Madonna, Little Richard to star in Motorola ROKR campaign

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Sory, I didn't realize there was a rule in here about not expressing your opinion.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You can express your opinion all you want here, but have some common sense! Nothing has been presented to prove that this upcoming "ad" is anything more than a rumor-monger's wet dream. I personally think this shove-everyone-into-a-phone-booth concept is kinda sketchy and unlikely.

I guess we'll see when the phone is released.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rmitch

Apple should be ashamed to have their name and class-act reputation attached to this truly stupid and seedy ad. MOT should really have consulted with them and their agency, Chiat-Day, I believe -- who did the really great iPod "dancing silhouette" commercials, and come up with something appropriate and memorable. A shame, and I hope this is a bogus rumor.

Getting a little carried away?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    See my reply to Cosmonut.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    where's the new apple Switch ads? oh, i remember, they wasted several thousand dollars on doing it halfway through and then saying, nah, fuck it, whatevs.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

where's the new apple Switch ads? oh, i remember, they wasted several thousand dollars on doing it halfway through and then saying, nah, fuck it, whatevs.

You are absolutely right! There hasn't been a SINGLE MacMini ad produced, either print or TV, and the that was supposed to be the engine for the Switch Strategy. And to blow such an opportunity was incredible -- and made me question whether Steve is all the genius that he's cracked up to be.

He is a genius, I think, at innovation and industrial design, but he couldn't market his way out of a paper bag without the help of really smart ad people like the ones at Chiat/Day that put the truly remarkable iPod campaign together. You know they had to be chomping at the bit to get their hands around a fantastic MacMini -- Switch campaign .... and it never materialized. This was a truly stupid blunder ... almost as big as not patenting things when they should have been and stepping all over other patents that already existed. Bummer!
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Apple may have felt they learned a lesson from the iMac G5 ads. Remember they pushed the whole "From the makers of the iPod" thing? Yeah, the iMacs are FLYING off the shelves!

• Reply 28 of 34
    All Madonna albums are NOW on itunes music store!!!!!!

The sign Madonna is really in the promotion for the phone...
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Apple may have felt they learned a lesson from the iMac G5 ads. Remember they pushed the whole "From the makers of the iPod" thing? Yeah, the iMacs are FLYING off the shelves!

Uh...last I checked, Apple's selling a lot of computers and making a good profit. They're at the top of their game right now.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

Uh...last I checked, Apple's selling a lot of computers and making a good profit. They're at the top of their game right now.

I should clarify my statement: iMac G5's specifically aren't flying off the shelves. Yes, they're doing better because of the "halo effect" (which, by the way is a stupid term), but the ad campaign for the iMac G5 kind of flopped like every other campaign Apple's done for its Macs.

Apple gets better publicity and exposure through the media and the "halo effect" than any advertising they've ever put out (except for the 1984 ad).
  • Reply 31 of 34
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Well, it's real. I just saw the commercial on TV. It was bad enough on paper but it's actually much worse in application.

It's just like reported except the phone booth is in the middle of the desert with people coming out of tents and riding up on camels. I'm not kidding. The Hendrix and Biggie Smalls impersonators are really bad. Hendrix looks like that guy from that 90's band Dee-Lite. Anyone remember them? There was a guy who wore a big hat and funky looking sunglasses. Never mind. Biggie Smalls is shown only from behind and it still doesn't look like him. He's kind of far away from the booth when Madonna says "Biggie No!" so you're like, what the hell is her problem?

It's a very short commercial so everything happens so fast you don't have a chance to digest it. I don't know how else to explain it. The premise is simple: cramming artists into a phone booth eludes to cramming songs into the phone. It's so poorly implemented however, that you are left wondering what the hell is going on. I only remember Iggy Pop's face smashed up against the glass. Shudder. If I didn't know ahead of time I wouldn't know what they were selling.

The Cingular commercial aired right after it and it was like night and day. It was much more like an Apple commercial with the person walking down the street while their shadow or reflection danced to the beat.

No big deal but I though I would report on it as it shows the difference in ad agencies I guess. A bad idea gone horribly wrong.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Wow. Stepping into PsychedelicInsider here...

Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

...It's just like reported except the phone booth is in the middle of dessert with people coming out of tents and riding up on camels.

F-F-Funky

Quote:

Originally posted by 1984 I'm not kidding. The Hendrix and Biggie Smalls impersonators are really bad. Hendrix looks like that guy from that 90's band Dee-Lite. Anyone remember them? There was a guy who wore a big hat and funky looking sunglasses.

How could I forget. Ten years ago they were sharing their hash at a concert here. Grove was in the house that day for sure...

Well a crap product. Why should the commercial be any different? You have the ad companies you deserve...
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Well, it's real. I just saw the commercial on TV. It was bad enough on paper but it's actually much worse in application.

It's just like reported except the phone booth is in the middle of the desert with people coming out of tents and riding up on camels. I'm not kidding. The Hendrix and Biggie Smalls impersonators are really bad. Hendrix looks like that guy from that 90's band Dee-Lite. Anyone remember them? There was a guy who wore a big hat and funky looking sunglasses. Never mind. Biggie Smalls is shown only from behind and it still doesn't look like him. He's kind of far away from the booth when Madonna says "Biggie No!" so you're like, what the hell is her problem?

It's a very short commercial so everything happens so fast you don't have a chance to digest it. I don't know how else to explain it. The premise is simple: cramming artists into a phone booth eludes to cramming songs into the phone. It's so poorly implemented however, that you are left wondering what the hell is going on. I only remember Iggy Pop's face smashed up against the glass. Shudder. If I didn't know ahead of time I wouldn't know what they were selling.

The Cingular commercial aired right after it and it was like night and day. It was much more like an Apple commercial with the person walking down the street while their shadow or reflection danced to the beat.

No big deal but I though I would report on it as it shows the difference in ad agencies I guess. A bad idea gone horribly wrong.

Sounds even worse than what I had imagined from the rumor of the ad. I hope the Apple name wasn't too prominent in this piece of crap.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Haha. Bert from the used is in the background on the camel. That is the only good thing about this commercial. And you can barely see him anyhow. But he's still there.