Apple unwraps iTunes 5

Comments

• Reply 41 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Am I the only person who gets an error message ("Please quit iTunes before beginning this update.") repeatedly flash up when trying to install? I restarted and didn't even open iTunes and it still did it...

Will I have to wait for Software Update to get it?

You can't have itunes open. that message come up for me, so i quite out of itune and then pressed 'ok'.
  • Reply 42 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Well, I have it installed now. First I closed AudioScrobbler, not sure if that had anything to do with it. But it still wouldn't work, then I stopped SizzlingKeys. When I did that it worked!

Okay so my first thought when I got this was: Why do I have over 4000 songs in my library? Last time I looked there was only 3900 odd... The answer: Podcasts. So now Podcasts are stored in the Music Library as well as having their own section in the Source? That's awful. Truly. I liked how they seemed to be splitting the sections up; hell I wanted a Videos and Audiobook Libraries like we had the Podcast Library. But now Everything gets crammed into "Music" Library??? That's not good at all. Also "Podcast" should be an Artist...

I disagree. This is actually much simpler. Your Library should be everything in iTunes, and then you can play from there. And to completely eliminate the problem you are having, simply press Shift-Command-B and hit "Music". It's a very simple fix.
  • Reply 43 of 162
    Hey--this is GREAT! 5.0 gave me an extra 8 GB of hard drive space!

Had about 1 GB free on my 60 GB iPod...

- updated to 5.0

- added Rolling Stones Bigger Bang

- now shows 8.7 GB available!

Obviously something wrong here.
  • Reply 44 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

What is that?

It enables you to create global hotkeys which can be used within any application. So I press command-alt-space to play/pause iTunes, without the need to open iTunes or command-tab to it then hitting the spacebar. Details can be found at yellowmug.com/sk4it

Quote:

Originally posted by Fox Hound

You can't have itunes open. that message come up for me, so i quite out of itune and then pressed 'ok'.

Like I said later on, I had quit and the reason I was getting error messages was because of SizzlingKeys and/or AudioScrobbler were still running.

Quote:

Originally posted by eekles77

I disagree. This is actually much simpler. Your Library should be everything in iTunes, and then you can play from there. And to completely eliminate the problem you are having, simply press Shift-Command-B and hit "Music". It's a very simple fix.

I guess it's just the layout. For Podcasts, that Podcast section's layout is great. For browsing music, the normal library layout is great, but not so good for browsing Podcasts.

Your fix however is excellent. In fact I think that iTunes should have the option to be able to create libraries based on those headings on the search bar - for me I'd have them all split: Music, Video & Audiobooks, with the special Podcast one acting as the Podcast Library. I say again this would be optional.
  • Reply 45 of 162
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Still no gapless encoding or gapless playback. Sigh. \
  • Reply 46 of 162
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Still no gapless encoding or gapless playback. Sigh. \

There must be some reason why they haven't included it. I'm sure they'd like to but something is restricting it.
  • Reply 47 of 162
    As pretty as the new design is etc, i'm still miffed by one thing, and refuse to believe that it's something that can't be fixed...

When you rip a mix cd, it puts gaps between tracks. To me, this is just unacceptable... I listen to a hell of a lot of DJ mixes, and I get so frustrarted when the tracks skip, cut or crossfade, ruining the whole flow.

Not all of us are shuffle freaks, some of us still love listening to albums as the artist/DJ intended!

Am I missing something here...?

f
  • Reply 48 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

I know many don't like this... but I'm a fan of gradients... except on cheesey car paint jobs. I'd love to see your renditions. The Menu Bar has it too now. Maybe it will produce a 3-D display with Leopard out and the mactels speaking everything to you. You'll still need fancy glasses though.

The old iTunes had a gradient. Open up any finder / safari window, and you will see the center is lighter than the edges.
  • Reply 49 of 162
    There is one thing I definitely wish they had kept from the previous interface. Since you can drag anything "metal" on the window, you could grab the left or right edge of the iTunes 4 window and drag it all OS 8 style. I'm not sure I like the sources and songs going all the way to the edges of the window.
  • Reply 50 of 162
    I find it very odd that apple didn't just wait to unleash the new GUI.

I remember back when people used to complain about having pinstripe and metal for random reasons.

Now I have Pinstripe, Metal, and Aqua Gray (What do you call this thing?!). According to someone else, they have two different shades of Aqua Gray!

Another two things I've Noticed. The "light" behind the buttons on the bottom appear...different. Also the search bar greys out, instead of staying white.

I whish I knew what apple had in store for the rest of the GUI.
  • Reply 51 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by CRHain88

I find it very odd that apple didn't just wait to unleash the new GUI.

I remember back when people used to complain about having pinstripe and metal for random reasons.

Now I have Pinstripe, Metal, and Aqua Gray (What do you call this thing?!). According to someone else, they have two different shades of Aqua Gray!

Another two things I've Noticed. The "light" behind the buttons on the bottom appear...different. Also the search bar greys out, instead of staying white.

I whish I knew what apple had in store for the rest of the GUI.

Yeah. One of the arguments in favor of Apple back in the day was their user interface guidelines and the research they did to develop them. Now Apple seems to make up the UI as they go along and violate whatever "principles" they feel. Sure, the UI is still "slick" and "lickable", but it really feels like they're losing sight of something.

With this new GUI of the week approach, why can't they develop a skinnable UI and let us users have some of the fun too?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 52 of 162
    can anyone put a screen shot on of itunes 5 of window. to show us mac userly how much better ours looks.

thanks
  • Reply 53 of 162
    666666 Posts: 134member
    Big whoop... The folders are years overdue anyway, but where's FLAC & OGG support. Get you head out of your arse Apple and actually treat your customers with a bit of respect. Apple lossless is all well and good, but couldn't they have just implement direct conversion of FLAC & OGG into Lossless? That would even be ok... I just get this sinking feeling whenever a company goes the 'proprietary' way, it's all about market control, and has nothing to do with the customer. I really hoped apple would have picked up the ball with iTunes 5 towards being a real complete music listening solution...
  • Reply 54 of 162
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fosman

When you rip a mix cd, it puts gaps between tracks. To me, this is just unacceptable... I listen to a hell of a lot of DJ mixes, and I get so frustrarted when the tracks skip, cut or crossfade, ruining the whole flow.

Does it still do this for you even after you've set Settings->Burning->"Gap Between Songs" to "none"? I'm pretty sure I got continuous play last time I burned a CD with those settings.
  • Reply 55 of 162
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fosman

As pretty as the new design is etc, i'm still miffed by one thing, and refuse to believe that it's something that can't be fixed...

Not all of us are shuffle freaks, some of us still love listening to albums as the artist/DJ intended!

Am I missing something here...?

f

In the preferences under burning, do you set the gap between songs to zero seconds? The default it 2. Maybe there is still a gap when it is set to none, but I've never noticed it.
  • Reply 56 of 162
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    I mentioned earlier the photoshop mockup that I'd made a few months ago of iTunes using the Mail.app look... Well, I've uploaded it to my iDisk and you can have a look at it here. It's quite a bit different now I look at them side by side. I'd missed a few controls out, and the grey gradient in iTunes is much darker than the unified toolbar look in Tiger, for instance. Interesting, nonetheless.

I've been using the Windows version at work today, and it looks quite a bit more cluttered than the Mac one thanks to the menu cramping the toolbar area.

A few items on my wishlist for v5.1:
    • On the search bar, only show me filter options for things I have in my library. I don't have any videos or booklets, so don't show those options!!!

• Move the volume control back where it was - it was so much tidier!

• Have an option for whether Podcasts show up in the main Library or not. That way we can leave Podcasts in their own section.

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 57 of 162
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

I pulled down iTunes 5 for Windows and so far I'm not impressed.

1) They did away with the title bar. Windows apps typically have an icon in the upper left corner of a window followed by the application name and possibly some other info (like the name of the open file). Apple has ignored this convention and mashed the menu into the tippy top of the window. And they've replaced the normal Windows minimize, maximize, and close buttons with their own (very small) ones.

I guess different strokes to different folks. I LOVE that. It makes it feel much more modern.

Quote:

5) They've dropped the brushed aluminum for a grey gradient.

That's my favorite part actually
  • Reply 58 of 162
    Oh man I hate this slick look compared to the brushed metal. And is the mini look with just the song name and buttons only available on Mac? Or how do I get it on windows?
  • Reply 59 of 162
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 666

Big whoop... The folders are years overdue anyway, but where's FLAC & OGG support. Get you head out of your arse Apple and actually treat your customers with a bit of respect. Apple lossless is all well and good, but couldn't they have just implement direct conversion of FLAC & OGG into Lossless? That would even be ok... I just get this sinking feeling whenever a company goes the 'proprietary' way, it's all about market control, and has nothing to do with the customer. I really hoped apple would have picked up the ball with iTunes 5 towards being a real complete music listening solution...

iTunes uses QuickTime for all of its encoding and decoding.

QuickTime is, despite what some people will try and tell you, open to expansion by anybody willing to write a plug-in. All apps that use QuickTime will then be able to import and export in that format. Including iTunes.

The OSS community that keeps touting the wonders of open source needs to get off their arses and write the plug-ins, instead of waiting for Apple to do it. All the tools, documentation, and APIs are free.

So, like, get to it.
  • Reply 60 of 162
    Two problems that I have:

1 - the repositioned volume slider. It looked much better under the play controls, and still lives there when the window is minimised. So why move it?

2 - new search. I find it mind-boggling that, as in the Finder, the new search bar doesn't resize with the window. It's just plain idiotic.