Apple unveils iPod nano

Comments

• Reply 81 of 105
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

Does the black nano come with black head phones.

i doubt it - anyway black headphones wouldn't look as good!
  • Reply 82 of 105
    It's a shame they dropped the mini

they were a lot more hardwearing than normal iPods thanks to the aluminium case, making them ideal for kids.

The nano's look good but will need a case to prevent scratches.
  • Reply 83 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Both Lips

they were a lot more hardwearing than normal iPods thanks to the aluminium case, making them ideal for kids.

I'd have loved them to keep the minis and make them 6Gb and 8GB with a colour screen - but then I didn't agree with the mini originally. It does seem slightly backwards reducing the capacity though!
  • Reply 84 of 105

yup. i'm a proud owner of a silver mini and i've raved constantly about how scratch resistant (even the screen) is.

i suppose the black-and-white screen is kind of retro cool now
  • Reply 85 of 105
    I am no longer tracking insider websites. So, did any website predict nano?

Probably, not...
  • Reply 86 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

yup. i'm a proud owner of a silver mini and i've raved constantly about how scratch resistant (even the screen) is.

if it's "all about the music" surely a colour screen isn't necessary! This would reduce the price and allow for the mini to still exist.
  • Reply 87 of 105
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

There is a mis-quote there. The speculation was that the new drive would come in between 8-10GB's.

It came out at 8. There aren't two drives unless something that I don't know about has happened. If you can find a 10GB on their site please let us know.

They did have both 8GB and 10GB prototypes on hand at CES back in January and said they would have a 10GB version out sometime after the 8gb version was released. Toshiba, Seagate, Sony and others are working on 10GB versions as well. It's a safe bet. Hitachi is even working on a 20GB version. Bottom line, the iPod mini should not have been killed off as flash memory still commands too much of a price premium even for smaller capacities. The iPod mini would have made an ideal mid-range model once the 5G iPods are introduced.
  • Reply 88 of 105
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bazad

So, did any website predict nano?

Probably, not...

Actually, yes. At least one even got the name right.
  • Reply 89 of 105
    Apple iPod Updater 2005-09-06:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...r20050906.html

Quote:

Includes new iPod Software 1.0 for iPod nano. iPod Updater 2005-09-06 contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2005-06-26 for all other iPod models.

Uh, doesn't the nano come pre-loaded with 1.0 in the box? This "updater" doesn't make sense to me.
  • Reply 90 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Uh, doesn't the nano come pre-loaded with 1.0 in the box? This "updater" doesn't make sense to me.

yeah a CD would contain the update! Maybe they just want to make the download available for people who loose the CD?
  • Reply 91 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

No update for the rest of us then... Specifically the smart playlists not updating live bug from the last update...
  • Reply 92 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

No update for the rest of us then... Specifically the smart playlists not updating live bug from the last update...

They will hopefully fix this when they release 5G
  • Reply 93 of 105
    Shame on AppleInsider, MacRumors, and ThinkSecret for not picking this up. All we thought was that they were going to stick a bunch of memory chips into the Mini... the Nano really is a very nice new revolution in digital music players. 1000 songs in your watch pocket.
  • Reply 94 of 105
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

i doubt it - anyway black headphones wouldn't look as good!

It offends me sense of balance. The carpet has to match the drapes

Has anyone had a hands on with the Nano? (I keep wanting to call it a micro) Wall Street Journal had a review (posted on ./) . The writer loves it. If you've touched it let me know how it is.
  • Reply 95 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I just came back from my Mac User Group meeting which is held in the NYC SoHo Apple store.

http://www.metromac.org

During the meeting out Apple rep showed us the new products. He passed the new black and white Nano's around.

They look and feel better than I had expected from the pictures. Despite the fact that they only weigh 1.5 oz. they feel surprisingly heavy, due to the fact that they LOOK lighter than they are. My daughter (just turned 14) had expressed doubts as to its durability, but when she held it, she changed her mind. He plugged it into the sound system on the stage, and it sounded pretty good. The screen, though noticeably smaller was bright, colorful, and sharp, making it very easy to read. The higher rez really does help.

I think it's a winner, even though I wish that the 6GB Mini was kept in the line-up. They tell me it's been selling like hot-cakes, and I'll miss that jewel-like look.
  • Reply 96 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

It offends me sense of balance. The carpet has to match the drapes

Last time I checked there are still lots of black headphones available to buy here and there.
  • Reply 97 of 105
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

You do know that you can buy clear plastic LCD screen protectors, right? I bought a pack and covered all of my screens on all of my electronic devices.
  • Reply 98 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

You do know that you can buy clear plastic LCD screen protectors, right? I bought a pack and covered all of my screens on all of my electronic devices.

that was/is the best part of the iPod mini - you don't need to use these other hindrances that distract from its beauty. no need any cases, no need any screen protectors, etc. sweet.

for the record, i AM very impressed with the black iPod nano. jeez, the iTunesMoto phone is disgusting compared to everything else that's 100% apple. what a fucking deadweight moto is deisgn wise, but they're a necessarily evil for apple to access cell phone companies and mobile carriers.
  • Reply 99 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

They did have both 8GB and 10GB prototypes on hand at CES back in January and said they would have a 10GB version out sometime after the 8gb version was released. Toshiba, Seagate, Sony and others are working on 10GB versions as well. It's a safe bet. Hitachi is even working on a 20GB version. Bottom line, the iPod mini should not have been killed off as flash memory still commands too much of a price premium even for smaller capacities. The iPod mini would have made an ideal mid-range model once the 5G iPods are introduced.

It's all about marketing. I'm sure they're keeping a healthy margin. Why offer the mini as an alternative? There are now three clear, separate, choices. If the Nano and Mini were both offered, they target the same consumer. It's easier for Apple to produce only three products.
  • Reply 100 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

But they don't have one. I can't think of why they would want one either. 12Gb seems like a next step.

Going from 6 to 8 is 33%. Going from 8 to 10 is 25%. Going from 8 to 12 50%. That's more in line with what they were doing in the past. 340 to 512=51%. 512 to 640=25%. 640 to 1GB=56%. 1 to 2=100%. 2 to 4=100%. 4 to 6=50%. They only came out with the 8 because they couldn't make the 10 at the time. The 640 was supposed to be the 1GB but it didn't work out either at the time.