nVidia GeForce 4 (NV25)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
News is surfacing from various sites on the upcoming GeForce 4. It seems as if these cards could be released/shown as early as January/Febuary. Seems a little early to release a GeForce 4, since the GeForce Ti 500 isn't exactly old hash quite yet. If there is truth to this, perhaps nVidia will launch it or demo it on the new systems at MWSF? After all, the GeForce 3 was first released at MacWorld Tokyo last year. I think MWTY again could be possible if the GeForce 4 is coming out that fast.

Here are a few specs:

GeForce4 Ti 1000: This is the fastest graphics cards built on GeForce4 chip working at about 300MHz frequency. The card will have AGP 8x interface and 128MB DDR SDRAM memory working at 700MHz.

GeForce4 Ti 500: This is a bit slower solution with around 275MHz chip frequency and 600MHz memory frequency. Although it will have AGP 4x interface, the card will still come with 128MB graphics memory.

GeForce4 MX 460: This is the eldest representative of the GeForce4 MX family. It will probably have 4 rendering pipelines and DirectX 8-compliant T&L unit. The amount of DDR graphics memory used (with 128bit bus) will be cut down to 64MB, and its working frequency will be reduced down to 550MHz. The core will work at 300MHz.

GeForce4 MX 440: These cards will go with 64MB DDR SDRAM with 128bit access bus. The memory working frequency will be 400MHz and the core frequency ? 275MHz.

GeForce4 MX 420: According to the available data, this GeForce4 MX version will be targeted for the Low-End market that is why the cards built on it will have 64MB SDR SDRAM memory working at 166MHz. The core will work at 250MHz. Besides, It looks as if there were only two rendering pipelines in this modification.

from nvnews.net

Imagine if Jobs demoed a G5 w/GeForce 4..............

ok I woke up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Correction: GF3 was introduced at MWSF '01.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>Correction: GF3 was introduced at MWSF '01.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Correction GF3 was introduced at MW Tokyo 2001.

Geforce 2 products in the PowerMac line were introduced at MWSF 2001.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    The next NVIDA GPU coming out in Apple machines is...nevermind, do not want to lose my job
  • Reply 4 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by Jared:

<strong>The next NVIDA GPU coming out in Apple machines is...nevermind, do not want to lose my job </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll say it for you.... nForce.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    Yay!

Can you say dual channel RAM goodness....

lol! leave it to Apple to pick the highest price single CPU mobo on the market!

hey jared and codename....at the very least, thanks for the entertaining posts!
  • Reply 6 of 35
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Info on nForce?
  • Reply 7 of 35
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>News is surfacing from various sites on the upcoming GeForce 4. It seems as if these cards could be released/shown as early as January/Febuary. Seems a little early to release a GeForce 4, since the GeForce Ti 500 isn't exactly old hash quite yet. If there is truth to this, perhaps nVidia will launch it or demo it on the new systems at MWSF? After all, the GeForce 3 was first released at MacWorld Tokyo last year. I think MWTY again could be possible if the GeForce 4 is coming out that fast.

Here are a few specs:

GeForce4 Ti 1000: This is the fastest graphics cards built on GeForce4 chip working at about 300MHz frequency. The card will have AGP 8x interface and 128MB DDR SDRAM memory working at 700MHz.

GeForce4 Ti 500: This is a bit slower solution with around 275MHz chip frequency and 600MHz memory frequency. Although it will have AGP 4x interface, the card will still come with 128MB graphics memory.

GeForce4 MX 460: This is the eldest representative of the GeForce4 MX family. It will probably have 4 rendering pipelines and DirectX 8-compliant T&L unit. The amount of DDR graphics memory used (with 128bit bus) will be cut down to 64MB, and its working frequency will be reduced down to 550MHz. The core will work at 300MHz.

GeForce4 MX 440: These cards will go with 64MB DDR SDRAM with 128bit access bus. The memory working frequency will be 400MHz and the core frequency ? 275MHz.

GeForce4 MX 420: According to the available data, this GeForce4 MX version will be targeted for the Low-End market that is why the cards built on it will have 64MB SDR SDRAM memory working at 166MHz. The core will work at 250MHz. Besides, It looks as if there were only two rendering pipelines in this modification.

from nvnews.net

Imagine if Jobs demoed a G5 w/GeForce 4..............

ok I woke up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

have we got an idear of the power of those cards especially the numbers of triangles per second ?
  • Reply 8 of 35
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Jared would you be JaredS from the old AI boards?

If Apple standardises on nForce across the Desktop line, then I wonder what will happen to the price line...

powerdoc as far as the GF4's fillrate goes, I think you need not worry about it

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: SYN ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 35
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    [quote]Originally posted by SYN:

<strong>

If Apple standardises on nForce across the Desktop line, then I wonder what will happen to the price line...

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Prices will remain the same, margins will grow up...it's Apple, not Dell
  • Reply 10 of 35
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Are there any 8x AGP mobos out yet?
  • Reply 11 of 35
    InForce makes sense...

rumors of hypertransport?

if the nForce chipset does get into a Mac, lets hope that nVidia has gotten the kinks worked out.

This complicates things a bit:

if nForce goes into the PowerMac, what will be the graphics card? Surely, it cannot be the integrated video...a GeForce 3? A GF3 Ti?

an ATi Radeon 8500?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense for the nForce to go into the new iMac. Now that would be fscking cool. Jobs should move all desktops to DDR....if the G5 comes out in the PowerMac, Jobs wouldn't have to keep SDRAM in the iMac to distinguish the line.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Maybe I'm just high, but I remember reading that it would be possible to deploy nforce mobos with an empty AGP slot along side the integrated graphics. When you fill the AGP slot it disables the integrated graphics. They could then use the nforce integrated graphics in both powermacs and iMacs. Same Mobo for everything! Powermacs just get more RAM slots, PCI slots, and a different PPC card/proc module (G4/3 for iMac, G5 for the powermac)

Just give the Powermacs an AGP slot to go along with the integrated graphics. If both the AGP slot and the integrated graphics could be in use it'd make an easy peasy path for dual monitor set-ups!
  • Reply 13 of 35
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    [quote]Originally posted by SYN:

<strong>Jared would you be JaredS from the old AI boards?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would be me
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Yes. nForce of course has an AGP slot.

The built in graphics (comparable to a GF2 MX) is meant only for value customers like businesses.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    We're forgeting one important detail: the nForce was not made for PowerPC processors!. It supports busses for x86 machines but not for the 60x or MPX bus. Unless it's a totally different part, no way it's going to happen. It's not even that impressive.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    GeForce 4, in MWNY.

Man that really sounds like I know something, but in truth another pathetic guess.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Yeah, I know that the Southbridge on a PC is completely different than the PowerPC mobo implementation, but stranger things have happened.

Mmmmm....dual channel DDR northbridge.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Not even that. The southbridge is just a PCI device or in this case a HT device. The southbridge is the ONLY thing Apple could possibly conceivably make use of. The northbridge is incompatible. It just won't work.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jared:

<strong>

That would be me </strong><hr></blockquote>

nice to see ya back.

if anyone here would know anything it would be you.

come on, G4 or G5. PLEASE
  • Reply 20 of 35
    [quote] Originally posted by MacAddict:

Correction: GF3 was introduced at MWSF '01. <hr></blockquote>

[quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

Correction GF3 was introduced at MW Tokyo 2001.

Geforce 2 products in the PowerMac line were introduced at MWSF 2001.</strong><hr></blockquote>

:eek: SHUT DOWN!!! :eek: MacAddict, check your info before you descide to try and look like your smart again.