Mini's with colour screen = iPod Photo?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi, i know it's all speculation at the mo but if new flash-based mini's do come out and they do have colour screens, does this mean they will be able to display photos like the proper iPod Photo?

I want to believe... \

-indy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Indecisive PC user

Hi, i know it's all speculation at the mo but if new flash-based mini's do come out and they do have colour screens, does this mean they will be able to display photos like the proper iPod Photo?

I want to believe... \

-indy

If they have colour screens, I don't see why they wouldn't show photos, so IMHo if they are colour, the will support photos in the same way as larger iPods.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I suspect they WON'T. They might be able to display album art but I think Apple will limit them to that. That'll be another "upsell" to promote the regular iPods.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I would think that all color iPods will have the same features, with the exception of Video. If this feature is added I could see it limited in some way to iPods with beefier processors. However, if the color iPod minis get a processor upgrade as well, anything is possible.

I think dropping the Photo moniker for the color iPods was a brilliant move and makes me think that it is possible that video features could just be a firmware update away. Then again its easier for Apple to rake in the money if you need to buy a new iPod.

Perhaps the mini line will split. Higher capacity HD-based color models and thinner, black & white models with flash memory.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    By now, I am sure that everyone knows that the iPod nano will handle photos. I cannot see how it can handle up to 25000 photos, though. I guess you could if they were very small JPGs or something.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

I cannot see how it can handle up to 25000 photos, though. I guess you could if they were very small JPGs or something.

The 25,000 number comes from the maximum number of photos that iPhoto can hold in its library.

iTunes actually converts photos to a very small, specific file format that allows more photos to fit on an iPod. Details are sketchy.

You're right, though. 25,000 full sized 3 megapixel photos would not fit on 4GB. It's the conversion process they go through to sync to an iPod that makes this possible.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

iTunes actually converts photos to a very small, specific file format that allows more photos to fit on an iPod. Details are sketchy.

I would assume that you mean iPhoto does the conversion, but nonetheless, I did not know this. I figured it just copied them over. I sure do need a new, larger iPod model.

Now that I have ordered a new camera (Canon Digital Rebel XT), I need something to carry all of those pictures around on to show people.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

I would assume that you mean iPhoto does the conversion,...

No, iTunes converts the files. Windows users don't have access to iPhoto, so iTunes is the app that does the conversion.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

No, iTunes converts the files. Windows users don't have access to iPhoto, so iTunes is the app that does the conversion.

Hmm... I did not realize this or think about it that way. I forgot that Windows users (like me at work) do not have access to iPhoto. I always assumed that iPhoto was what I would use to sync photos on the Mac if I got an iPod with photo capability.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i ahvent seen this anywhere, but will the memory stick adapter thingy work with teh Nano?