so i put one of those huge azz heatsinks on my cpu

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

doesn't look that big here, but check it out when on the mobo (sorry, crappy pics from mobile phone, i got no digital camera)

as you can see while the footprint is just about the size of a cpu die, it spans at least 1/4 of a motherboard.

this is the fan from the stock amd heatsink, i ripped it off and am using it to blow directly on the asus southbridge heatsink (i removed the asus southbridge heatsink fan, it was noisy and small.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I think you will enjoy the heat sink and fan combo. My father installed one into his machine last year and the difference it makes in the level of noise is astounding. Except for when the 10,000 rpm hard drive is spinning, I can hardly tell the machine is on anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    From the looks of that (out of focus ) pic, your using an El cheap midi tower?

Which is probably made of steel, which is ain't good as it retains the heat and fry's everything. get a nice aluminum case, Cooler-master do a nice range.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to clarify aluminum is pronounced AL-U-MIN-YUM and not ALUME-IN-UM

• Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Which is probably made of steel, which is ain't good as it retains the heat and fry's everything. get a nice aluminum case, Cooler-master do a nice range.

Cooler-master dose make nice aluminum cases, although I prefer Lian Li - I've owned 5 Lian Li case and all have worked perfectly.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by semi-fly

Cooler-master dose make nice aluminum cases, although I prefer Lian Li - I've owned 5 Lian Li case and all have worked perfectly.

Hey, they are nice, i'm especially liking this one
  • Reply 5 of 29
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Somehow, I thought the standard UK English spelling was aluminium, which explains the pronunciation differences.

Has anyone had any solid confirmation that aluminum makes a worthwhile difference in computer cooling? Such as trying the exact same case design in both steel and aluminum? Unless the heat sink is coupled to the case, good air flow is a much more significant factor, particularly as it is metal to air to metal heat flow.

And why is this thread in a Mac forum anyway?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

And why is this thread in a Mac forum anyway?

And who are you to decide what thread goes where?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

And who are you to decide what thread goes where?

Uh, woah, I'm not even suggesting I'm one to decide this, I just think it's odd. I don't visit here often, but I've never noticed a thread talking solely about PC hardware in this subforum, it seems so out of place. About as out of place as someone posting a new thread about their new Zen in the iPod forum.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    heh. i think there are a lot of appleinsiders that go both ways, or many ways... people here that have macs but also pcs running windows and linux and stuff.

i suppose this could go to general Discussion rather than current hardware...

• Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

I think you will enjoy the heat sink and fan combo. My father installed one into his machine last year and the difference it makes in the level of noise is astounding. Except for when the 10,000 rpm hard drive is spinning, I can hardly tell the machine is on anymore.

i must say i'm liking the zalman copper flower. and i'm glad i ripped out (well, gently dismantled) the southbridge fan and am just blowing the amd stock fan onto it... with these mods, more acoustically hmm... satisfying...

hey my maxtor diamondmax plus 9 sata 7200rpm 80gb drive is silent as. really, i don't hear it at all...

i am far from any sort of silent pc though, but now i guess the acoustically satisfying part that it sounds more "breezy" rather than "grindy" or "rattle-y"
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

heh. i think there are a lot of appleinsiders that go both ways, or many ways... people here that have macs but also pcs running windows and linux and stuff.

Well, I generally frequent forums of unrelated interests that are bigger sticklers about being on-topic, so forgive my previous comments.

You do raise a good point. Normally I'd think I'd go to a different PC forum to discuss PC stuff, but then, for a computer-heavy forum, this seems to be among the best that I've been to.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

heh. i'm with the Brit on the aluminium thing. having grown up in the colonies of the Empire (malaysia, singapore, australia), i learnt the Queen's english, yo.

umm... yeah... that case is just the steel frame left from ripping out the plastic and power supply and other bits and pieces from an old circa1997-1998 Midi(? ..uh yeah i think its midi) tower that used to house a pentium2-233mhz

every pc case so far i've looked at makes me want to throw up. i'll check out this lian yi deal. oh i thought the "shuttle" pcs are cool but too small.

i am definitely spoilt from my G4 and G5 powermacs i used to own, and still use at work/etc nowadays... why has no pc case manufacturer come to anything close to the now 5-year-old-but-still-kickass powermac g4 design ?????

oh and it is IUPAC spelling with the i in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium

apparently this wiki is "protected until disputes can be resolved" probably regarding the spelling and pronounciation of aluminium...!!!

• Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

i am far from any sort of silent pc though, but now i guess the acoustically satisfying part that it sounds more "breezy" rather than "grindy" or "rattle-y"

The pitch has a lot to do with perception of how annoying a sound is. All my PCs have a low-pitched muffled turbulence sound (a lot like low speed wind turbulence), which I greatly prefer to anything that whines. It helps that the smallest fan them is mid-speed 9cm rather than one of the cheap tiny whiners, a design choice I agree with.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

The pitch has a lot to do with how annoying a sound is. All my PCs have a low-pitched muffled turbulence sound, which I greatly prefer to anything that whines. It helps that the smallest fan them is mid-speed 9cm rather than one of the cheap tiny whiners, a design choice I agree with.

cool. so it wasn't just me... well that's the fun part of hacking around with a pc box, i suppose you might say it is relevant in exploring apple's design considerations and challenges. eg. the "whiney" iMac g5 17"

totally. bigger, slower, breezier = more pleasing, well ventilated, "spaceship/ airconditioner hum" sort of feel, rather than (edit) "blender/vacuum cleaner" ... i'm a bit dissapointed that asus used one of those for the southbridge fan, but then again i bought the a8n sli normal, while the a8n sli deluxe is a heatpipe (pure-fanless) motherboard.

yeah looks like 90mm and above and say 4000rpm (less? 2000rpm and below??)and below is the starting point for pleasant air cooling stuff...
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Well, I generally frequent forums of unrelated interests that are bigger sticklers about being on-topic, so forgive my previous comments.

You do raise a good point. Normally I'd think I'd go to a different PC forum to discuss PC stuff, but then, for a computer-heavy forum, this seems to be among the best that I've been to.

heh. no worries. i think i'm scared by all those other pc fanboy sites. i feel "safe" sharing here also having a high post count affords me *some* degree of immunity from ridicule here though not always.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    ah... good to see some good drugs are still making their way into China, specifically the Lian Li product design floor...

http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/M_M_PC-777.htm

• Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

oh and it is IUPAC spelling with the i in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium

apparently this wiki is "protected until disputes can be resolved" probably regarding the spelling and pronounciation of aluminium...!!!

You can thank safari's spell check for the removal of the I

What i tend to say whenever i get into a heated slanging match over this is "England invented english, So we know how our words are pronounced, That's why it's called English!!!"

The above comments are meant solely as jest (Joke). These comments should not be taken seriously and i shall not be liable for any flame, Terrorist or economic wars, That some people may feel inclined to start

This thread should not be read if your pregnant, manically depressed or take ibuprofen
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I didn't know there was a 'terrorist war'. I've heard of terrorism, but...
  • Reply 18 of 29
    This is a nice case i currently own that i have lying around in the spare junk room

In it is a 3 gig prescot, 1 gig ram, 300 gb HD and a 6600 GT O/C
  • Reply 19 of 29
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

heh. i think there are a lot of appleinsiders that go both ways, or many ways......

Hmm...

Quote:

...people here that have macs but also pcs running windows and linux and stuff.

Yes GD is the right place.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

This is a nice case i currently own that i have lying around in the spare junk room

In it is a 3 gig prescot, 1 gig ram, 300 gb HD and a 6600 GT O/C

*shakes fist* ya bastard...!! yes yes yes, other than genuine alienware that is the only other pc case that i can live with. i've seen red ones around (similar to if not actual asus vento). frackin BAD ASS.