Apple unveils iPod nano

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cube

Is there anyone that know if the Nano can be used as a thumb drive just like the shuffeles? Ore as a hd like the big iPods?

MAX

YES!

Read this;

http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/today...dies/index.php
  • Reply 42 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Do you get paid by the post?

Gee, I didn't think someone was keeping track

When I catch up to some of the guys with several thousand, I'll stop. Ok?
  • Reply 43 of 105
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

YES!

Read this;

http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/today...dies/index.php

I didn't se any infor about this on that page?...
  • Reply 44 of 105
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I'm annoyed that they didn't keep the iPod minis (make them 6GB and 8GB) as well and introduce the nano separately. Also nano is a crap name.

But the nano looks awesome and I love the black look - the white doesn't look as good because of the disproportionate click-wheel - also the nano is slightly too long and narrow. However, i love the world clock and screen lock function - I just hope they intro it for the iPods. Also love the blue circle next to the new podcasts - very useful. Headphone on bottom will be slightly awkward while holding it and I wonder how the Apple store will sell them - they'll have to use a dock and have the headphones come out the line-out?
  • Reply 45 of 105
    Maybe its just me, but it seems that you cant use the remote with these.. I like my remote !
  • Reply 46 of 105
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

When I catch up to some of the guys with several thousand, I'll stop. Ok?

We have another EmAn on our hands.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    Im disapointed that the ipod update dosnt update teh world clock and screen lock, etc for the regular iPod. Usualy Apple has compatiblity of updates with previous iPods, etc.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It'll be a hit. Shuffle sales are screwed. This is the ultimate definition of "upsell......."

I disagree. Price is still a major factor for many. That's why there are 3X as many CD-Walkmen as there are MP3 players.

There is a huge market of people who cannot or will not pay *at least* $199 for an iPod, but for whom $99 is acceptable. That sub-$100 price is a major psychological barrier crossed.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    While this threatens the low end Shuffle sales no more than iPod mini did, frankly I think it's game over for the 1GB shuffle. They are not a good cost proposition anymore.

They should have kept the mini. (Maybe they'll bring it back once they can do it at an attractive price and 8GB, though?)

I understand small size is good and people like it, but for everybody there is a point where it's small enough. Mobile phones reached that point for me years ago. I don't think I would want to sacrifice a couple GB's of storage to make a player smaller than the mini.

If you use your player as a storage device for files, wasn't it that flash memory "wears out" quicker than a hard drive when you write to it? Is this an issue in the nano?

nano is a good name.
  • Reply 50 of 105
    This is the iTunes 5 board isn't it? Enough with the iPods. I want to know how to use the new Smart Shuffle. I looked everywhere and can't find it. I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet. Or am I the only one that can't find it

Edit: Never mind, I found it
  • Reply 51 of 105
    The new form factor is really cool. Anyone knows when the nano is expected to hit the Apple stores? This Friday?
  • Reply 52 of 105
    Oh, for those who were complaining that the podcasts, videos, audiobooks, booklets.... etc. were all thrown into the music library. I initially thought this was a bad move too. But it's actually a good one!

Go to Edit > Show search bar. And now you have buttons you can press to select what media you'd like to see. It's great. brilliant. Apple knows what its doing
  • Reply 53 of 105
    great looking design, but a shame to see the mini go

Too bad I really dont need one, already having a 1GB shuffle, and a 40GB 4G....

... already ordered an engraved black nano for my girlfriend however
  • Reply 54 of 105
    n3on3o Posts: 56member
    damn.

• Reply 55 of 105
    ipod nano tubes

worst. accessory name. ever.

(also, the colours listed in the apple store dont match the picture!)
  • Reply 56 of 105
    I agree about releasing the new firmware. I don;t care about the clock or lock (rhyme not intentional). I want the blue dots by the podcast!

I also wouldn't be surprised if they nixed the mini so that some day the big o'l fashion iPods could get smaller.

i also can't wait to see the accessories for this one.

I wonder how the profit on the nano compares to the 4g and the [late] minis
  • Reply 57 of 105
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by starwxrwx

ipod nano tubes

worst. accessory name. ever.

Have to agree - sounds like cable sleeving.

This nano is kinda cool. yet to use itunes 5, but from the pictures it looks cool too.

Anybody know why there was a shortage of 2.7ghz powermacs if this is just a music update? Or was that rumor all wrong?

Bit let down by the phone - I was expecting something a little less... normal?
  • Reply 58 of 105
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    This Marketwatch article actually has video from the keynote. They have the unveiling of the nano and the ROKR phone. It's a single camera thing, but they managed to get direct audio from the sound system.
  • Reply 59 of 105
    but you can watch it on apple.com
  • Reply 60 of 105
    666666 Posts: 134member
    seems like pretty pointless product, really. Have apple really gotten this lazy, releasing something that is what the mini should have been anyway?