Apple unwraps iTunes 5

Comments

• Reply 81 of 162
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    They should have called it 4.9.5. Featurewise it would have been the most correct.
  • Reply 82 of 162
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Mediocrity is never a good reason to change a rational system.

For many, rational thought is never a good reason to change a mediocre system. \
  • Reply 83 of 162
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CRHain88

Do I need tiger, or can I download it?

How the heck would we know if you need it? If you don't know if you need it then you probably don't.

And you can't legally download it. Ever heard of software piracy? There are plenty of places to buy it for under $100USD. Or buy a new Mac and it comes with Tiger installed.
  • Reply 84 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

How the heck would we know if you need it? If you don't know if you need it then you probably don't.

And you can't legally download it. Ever heard of software piracy? There are plenty of places to buy it for under $100USD. Or buy a new Mac and it comes with Tiger installed.

Easy there, bit of a mis understanding I think. As far as I can tell, he was just wondering if you need Tiger to run the new Mail app, or if it can be obtained as a free download (like iTunes). So to answer the question, you do need Tiger to run the new mail app, as it is not available separately. Hope that clears everything up and everyone is happy!
  • Reply 85 of 162
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Then they're idiots.

Sorry, it's not a decimal number. Period. End of story. If someone can't wrap their brain around that, they really should back away from the keyboard and sell the overly complex piece of electronics they bought.

Mediocrity is never a good reason to change a rational system.

Give me a break. A less confusing system is almost always superior to a more confusing one. Anyone who can't wrap their minds around that shouldn't be positing opinions about software design or release practices.

Never using "10" or above for a sub-version number of a major release is a lot less confusing, and therefore superior. Since the decision on what features are "major" and "minor" are mostly arbitrary anyway, your system makes no more sense and requires more thought to deal with. Add a thousand similarly stupid decisions and you get a system like Windows or Linux.
  • Reply 86 of 162
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh forget it. Pandering to ignorance is apparently the wave of the future. Go for it.
  • Reply 87 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Easy there, bit of a mis understanding I think. As far as I can tell, he was just wondering if you need Tiger to run the new Mail app, or if it can be obtained as a free download (like iTunes). So to answer the question, you do need Tiger to run the new mail app, as it is not available separately. Hope that clears everything up and everyone is happy!

Thank you very much, and yes that is what I ment.
  • Reply 88 of 162
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

Since the decision on what features are "major" and "minor" are mostly arbitrary anyway.

So podcast is minor feature and screwed up title bar in the windows version is a major one. Check.
  • Reply 89 of 162
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

So podcast is minor feature and screwed up title bar in the windows version is a major one. Check.

Apple would not confuse their customers with a .10 because it is not intuitive. Of course I understand but lots of people don't and won't - and there's no need to be patronising (Kichaha)

However, iTunes 2 was blue logo, iTunes 3 had the purple music logo, itunes 4 was green and now itunes 5 is green but has a new look. Major revisions have facelifts - garageband 2 looks very different from 1, equally iPhoto 5 from 2. iTunes 4.8 to 4.9 was minor - new podcasts. 5 was also a minor upgrade but gives a new refined look, search bar, smart shuffle etc. so comes under a major revision.

Anyway a decimal point is worth this much aggro surely!
  • Reply 90 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

On Windows, my iTunes title bar doesn't have the name "iTunes" squished up against the very top edge of the window like you show in your screen shot. Perhaps iTunes simply isn't dealing very well with your chosen desktop theme, or personal variations thereof in Display Properties/Appearance? Your window title seems to be in a larger font size than mine.

OMG, at least the cross isn't red tinted.
  • Reply 91 of 162
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

What if Apple had made the podcasting version of iTunes version 5, but kept the same look and not added any of the current updates? What version number would bring it to what it is now?

To me, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. What happened actually makes more sense to me than what I listed above.
  • Reply 92 of 162
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arnel

It looks like the Mail.app look was a preview of things to come after all

Except that its not the same shade of gray!?
  • Reply 93 of 162
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

Except that its not the same shade of gray!?

it should be but i think apple didn't want change itunes completely - it's a bit of a mish-mash to be honest!
  • Reply 94 of 162
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CRHain88

Thank you very much, and yes that is what I ment.

Sorry for misunderstanding you, and thanks to G_Warren for correcting me.
  • Reply 95 of 162
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

They sell iTunes 4.x.x in a box called iLife5.

Kinda applelogic;-)

Finally changing the version number of one of its

iLife members to match all others makes plenty sense.

It is da logic, dude

If the ONLY reason they did that was to normalize the numbering system, fine. But the purpose of jumping a whole number is to designate a major upgrade. This was a tweek.
  • Reply 96 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Apple would not confuse their customers with a .10 because it is not intuitive. Of course I understand but lots of people don't and won't - and there's no need to be patronising (Kichaha)

However, iTunes 2 was blue logo, iTunes 3 had the purple music logo, itunes 4 was green and now itunes 5 is green but has a new look. Major revisions have facelifts - garageband 2 looks very different from 1, equally iPhoto 5 from 2. iTunes 4.8 to 4.9 was minor - new podcasts. 5 was also a minor upgrade but gives a new refined look, search bar, smart shuffle etc. so comes under a major revision.

Anyway a decimal point is worth this much aggro surely!

We're getting it backwards here. 2,3,4, didn't get those designation because Apple changed the colors. They got the colors to indicate the upgrade.

Now it's being said that because they made a tweek and went from metal to grey it's worth a 5. No sense at all to that. This WAS worth a 4.9.1 or so change.

Full video integration into the software with actual video sales would be worth a 5.

But as I say, if it were just to have everything in iLife say "5", then let's forget this whole thing.
  • Reply 97 of 162
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    am not sure if like the Grey interface happening with os x.

its.. well... grey.

may get used to it though.
  • Reply 98 of 162
    On the surface, this was a tweak.

Under the hood, it signified a shift to QuickTime 7. That's not a tweak. If what I'm seeing in the binary is what I think I'm seeing, then this was indeed worthy of a major build increment.
  • Reply 99 of 162
    Quote:

On the surface, this was a tweak.

Under the hood, it signified a shift to QuickTime 7. That's not a tweak. If what I'm seeing in the binary is what I think I'm seeing, then this was indeed worthy of a major build increment.

If QT 7 were only available in iTunes, I would agree. But to simply make it compatable with it, which they HAD to do is something else.

When PS became compatable with JPEG2000, Adobe didn't give the program an update number, they just supplied a new plug-in. There isn't much different here. OS X didn't go to 10.4 because QT 7 came out. Neither should iTunes. Every app that Apple has must be compatable with QT 7. FCP didn't go to 5 because of it. That was a required but minor change. It went to 5 because of major improvements.
  • Reply 100 of 162
    QT 7 had a pretty substantial change to a new API set. Make no mistake, QT 7 is perhaps the most important strategic product Apple has released in five years. AFAICT, iTunes 5 uses the *new* API, not the old one. Hence, a major update. I could be wrong, since I'm just poking into the raw binary by hand, but from what I can see it *looks* like they migrated. Having a little experience with this process... yeah, major build number time.