iTunes 5, RAM hog?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hey there,

curerntly my computer is very RAM-sensitive, but it can run itunes 4.9 just fine. It's quick to start up and rarely jumps/skips.

what i want to know is how much RAM does iTunes 5 use when it's just playing songs? And also with the visualiser?

my friend tested in his computer and it seemed to use 110MB just for playing songs (which is about 5 times iTunes4.9).

also, is it quick to load?

BTW, im running a 1.25GHz eMac on 256mb here (upgrading the RAM is a chore i've yet to perform)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

hey there,

curerntly my computer is very RAM-sensitive, but it can run itunes 4.9 just fine. It's quick to start up and rarely jumps/skips.

what i want to know is how much RAM does iTunes 5 use when it's just playing songs? And also with the visualiser?

my friend tested in his computer and it seemed to use 110MB just for playing songs (which is about 5 times iTunes4.9).

also, is it quick to load?

BTW, im running a 1.25GHz eMac on 256mb here (upgrading the RAM is a chore i've yet to perform)

same computer, also having lag and skip problems with the new itunes, cept i got 1gig of RAM. i hate it, i feel like i'm on a dell. btw, i found that using the original apple mouse helps stop some of the lagging. i was using the MM before, what about you?

--------

i just checked activity moniter abd itunes uses 5% cpu and 40 mb or RAM when idle. RAM goes up to about 50 MB and cpu goes up to 10% when playing a song. Then, when i try to navigate in the menus, cpu goes up to 80%(from itunes only) and around 75 RAM. That is not good, even for this eMac
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ok, i was reading the FAQs in the genius bar "Read here first" folder, and i found that restarting my computer and holding control - option - p - r until the "start-up sound" pings 4 times. whatever it was supposed to do (i can't remember right now) it worked, cept it messed with my system preferences. reduced the cpu and RAM by a lot, but it is still higher than 4.9
  • Reply 3 of 6
    if it's any consolation I have a 1GHz eMac, 640RAM and I have no problems? Using the original mouse btw..
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I seem to be fine on a PowerBook G4 1.33GHz, with 512MB RAM.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Not sure what's going on with your installations but my memory ranges from 32 - 37MB and CPU time from 5% - 12%. Nothing substantial really.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Not sure what's going on with your installations but my memory ranges from 32 - 37MB and CPU time from 5% - 12%. Nothing substantial really.

SAME here, I just wish they would have fixed the QT7 windows bugs before release because I want to update my windows units to itunes 5 but QT6.5 is hella lot more stable than 7.2 final on windows.