Questions/problems with Panther

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, so I just upgraded my system to Panther from 10.2.8. I noticed that some fonts like in certain sites with Camino & my AIM buddy list dont look the same. They are all set to what they were before as well. Also is there any way to turn off brushed metal for everything (i.e. when you open HD)??? When I looked in finder prefs & system prefs I couldnt see anything. Can I get the highlight like in Jaguar so there isnt that circular box when you highlight somethin on the desktop??? I also had a kernal panic soon after I installed....was listnin to music on iTunes so it might have to do with my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

Ok, so I just upgraded my system to Panther from 10.2.8. I noticed that some fonts like in certain sites with Camino & my AIM buddy list dont look the same. They are all set to what they were before as well.

Sorry, can't help you with that one... except I seem to recall that they did change a font (but kept the same name), making it more compact. Which font is it?

Quote:

Also is there any way to turn off brushed metal for everything (i.e. when you open HD)???

No. (Unless you don't want a sidebar or toolbar. In that case, just click the lozenge button at the top right of a finder window.)

Quote:

Can I get the highlight like in Jaguar so there isnt that circular box when you highlight somethin on the desktop???

No. I really hated the new way when I first started using panther, but it grew on me a lot. It is much easier to tell what is selected and what isn't (In 10.3, there is significantly less potential for an icon to look selected when it actually is not and visa versa.) Hopefully you'll come to like it to.

Quote:

I also had a kernal panic soon after I installed....was listnin to music on iTunes so it might have to do with my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card.

I seem to recall mentions of this on XLR8yourmac. Do you have the latest firmware and drivers for the card?

Sorry all that probably wasn't what you wanted to hear. Good Luck.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    thanks for the reply

yea it seems to be more compact. i cant tell which font it is because it varies from site to site, some sites make it look really bad (for instance yahoo). my AIM font is set on the default lucida grande, everything looks the same except for the main buddy list.

in camino preferences are set to:

choose fonts for: western

proportional (serif): times, 16 pt

monospace: courier, 13 pt

firefox was the same....its set to default what it was before on 10.2.8.

i noticed some people had the brushed metal gone with the sidebar or toolbar, i guess they are using an application to do this then. the brushed metal look on everything is tacky imo, it only works good for apps like itunes.

also other things i noticed-

some images in preview dont appear their actual size but instead really small, and the zoom in/zoom out tool doesnt appear. some are said to be currupt or format preview doesnt recognize even though they worked fine before.

when tryin to unstuff some items im told that stuffit requires 8.0.0 version or later even though i have 8.0.2

so far im not likin panther
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

so far im not likin panther

I'm going to ask the painfully obvious question:

You did run the software update to bring it to 10.3.9, right?

By the way, welcome to a little more...um...current OS. You're almost there!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Yes of course

I didnt wanna go to Tiger because I've heard it has lots of bugs still and I'm weary. Needed to upgrade to 10.3.9 cuz a lot of apps need it to upgrade now.