David Coursey: Why I just love the new iMac (and why you might, too)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Haven't seen this posted yet but it sounds like Coursey's month with a Mac is going pretty well so far.

<a href="http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2844895,00.html"; target="_blank">ZDNet - Why I just love the new iMac (and why you might, too)</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    he says that there are only 2 things he still uses his pc for. and one of them in instant messaging. what's up with that? what could he possibly be using to instant message with that isn't available on a mac?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    I noticed that too. Why doesn't he use Fire or something like that? That app covers almost all IM apps.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong>I noticed that too. Why doesn't he use Fire or something like that? That app covers almost all IM apps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because in my opinion, he's an idiot.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Coursey comes off sounding rediculously uninformed a lot. He has not even tried iMovie yet, whats up with that?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Coursey comes off sounding rediculously uninformed a lot. He has not even tried iMovie yet, whats up with that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

perhaps he doesn't have a DV camera or a desire to even do video editing. most peope don't own DV cameras and a lot of people just don't have an interest in it.

shame, it really is an amazing app.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    As a reviewer I am sure he could get his hands on a DV camcorder? It is kind of rediculous because iMovie is a killer app.
  • Reply 7 of 17

<strong>As a reviewer I am sure he could get his hands on a DV camcorder? It is kind of rediculous because iMovie is a killer app.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure he is trying to make this a typical review. I think he is trying to review how the iMac and overall the mac platform with fit as a replacement to his pc in everyday life. if iMovie and DV has no place with him and he never does it he should not be reviewing that aspect of it.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    He said that he wants to reccomend the Mac to more people but he needs to see for himself if it should be a consideration. If this is his intended goal then he must review iMovie as well as all of the iApps.
  • Reply 9 of 17

<strong>He said that he wants to reccomend the Mac to more people but he needs to see for himself if it should be a consideration. If this is his intended goal then he must review iMovie as well as all of the iApps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

not if he doesn't use it. only like 40% of imac buyers use iMovie. It's not as big of deal as it is to me and you and if he doesn't need it he shouldn't review it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    He said he was interested in FCP 3 and it "almost made him change careers." I think it is funny that such a strong tech journalist voice doesnt take a few hours to review a simple app that has widespread appeal.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>perhaps he doesn't have a DV camera or a desire to even do video editing. most peope don't own DV cameras and a lot of people just don't have an interest in it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No kidding. I'm amazed Apple seems to put so much emphasis on the Superdrive when I just don't think there are that many people who will use it.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I have to say that considering his PC-centric life that he has given as glowing an account of week one as anyone would expect. And given the fact that he is just beginning to see the applications that are available and the tens of thousands of suggestions by helpful if fanatic Mac-users, each week I would expect a sort of groundswell will emerge.

Screen resolution, size are real issues. The thing that I hope he emphasizes is that the iMac is the CONSUMER Mac and not a PRO model.

What Apple needs is for Windows people like him to enjoy the dock, even if some longtime Macheads don't!!!

So what famous person Apple-centric person could we get to leave Mac and spend a month just doing Windows....
  • Reply 13 of 17

<strong>Coursey comes off sounding rediculously uninformed a lot. He has not even tried iMovie yet, whats up with that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

David Coursey specifically states:

[quote]I have not played with iMovie, but finally have an idea for a home movie project (lacking kids, I have no ready players), so I am planning to compare the Mac and XP cinematic experiences this weekend.<hr></blockquote>

Sometimes it helps to read the entire article.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by iDave:

<strong>

No kidding. I'm amazed Apple seems to put so much emphasis on the Superdrive when I just don't think there are that many people who will use it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it's good planning. The DVD market has grown consistently since its beginnings; soon DVD players will be as ubiquitous as VCRs. When that day comes, Apple wants "Macintosh" and "DVD" to be synonymous in people's minds, the way it is with publishing and the way it's becoming with video editing. They already missed the boat on CD-Rs -- no way they're letting another burgeoning consumer market pass them by. In fact, they're going to occupy the forefront of it; I've read nothing to suggest Apple will lose its edge in desktop video anytime soon.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    I believe providing a high end iMac with a Superdrive is an excellent strategy.

<a href="http://nytimes.com/2002/02/07/technology/circuits/07STAT.html"; target="_blank">This NYTimes Article</a> talks about the increase in popularity and low prices on DVD players over the last year.

I read an interview with Steve Jobs where he said something to the effect of, (paraphrasing) "People always tend to express themselves in the media of their time." And it's true. In the past the medium has been the written word. People would buy novels and newspapers and then tend to write. Ove the past few decades movies and television have become the 'media of our time' and it only makes sense to give people the tools to express themselves in that medium. It's good to have the lower end models for people that don't want to make DVDs, but I think more and more people will get into it - never everyone, but a lot of people.

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: seb ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 17
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I think it will only grow in popularity - probably sooner than you think.

After "missing the boat" with regards to CD-RW drives, I'm sure they don't want that to happen again.

Hey, the drives are great even just for backups.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    In a few years you won't be able to get a VHS camera and you'll need to use DV. If you have kids or even if you don't editing movies or special events is a great boon. Making your movies personal is a great thing. I was able to edit an iMovie for my cousin's wedding and I got it done faster, and made it more personal, than her professionaly made wedding video. As far as the superdrive, they should allow it to be replaced on all the PowerMacs and maybe even the iMac 800. However, for those that do shot DV video making a DVD of it is much better than saving it as a VHS.

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: imacSE ]</p>