Using OS X on a 17" CRT

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a Mac mini that I'm using with my Dell 17 inch CRT display. I have run into some trouble using some of the menus. Some of the larger ones go below the screen and there is no way to access the bottom portion. This is especially bad when the OK and cancel buttons are down there. For example, I was browsing through the preferences in Mail today, when I clicked on rules, and then "Add Rule." The bottom part where I could click Cancel or OK was below the screen, and there was no way to close the window. After trying everything, I ended up having to force-quit the program. From what it looks like to me, there is no way a user with a 17 inch display can even access that option in Mail. Is there something I'm missing, like a view option or something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Higher Resolution, maybe?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Well, I'm running 1240 x 768. Anything higher than that on this monitor seems tiny.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? Press shift-apple-3 on your keyboard to make one.

Either that or email it to me... jeremyabATshawDOTca

(Make that into a real email address by substituting an @ for AT and a period for DOT.)
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I did make one mistake, I said the preference selection was "Add Rule" when it was actually "Edit" under the rule tab.

Under this window is the Cancel/OK selection. You can see it in expose, but there is no way to click it, short of temporarily changing my screen resolution.

• Reply 5 of 13
    Well it looks as though you want any e-mail that contains "apple.com"...so why not do just that instead of adding every specific case? Scared that some junkmail that might contain apple.com might squeeze through?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Um...no? Those are the default settings. Like I said, I can't change them.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Ah...I see what you mean. I can delete the entries to bring the bottom up.

But there have been other menus that this has happened to as well. And those can't be edited.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GogDog

But there have been other menus that this has happened to as well. And those can't be edited.

Can you show us what other menus?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Well, I'm running 1240 x 768. Anything higher than that on this monitor seems tiny.

can you do 1024 by 768? that's probably the correct res for that screen.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Yeah, that's my normal resolution. The other window that I found that was too big was the "Get Info" screen for various files, like picutres. But, similiar to what I have found in the Mail preference, there are aspects of it that can be collapsed, so I guess it's an easy workaround.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

It'd be waay higher than that, a 17" LCD runs at 1280x1024 if it's a regular square monitor, CRT's can go much higher than that.

I'd say his problem is that he's running the CRT in a widescreen ratio at 1280x768 and the monitor doesn't like it, bumping it to 1280x1024 should fix it up.

(edit) OK, made a bit of a stuff up, you say you're running in 1024x768 now, OK maybe you have some sort of overscan problem or you need to adjust the image position using the monitor's built-in controls, there should be some way of adjusting the position of the image through some of the on-screen menus. (edit)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Um...no? Those are the default settings. Like I said, I can't change them.

D'oh...my bad. I didn't realize this was Apple's own default rule.

Looks like sheets need a new UI to accommodate them going off the screen. :/
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

D'oh...my bad. I didn't realize this was Apple's own default rule.

Looks like sheets need a new UI to accommodate them going off the screen. :/

that's the word: ratio...right ratio not resolution...damn words