So do non-flash ipods skip a lot then?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If it's so great that this one's got "skip-free storage", then I guess it must be a significant problem on the HD ones. But since I've never used one, I ask you guys...

--B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    iPod's with HDs do skip, although there is a 15 minute or so buffer. It really isn't a problem unless you are running or doing something active, which I think is part of the attraction of the nano.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    In the 2 1/2 years I've had mine it's never skipped once. YMMY of course
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The skipping only really occurs when the drive is being jostled for longer than the buffer. When the drive senses movement above a small amount, it parks the heads to save itself from damage. If the buffer runs out, and the movement is still occurring... skip.

Flash-based drives never have that problem, so they're great if you're jogging, skiing, etc. If you're just in the car, or walking around normally, then the iPod won't skip on you.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i've jogged with my 3rd generation hard-drive based ipod for probably an hour or so at a time with no problems whatsoever. i think the 'no-skipping' thing is a ploy, since i have never seen a HD-based player skip
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I don't think so, I have a 4th Gen. iPod that will always skip when I go running for 20 min. or so.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    My iPod hasn't ever skipped that I can recall, but I've had some long waits between songs before.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    I have a first-generation 10GB that I've used almost daily since early 2002. I use it during workouts, while walking, while driving, whatever. Never skipped. Never noticed much of a decrease in battery life.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Keep in mind that the Nano does have a microdrive in it. It has a spinning disk that could skip if jolted enough.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    sasasasa Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

Keep in mind that the Nano does have a microdrive in it. It has a spinning disk that could skip if jolted enough.

It does? I thought 'flash' and 'drive' (even micro drive) were two different forms of storage. You're saying the nano's storage is different from the shuffle?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Apple's tech specks both say they have "flash drives" and both are skip free. The shuffle has a chip to store the songs and the Nano has a microdrive.

Shuffle

http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000700034044/

Nano

http://suyama.co.jp/
  • Reply 11 of 16
    The nano is flash-chip based, just like the Shuffle. No moving parts.

One chip = a chip.

Many chips = a 'drive'.

They're both flash memory based, no hard drive in sight.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Yes I got it wrong. I was looking at the take apart posted in the other forum which had a picture of a nano AND a mini take apart side by side. The microdrive was from the mini. I need to learn Japanese. Sorry for the bad information.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

Yes I got it wrong. I was looking at the take apart posted in the other forum which had a picture of a nano AND a mini take apart side by side. The microdrive was from the mini. I need to learn Japanese. Sorry for the bad information.

S'okay, you had me going for a while too, until I saw 'Mini' in the middle of the Japanese, and realized what was going on.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    My 3G has never skipped, not even when jogging - and I work out with it all the time.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    While I haven't skipped my 4G, that doesn't mean the fact that it is mechanical based storage hasn't hurt its reliability. I have accidentally dropped it a few times and it did eventually need to be replaced because of a failing drive.

BTW: here is a disected iPod nano:

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
  • Reply 16 of 16
    i have 3rd gen iPod 20gig (the "click-wheel one w/o color screen? right?) and it skips after WALKING for 15-20 minutes. the iPod then quickly loses battery life trying to stop the skip, it kinda gets confused) and the battery starts to overheat (very hot to the touch, too hot to put to the face, but ok in the hands) i just self reset and keep going, it any of this bad? or just normal?