Create Mini-Dock

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm hoping someone here either works for Apple Stores or has experience with this.

I went into my local Apple Store and fell in love with the mini-dock they have on the demo machines.

4 to 5 icons sit in the middle of the screen, allowing you to run their applications at will. The full Dock is still at the bottom. Can anyone tell me how to create this?

I would like to put my contact manager, Word, Excel and my scanning program on it!

Thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    That's an internal app that was written specifically for Apple Stores.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

That's an internal app that was written specifically for Apple Stores.

Gene,

Is it something that you or anyone reading can create, or to avoid problems, something similar?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Virtual Warrior

Gene,

Is it something that you or anyone reading can create, or to avoid problems, something similar?

Im no programmer, so I can't. Sorry. I'm sure someone with programming skills could easily re-create that or something similar to it, but I'm not sure if they would be able to avoid problems...

Of course, they could always send you a private copy and never distribute it as to avoid problems, but I know of no one that could do that. But you can always ask some programmer you might know - I'm pretty sure it's a piece of cake for them.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    There is a widget available for Konfabulator that can do something similar. Search the widget catalog for "dock."
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I'll mention this just in cases you're not aware of the feature. If you press Command-Tab, a similar bevel to the one in the Apple Stores appears in front of your current application, and you can select a different application with either your mouse or by pressing the Tab key while continuing to hold down Control. Of course, this is only for switching between open apps and doesn't help if you want to launch an application.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

There is a widget available for Konfabulator that can do something similar. Search the widget catalog for "dock."

There is something like this called DashDock for Dashboard.

If you don;t mind me asking, why note just create aliases and put them in the center?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

There is something like this called DashDock for Dashboard.

If you don;t mind me asking, why note just create aliases and put them in the center?

Jwink,

Thank you for both your answer and presenting the question. To be honest, Im not sure how to do it using alias. Can you help?

You seem to be "Source" for info.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Virtual Warrior

Jwink,

Thank you for both your answer and presenting the question. To be honest, Im not sure how to do it using alias. Can you help?

You seem to be "Source" for info.

Go to the finder and fine the apps you want. then select the app and right-click (or ctrl-click) and choose 'Make alias." Now drag that alias to the desktop. There you go. If you want to rename it once it is on the desktop so it doesn't say alais just select it and hit enter. Now you can rename it.