First look at Apple's new iPod nano (images)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    It does? I think of "memory" as being silicone based with no moving parts. Whereas the drive is magnetic disk storage with moving parts. I guess people's jargon can vary.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

It does? I think of "memory" as being silicone based with no moving parts. Whereas the drive is magnetic disk storage with moving parts. I guess people's jargon can vary.

Silicone is used to seal windows and for breast implants. Silicon is used for electronic chips.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

well, the shuffle and the nano have no moving drive parts.

there are compact flash 'drives' that spin, but they aren't flash they just fit in compact flash slots, but most of the compact flash you buy doesn't move - if i understand correctly. i don't think the ipod uses compact flash or smart disk necessarily but some other form of flash memory. i think apple just says drive cause its common to speak of storage as a drive and ram as memory and they dont want to confuse anyone.

am i right?
  • Reply 24 of 49
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    A drive is essentially any single collective storage device that can be used to write/read data. Whether optical, hard disk, or flash based, they're all drives.

Memory is generally understood to be a device made from silicon. Whether it's Random Access Memory (RAM) or flash-based, it uses a means of storage that requires no moving parts to read/write data.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    ho - looks like fng was right

here

and here
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkDifferent

On a retail note, my local Apple Store in Salen NH is saying that they have a large supply of iPod nanos. The only version they don't have is the 2GB black model. This REALLY suprised me because The Rockingham Park store is relatively old and small compared to the larger newer ones, and to get a large supply of all models the second day of introduction and to still have some in stock at the days end was shocking!! Will head down this weekend to try it out and possibly BUY!

That is surprising. The Rockingham Park store is also my local store and I didn't expect that it would have them in stock for a bit so I ordered one online. Oh well, I'll still get it soon.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    It's the whole "device that's compatible with CF Type II specification" whether it's silicone or magnetic disk or nanosized monkeys on typewriters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_flash
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by mania

here

and here

that's an ipod nano AND an ipod mini side by side for comparison. the microdrive is from the ipod mini, not the ipod nano.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by ruud

that's an ipod nano AND an ipod mini side by side for comparison. the microdrive is from the ipod mini, not the ipod nano.

Really? No This thread has the Nano take apart which shows the microdrive in the Nano.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=57421
  • Reply 30 of 49
    f***ing s*** you're right. I got it wrong. That's a mini take apart with the microdrive. Which I would know if I had just read the caption. f*** I got sucked in by that other thread and thought it was all nano.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:

here

and here

I think that the one on the right's a mini. In any case - Good Grief! Someone's already cracked a nano open?!
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

OK, some of the photos are blurry.

sOME?

I was a little harsh in my opening reply, and it was deleted - so instead, here are a few pointers.

1)If you are going to take pictures that close, use the Macro setting.

2)Shooting in low light like that requires a tri-pod. They aren't just for Pros. You can get a mini desktop one for about 20 bucks.

3)Digital point and shoots have really shallow depths of field, so forget trying to shoot a close up with any great amount of depth.

4) I'll give credit where credit is due - your white balance isn't too shaby in the least!
  • Reply 33 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    The term is simply "solid state drive". It's been used for at least 15 years.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

Small correction for this article. This is not a flash memory iPod. It has Microdrive in the form of a compact flash card.

No.

Take a look at the disassembly photos. They show quite clearly a large Samsung flash chip soldered onto a PCB.

No Compact Flash, no Microdrive.

What is interesting is the Portal Player 5021 chip.

This isn't listed on Portal Player's website. 5020, yes. 5022, yes. 5024, yes. No 5021. Is this a custom chip for Apple?
  • Reply 35 of 49
    You can also see a complete nanotopsy here...
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hattig

No.

Take a look at the disassembly photos. They show quite clearly a large Samsung flash chip soldered onto a PCB.

No Compact Flash, no Microdrive.

What is interesting is the Portal Player 5021 chip.

This isn't listed on Portal Player's website. 5020, yes. 5022, yes. 5024, yes. No 5021. Is this a custom chip for Apple?

guess I was right - horay. not that it matters but i feel like i know something.8)
  • Reply 37 of 49
    So... Is anybody from AI going to step up and quietly replace or remove the bad ones or or at least defend themselves??? Just asking.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    I wish Apple had kept the mini's Aluminum enclosure somehow. Or at least made the back on the nano aluminum instead of the shiny chrome.

Why?

BECAUSE I HATE F'N SCRATCHES!

And I have a normal iPod that's scratched to shite which stays at home while my relatively scratch-proof mini accompanies me outside into the harsh evil world of protrusions and rough/sharp/hard objects.

Blech. Now I've gotta get a damn nano and some 'nano Tubes'...

damn it to blazes
  • Reply 39 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

here

and here

Nope. There's no way to fit a Microdrive in that case and still have a full-length circuit board like that. The Microdrive form factor is 75% of the thickness of the nano as it is, then there's the shell to consider, even with SMT components, it's not going to work. Also, the Microdrive is wider than the nano is, so it would have to be connected sideways to fit, and that doesn't leave much room for a header connector.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

BECAUSE I HATE F'N SCRATCHES!

Me too.

You can see how scratched up my shuffle is (like my iBook too).

That's why I got a white 4Gig nano because I'm sure the black, as cool as it is, will show scratches much more than the white.

Love the new iPod though - just scared of scratching it!

Using an iPod sock to protect it until the nano tubes come out or I can find a better solution.