Help with Finder column view

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I like to use the column view in Finder, but it always seems like the columns are too narrow, so each time i have to widen them to see the names of my files. How can i make it so the columns are permanently wider? Everytime i reopen it, i have to readjust the columns.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I believe you can accomplish that by a column size bar in the window you wish to change and then closing the window.

For me, the procedure was: open Home. Change the column size. Close the window. Since all of my browsing starts from Home, everything I subsequently click from there takes on the column size specified for Home.

The only problem is, the first time I open Home after logging in, the changes aren't apparent. I need to re-open the folder, for the Finder to use my column size. The correct column size then persists as long as I am logged in. I don't know if this has been fixed in Tiger.

I wish column sizes could be set on a per-folder basis.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    From memory I think if you perform a change while holding down the option key the default setting of the columns will be changed.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I have something similar I'd like to fix. My size column in list view is always way too skinny (can't handle 3 numbers and a decimal) and I have to resize it in every freaking folder. I've tried the option thing but doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

--B
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

From memory I think if you perform a change while holding down the option key the default setting of the columns will be changed.

Thanks! You rule!!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Jesus, option key. I don't know why I left that out. I'm useless.