Apple and Motorola introduce iTunes phone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple, Motorola and Cingular Wireless today announced the availability of the world?s first mobile phone with iTunes, enabling users to transfer up to 100 of their favorite songs from the iTunes jukebox on their Mac or PC to their mobile phone.

Apple?s iTunes software on the Motorola ROKR phone features easy to use menus, simple navigation and playback, and the ability to simply switch from phone to music and back again with the push of a dedicated music key. The new Motorola ROKR is available today at www.cingular.com and will be sold exclusively in all Cingular retail locations beginning tomorrow.

?We?ve worked closely with Motorola to deliver the world?s best music experience on a mobile phone,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. ?We?re also thrilled to be working with Cingular, the largest wireless carrier in the US, to bring this pioneering phone to market.?

The ROKR has a color display for viewing album art and features built-in dual-stereo speakers, as well as stereo headphones that also serve as a mobile headset with microphone.

Users can randomly autofill or manually fill the mobile phone with playlists from their favorite music, audiobooks and Podcasts from their iTunes library via a USB connection. The ROKR pauses music automatically when users take a call and offers the ability to listen to music while messaging with friends or snapping a photo.

Pricing & Availability

The new Motorola ROKR with iTunes pre-installed is available for $249.99 (US) with a two-year commitment at all Cingular stores nationwide and includes stereo headphones and a USB cable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Kanye West closed out the show. Why am I not surprised.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    So "iPod player interface" hack and iTunes intergration.

They needed to do A LOT more if I was to favor this over the k750i.

Does it have radio? What kind of camera? Why such sucky design?

And the price? WTF? That what I pay for the k750 with a 6 month contract.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I think the iTunes phone is terrible. The iPod nano is a great device, but the phone is a complete disappointment. I really expected Apple to either have licensed iTunes for phones for flagship phones like the RAZR/SLVR/Q series or to have come out with something truly innovative and cool.

Instead we get a boring candy-bar phone.

Maybe the interface is actually good for the rest of the phone, but I doubt I will be buying one.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    No worries. I'll just get the next Treo model and stick the Nano to the back when I need it :P
  • Reply 5 of 57
    The most important thing (for me atleast) about this phone is whether or not it has:

PERFECT iCAL syncing

if it doesn't, good bye apple and...well, welcome msft...because I'm simply tired of waiting for a decent device to carry with me that will keep my contacts, tasks, and phone numbers WITHOUT messing them up during syncing...

does anyone know if it has iSync capabilities?
  • Reply 6 of 57
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    when they're offering itunes for windows/mac, why not just get version(s) out for symbian OS's??

now that would be interesting!

(sorry if this topic has been beaten to death elsewhere...)
  • Reply 7 of 57
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    iPod nano=fantastic

ROKR=craptacular
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

No worries. I'll just get the next Treo model and stick the Nano to the back when I need it :P

HA HA HA !

Excellent posting !

Zon

• Reply 9 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This actually LOOKS like a Trio (which I can't stand).

Well, they say that expensive phones don't sell, but that's not true. I just bought a Sanyo MM 5600 for my daughter who is starting High school tommorrow. With the discounts it came to $330. It was out of stock in almost all of the Sprint stores. The same with the other hi-end phones.

This doesn't really seem that much out of line.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    New? Now, I suggest everyone hops over to Moto's website and takes a close look at the Motorola E398... which seems to be the very same cellphone, only without iTunes - and (in Germany) for 90 Euros less (about 112 US $)

durandal
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by durandal

New? Now, I suggest everyone hops over to Moto's website and takes a close look at the Motorola E398... which seems to be the very same cellphone, only without iTunes - and (in Germany) for 90 Euros less (about 112 US $)

durandal

Does it have the same amount of flash?
  • Reply 12 of 57
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    grrrr!

Locked phone!!

grrrr!

It is teh suck if you travel to and fro out of the USA

can't swap out sim chips!!!

grrrr!
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

grrrr!

Locked phone!!

grrrr!

It is teh suck if you travel to and fro out of the USA

can't swap out sim chips!!!

grrrr!

Maybe the versions sold abroad will have them. It seems to be more popular there.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    a/uxa/ux Posts: 38member
    After thinking about this for a bit, I have changed my tune (no pun intended). The ROKR will probably be a success for Apple because it will introduce a whole new group of folks to the iTMS. These folks will quickly fill their phones and realize that they want a device that has more storage. This will further spur iPod sales.

If it is a Moto phone, then it makes sense that Apple would not want it to have a click wheel or hold a large number of songs. I still think that Apple would have better success by adding phone capabilities to the iPod. It would not even need a keypad if I could just scroll through my contact list. Hiding a keypad in a slider design wouldn't hurt though.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    I'm not buying until I can buy a phone with mobile versions of iCal and Address Book, plus maybe even Mail and iChat (for text messaging), that sync perfectly. Oh and it has to be a filp phone. Exposed keypads are not user friendly.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

I'm not buying until I can buy a phone with mobile versions of iCal and Address Book, plus maybe even Mail and iChat (for text messaging), that sync perfectly. Oh and it has to be a filp phone. Exposed keypads are not user friendly.

You mean you won't buy an iTunes phone? Because this will most likely not happen unless Apple makes the phone themselves.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    The phone is crap. Perhaps Apple wanted to see the reaction of people and the press, i.e. if there is demand for an Apple branded phone.

The iPod nano is cool, might pick one up on saturday if I can.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Motorola has supplied Apple with such cutting edge, blazing fast PowerPC chips it's no wonder they turned to them for a cell phone.

I love the fact this phone is not even supported by iSync currently. I wish they could have partnered with Sony-Ericsson.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I also expected more.

The Rockr is just ok. Its still nowhere near the Razr

This is probably just the beginning of Apple licensing iTunes for cell phones. To gain momentum before MS can get a foot hold.

With out a doubt Apple is working on their own phone in the labs. Will they actually release it as a product is anther question.

This would be the phone that could sync with Address Book, iCal, iPhoto and so on.

Apple has to play things pretty cool. When they put resources behind a product it needs to succeed.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Motorola has supplied Apple with such cutting edge, blazing fast PowerPC chips it's no wonder they turned to them for a cell phone.

I love the fact this phone is not even supported by iSync currently. I wish they could have partnered with Sony-Ericsson.

Are you sure about that? I thought I read somewhere today that it did.

If I did, and can find it, I'll post it here.