First Thoughts on Nano

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I think it's a very cool design. I can't believe that it is so freakin small, yet still has a color screen. My only really qualm is the price. 2 GB for 200 bucks?? When you were offering a larger size for the same ammount, then drop the storage just for a color screen but expect the same price, thats a little ridiculous. It's cute tho.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    I love it! I'm probably going to order one today or tomorrow. iTunes 5 is really nice as well.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The thinness of that thing

Don´t place it so you can only see it from the side because then you can´t see it.

But I liked the green mini and the orice for this new thing is quite expensive GB for GB compared to the mini.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    I like it, very slick design (the black is gorgeous too!), but it's not for me. I find the larger iPod design much more comfortable, and I like the extra space too.

Apple's servers must really be getting hammered. I have a 2mb cable connection and am only getting 8.4kb/s on my iTunes 5 download. Over 20mins for just under 14mb
  • Reply 4 of 57
    First Thoughts? well i'm sorry to be so crude but 'How the F*** did they do that'

2nd thoughts ' they have done it agean"
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Quite simply amazed. I have an ipod Shuffle 1GB but now maxed out.

This will be my next purchase.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Damn! They're going to sell the shit out of that thing.

Earlier this year I kicked myself for not buying apple stock before it shot up. Guess I still could of... or could.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    In looking at the system requirements, it appears USB 2.0 is needed for the iPod Nano.

I am kind of an idiot in this regard, but perhaps someone could enlighten me.

I currently have a flat-panel iMac G4 1Ghz with FireWire and USB 1.x. My current iPod shuffle works fine with this.

Would the iPod Nano work with my current computer, I would I need a USB 2.0 port?

Thanks in advance for your advice and input!

• Reply 8 of 57
    And have you seen these!!

not my thing, having a big 'Mug Me' sign above my head but, how cool
  • Reply 9 of 57
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slackula

In looking at the system requirements, it appears USB 2.0 is needed for the iPod Nano.

I currently have a flat-panel iMac G4 1Ghz with FireWire and USB 1.x. My current iPod shuffle works fine with this.

Would the iPod Nano work with my current computer, I would I need a USB 2.0 port?

It supports USB 1.1 and 2.0
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slackula

I would imagine you could use USB 1.x, but they don't recommend it because of the speed. Also, I believe the reason it "requires" USB over Firewire is because it is supplied with a USB-dock connector cable, if USB 1.x is too slow, I'd buy a firewire cable...
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quick question: Since it doesn't come with an AC Adapter, does it charge through the computer using USB?

And, If I buy the dock, will it still charge through the computer, or will the dock have an AC adapter to plug into the wall and charge from there?
  • Reply 12 of 57
    iPod nano?

Genius. Pure genius.

1. Bleeding-edge design. Looks gorgeous.

2. Color screen, ability to store photos and no hard drive. That alone makes it worth the purchase.

3. Choice of only white or black is inspired. You want colors? Just buy the mini-colored Tubes for $29.99. Apple gets to upsell you to an accessory, which will also protect your precious investment against nasty scratches. And you don't have to limit yourself to just one color. Absolutely brilliant marketing move. Whoever came up with this idea deserves a promotion.

4. Bye-bye, mini. Hello nano. No need to worry about "cannibalizing" sales now.

I thought I wanted a shuffle. Nope. I'll pay the extra dosh for the nano.

GTSC
  • Reply 13 of 57
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    OH MY GOD!

THEY KILLED MINI!

• Reply 14 of 57
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    <me holding a placard at a traffic intersection>"will work for nano"
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Anyone who knows if the camera connector works with the nano?
  • Reply 16 of 57
    First impression: I love it. It's sexy. It's slim.

Flash Space 2gb and 4gb? Hmm. smaller than the mini - BUT - increased battery life, colour and so slim? I'll trade. Consider that my two cents. Also - new features - games, stopwatch and the like? Does this mean new firmware for existing iPods? (probably not )

Second impression - I'm so god damn glad I bought the PRP on my Shuffle and just got caught in a rainstorm (no signs of water damage, but the sucker don't work - hellooooo nano (when it comes in...).

I love it. I want one. I must have one.

Now... black or white?
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Sweet....
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Sweet....

The Nano looks great. I wonder how long it will take flash drive capacities to get up to the 8GB and 10GB range. I guess I can stop waiting for a 8GB mini... *hugs silver 6GB mini*
  • Reply 19 of 57
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grahamw

Flash Space 2gb and 4gb? Hmm. smaller than the mini - BUT - increased battery life, colour and so slim?

Actually battery life is decreased from the 18 hours of the old minis and by all accounts most minis significantly exceeded that.

As an aside I wonder if PortalPlayer or SigmaTel chips are being used in these.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

As an aside I wonder if PortalPlayer or SigmaTel chips are being used in these.

Usually doesn't long to find out.