Should I buy a 4th Gen iPod now...or wait for the 5th?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I currently have a 20 GB 2nd Gen iPod and am ready to trade up and get a 60GB photo iPod.

I've been reading and reading forums on various sites discussing the possible upcoming 5th Generation iPod.

Would anyone here care to speculate as to when the next generation iPod might be out? I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and get a new one now or wait. I can certainly wait for a month or two, but not six or seven.

There are speculations that it will do video -- something which I have no interest in. I am more interested in general improvements to battery life, usability, etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argelius

I currently have a 20 GB 2nd Gen iPod and am ready to trade up and get a 60GB photo iPod.

I've been reading and reading forums on various sites discussing the possible upcoming 5th Generation iPod.

Would anyone here care to speculate as to when the next generation iPod might be out? I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and get a new one now or wait. I can certainly wait for a month or two, but not six or seven.

There are speculations that it will do video -- something which I have no interest in. I am more interested in general improvements to battery life, usability, etc.

Thanks!

In my humble opinion there will be one by January at the absolute latest. I am holidng out for it too, as I am not that big a fan of the current large iPods. With a bit of luck, it will be released in time for Christmas.

It looks like this month will be updates for the mini and shuffle, but I have heard little mention of larger updates, so my comments are pure speculation and hunch.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Wait until after the announcements this week. If something's been upgraded and you still only wanted the old version, the old stock will be discounted to get rid of it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I myself is at a lose because I too want to buy a iPod fairly soon. I currently have an iPod mini (1st generation) but hate the battery life on it. I also find myself running out of room for any new music on it. Since they are saying there will be no Keynote speaker in Paris, i'm waiting for tomorrow to make my decision. I don't need a iPod video, however, would like to get a newer version of the current iPod.

Apple loves to cause speculations and hype about products! I hate it
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You should be able to make your decision after the announcements tomorrow.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Well I got my 20gb photo today, and love it. The nano is nice but does not fit my needs! Sorry to see the mini go!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    No 5th generation iPod announced. My 60GB is arriving today.Whoo-whoo!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    You'll be very happy with it

Quote:

Originally posted by Argelius

No 5th generation iPod announced. My 60GB is arriving today.Whoo-whoo!

• Reply 8 of 8
    id wait! ive heard they will come out in october. so stick with it. plus they will have a new look prob. so just wait a little longer.