Installing RAM in new iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was told by a ChumpUSA salesman that users cannot install RAM in a new iMac without voiding the warranty. Is this true?

According to him, installing RAM requires removing so many parts that it's best left to service technicians. He says that you cannot just remove the base panel and gain access to RAM, although you can do so to add an Airport card.

I'm flabbergasted that Apple would design the iMac such that the owner cannot install RAM. Can anyone verify what this salesman told me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    notarnotar Posts: 23member
    nonsense, that's all.

You can add RAM in form of a pC100 SO-DIMM after removing the base panel.

There is a second slot, a standard DIMM slot inside for PC133 DIMM's you cannot access w/o voiding the warranty.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Adding RAM is as easy as adding the Airport card - take off the bottom cover, and both are right there.

I wouldn't put PC100 RAM in there though. I found this - <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88298"; target="_blank">Knowledge Base Document 88298</a>, which says the following (in part):

The iMac (Flat Panel) computer only works with PC133 SDRAM. The maximum installed RAM that can be used is 1 GB. RAM modules of 128 MB, 256 MB, and 512 MB sizes can be used in both slots.

There are two RAM slots in the iMac (Flat Panel). They are:

A user-accessible 144-pin SO-DIMM slot.

An internal (factory-installed) 168-pin DIMM slot

The Apple System Profiler will show the two different types of slots and what amount of RAM is installed there.

The user-accessible slot requires PC133 speed RAM. PC100 RAM is not to be used with the iMac (Flat Panel) computer and may create performance and reliability issues.

I don't think mixing PC100 and PC133 RAM in the same machine is a good idea - that's probably why they want you using PC133.

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    adding up to 512 of so-dimm is easy to do and does not void any warrentee.....adding internal ram is harder and probably should be done by apple service provider....thermal paste and pads need to be replaced everytime the insides are opened up beyond the so-dimm and airport space....g

and iMac takes PC-133 so-dimm...not pc-100

here i have a photo of adding ram...went from 256 to 768 very easily...g

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/gavinmcc/PhotoAlbum1.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/gavinmcc/PhotoAlbum1.html</a>;

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    What's weird is that Rambus has a special 2002 iMac RAM page where they sell only PC-100 SO-DIMMs (for way above what they're worth). Wonder if anyone's told them they ****ed up.

Crucial has 512meg sticks of PC133 SO-DIMM for $215, which is a pretty good deal.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    notarnotar Posts: 23member
    thanks to murbot for the information. I thought it was 100Mhz for the SO-DIMM slot.

can't wait for mine, but I ordered with a combo drive, so i'll have to wait a few more weeks.