New iMac G5, or wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
we are about to get a new iMac G5.

Is it smart to buy it, or better to wait til next year when the intel based machines will be out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    If you need it now, get one. If you can wait a year or so, then wait.

I just got a 20" iMac instead of a laptop and I love it. I was wanting a laptop for portability, but wanted to keep all of my "stuff" together - the 100G drive limit was going to cause problems. I only occasionally need portability - and I don't need to check my email at the local coffee shop, so I opted for the 25 lb iMac with an iLugger II case.

This combination gives me the power/screen size I want with the ability to take it all with me. And I saved some $$$ also - if you figure that with a laptop, one would have (or want anyway) to get extra batteries, etc.

This machine replaced my dual G4 system - it's not been on in a few weeks. The one great thing I like about it is that it's MUCH quieter than the dual G4 1Ghz. I know I have been more productive just due to the extra peace and quiet !!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Personally, I plan to wait a year and at that time buy a used Power PC chipped computer. I don't need the latest and greatest in computers so I hope to sit back and observe for the first year or so of the tansition period. But if I needed one now, I'd get it. Often the best of old technology is better than the first of new technology. Certainly a new computer now should carry you for at least two years.

If, however, the new Intel based computers turn out to be so superior, you buy then and sell your year-old iMac to me!

I hope you don't mind if I slightly hijack this thread and ask a related question. Not when, but what should I buy? My choices are between one of the last dual-chip Powermac G4s, or a G5 iMac. I am not a power user but my 733 Powermac is getting pretty slow. From basic things like launching an appication to performing simultaneous tasks on different applications. I plan on looking in the Sring. Thank you.

This has probably been said but isn't it funny now that the phrase "IBM compatible" could have an opposite meaning from the original? The current G5s are sorta IBM compatible and next year they.... Oh, nevermind.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sparhawk

Is it smart to buy it, or better to wait til next year when the intel based machines will be out there?

From your question I get the impression that you don't need absolutely right now a machine.

If so, then it is rather a matter of personal preference. The first Intel based machines are not going to offer dramatic performance improvements over the existing G5 based ones. The goal of the transition is not to provide a big performance leap at once, it is more about securing the future and simplifying production of computers.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

if you can wait, wait till the end of the year when the new model iMac g5 comes out. but don't wait one whole year just to get an intel imac, the current iMac g5s are already very very nice.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    thanks for the feedback here.

Will go for the G5 now and order it probably this week, the 20" version The G4 iMac died in the move we made from Holland to Curacao. (Caribbean, island next to Aruba and on top of Venezuela, not going to bother explaining where Holland is hehe)

It is my wife's toy. She is doing baby/toddler photography.

As she is also in an online college, we will get Adobe PS CS2 legal with student discount etc and keep the mac nice and legal Also, it's shipped with Tiger and i am eager to meet Tiger! (never thought i'd say this )

thanks and grtz!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

thanks for the feedback here.

Will go for the G5 now and order it probably this week, the 20" version The G4 iMac died in the move we made from Holland to Curacao. (Caribbean, island next to Aruba and on top of Venezuela, not going to bother explaining where Holland is hehe)

It is my wife's toy. She is doing baby/toddler photography.

As she is also in an online college, we will get Adobe PS CS2 legal with student discount etc and keep the mac nice and legal Also, it's shipped with Tiger and i am eager to meet Tiger! (never thought i'd say this )

thanks and grtz!

hey! i was playing sid meier's Pirates! on PC (2004) last night... i know where curacao is!! and that's where that blue curacao liquor is originally from???? i'm sure i'll find the carribean Holland somewhere on the game map. now that's edutainment...!!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i'm sure i'll find the carribean Holland somewhere on the game map.

Haha, that's why he did not tell you where it is .
  • Reply 8 of 14
    hey are you shure its called Holland and not something like Nieuw Holland ?? Arrr...... i be plundering later 2nite......
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

hey are you shure its called Holland and not something like Nieuw Holland ?? Arrr...... i be plundering later 2nite......

OK, let me stop joking. There are several New Hollands, but only one Holland.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by reynard

... My choices are between one of the last dual-chip Powermac G4s, or a G5 iMac. I am not a power user but my 733 Powermac is getting pretty slow. ...

The last dual-chip PMG4's, MDDs, are keeping their value surprisingly well. You might get an OK deal on a dual-867, but for what the 1.25's are going for, you could get a refurb iMac G5 - and performance-wise, the G5 blows the doors off any G4. So, unless you get a sweetheart deal, the iMac G5 wins hands-down.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Thank you for the advice Cubist. I'll be looking for a 20" iMac so I can have it on my desk by father's day 2006. One reason for considering a dual G4 was its upgradeability. By who (whom?) am I kidding? I'm 51 years old and have never upgraded any computer, save for adding RAM. I started with Macs 16 years ago and love following their saga. But I yam what I yam, and an iMac is plenty good for me.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

hey! i was playing sid meier's Pirates! on PC (2004) last night... i know where curacao is!! and that's where that blue curacao liquor is originally from???? i'm sure i'll find the carribean Holland somewhere on the game map. now that's edutainment...!!

that's right, that blue stuff is made here

Holland = the Netherlands

and new Holland... Ah well, we have had a New Amsterdam, but we had to hand that one over at gunpoint and they turned it into New York hehe I guess we didn't want to push it after that
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Guys any suspicion on new iMacs G5 for the tomorro's conference in Paris ,im planning to buy a new one on wensday ,when do you think an update might come?

thanks

daniel
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMAC G5dreamer

Guys any suspicion on new iMacs G5 for the tomorro's conference in Paris

Not a chance. Zero.

Quote:

,im planning to buy a new one on wensday ,when do you think an update might come?

thanks

daniel

The iMac has been updated in May, so I would say for the next update not before 2006 comes.