTMS Hurricane Aid so I checked it out on my ITMS Japan Store... No go. It's not available.. at least not yet.

So I went to the U.S. store. Yep, my Japanese credit card was rejected.

Out of curiousity, I checked a few of the other countries. Now I didn't have time to check out all of them but the few that I checked did not allow you to donate.

I guess Apple doesn't want money from foreign countries. Is this an oversight? Are the other countries to follow soon? Or is there some legal reason which makes it difficult to collect donations from foreign countries?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

Or is there some legal reason which makes it difficult to collect donations from foreign countries?

More likely than "Apple doesn't want money from foreign countries". Apple could care less where money came from, as long as it were legal and was allowed to be transferred through state jurisdictions without any legal repercusions.

I'm no lawyer, but I think that there are laws restricting donations from other countries. Others more inline with lawyery things may give a definite answer.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

Well, I heard about the iTMS Hurricane Aid so I checked it out on my ITMS Japan Store... No go. It's not available.. at least not yet.

So I went to the U.S. store. Yep, my Japanese credit card was rejected.

Out of curiousity, I checked a few of the other countries. Now I didn't have time to check out all of them but the few that I checked did not allow you to donate.

I guess Apple doesn't want money from foreign countries. Is this an oversight? Are the other countries to follow soon? Or is there some legal reason which makes it difficult to collect donations from foreign countries?

To donate, call your local chapter of the International Red Cross, surely they can direct the money to the right place.

I do not know if the Slalvation Army is equipped to handle international donations, but it is also worth checking into.