iBook - advice on refurb 500MHz / 64MB / 10GB / CD-ROM

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm a aspiring PC-to-Mac convert, but the iBook options are maddening.

The above is available on Apple's Special Deals site for $900.

<a href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/164/wo/BkBnA0EvvvJdLo64oE/1.7.0.3.30.1"; target="_blank">http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/164/wo/BkBnA0EvvvJdLo64oE/1.7.0.3.30.1</a>;

With a 256MB bump to 320MB ($72 from crucial.com), this seems like a pretty respectable machine for $972.

My intended usage: wireless web surfing, writing, light Office X, MP3 playback. DVD/combo drive not desired.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    That's an unbelievably smokin' deal. If you make the jump, you will be really glad you did. My iBook 600 is by far the best portable I've ever owned, and I paid almost double that much for it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    For what you need it for it's great. I've got the 500MHz DVD model and I love it. Definately go for it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    If you plan on having the machine for a long time you will not want an iBook with a 66MHz bus.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    But for that price, you could use the thing for a year and sell it for nearly what you paid for it.

When I bought my iBook 600 a couple of months ago, I had no problem finding a buyer for my blueberry iBook 300. Low-end laptops retain more of their value because even a semi-obsolete machine will still be worth $600 or so. Plenty of people pay that much for a machine to be used only for web, email and word processing.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I use that exact model for Office X and network troubleshooting. I listen to MP3s and watch movie trailers on it for a break or while I'm doing documentation work. I go wireless also and it's great. I don't think the 66MHz bus is that bad unless for what you want and it's resell value will be high. I've dropped mine 3 times and only broke the latch that keep the CD tray in, very durable!