Blog software?

fngfng
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
If this has been asked and answered ... sorry. I searched the forum and didn't find enough information.

I'm looking for blogging software. My university has a "personal" web site where students and others can update their personal web pages. I want to put a blog on mine. As far as I can tell I can't run a lot of scripts via my site. The only allowed scripts are the ones the IT people provide like page hit counts and other relics of the internet. I think I can only upload static pages via sftp.

A lot of blogging software I've looked at either a) only hooks into major blog sites or b) requires server side scripts to enter pages and make HTML for readers. So I'd have to run it on my own server which I don't have.

I tried some of the blog softwares. One of which was Blosxom. I had a hard time with it and also it seemed like it required server side scripting.

Any help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Have you tried WordPress?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    WordPress rules.

Also check out FeedBurner and RapidWeaver.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    I only looked at what's a t macdownload.com. Which these don't seem to be. THANKS
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Ask your IT guys if you can run anything that requires PHP and mySQL. If you can't run either of those, most of the cool blogging software is not usable for you.

If I were you, I'd just use Blogger and have it published to your site.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    I just heard back from them and NO I can't use mySQL or php. They let certain groups and departments use it but not individuals. They say the blogs that I see on the individual web pages are either redirects or flattened HTML.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

I just heard back from them and NO I can't use mySQL or php. They let certain groups and departments use it but not individuals. They say the blogs that I see on the individual web pages are either redirects or flattened HTML.

OK. That rules out pretty much everything that's cool. I'd just use blogger and have it publish to your site via FTP.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    I'm a step ahead of you. I just started a blogger account. I'll post back if I can't figure out how to ftp it to my site.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    I don't any names but there are some software programs that you write your blog on the computer and it builds the whole site as static HTML and uploads it. Then when you update, it rebuilds again and so on.

Check versiontracker.com
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I looked there and didn't find anything I liked. blogger seems to be working well for me. I can't get it to upload to my own site. The sFTP connections needs SHH1 connection and there doesn't seem to be an option at blogger to do that.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Depending upon what you want to do, you can have the blogger blog load in a frame.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    iveive Posts: 23member
    Wait for Apple and .Mac

They team up!
  • Reply 12 of 26
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Perhaps a simple html file you add to grouped with a little Automator flow to upload it to your website.

You could probably make an Automator flow to look for certain emails your machine receives and to format and upload them to your website.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Check this out. In asking the IT people how to get Blogger to ftp to my own site ... they decided to block all all FTP from Blogger to my campus. F****** brilliant. They don't want people giving blogger passwords. It makes sense but considering they have no alternative IT people are the kings of CAN'T DO.

I looked at iBlog a white ago and didn't like it. I'll try it again.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

Check this out. In asking the IT people how to get Blogger to ftp to my own site ... they decided to block all all FTP from Blogger to my campus. F****** brilliant. They don't want people giving blogger passwords. It makes sense but considering they have no alternative IT people are the kings of CAN'T DO.

I looked at iBlog a white ago and didn't like it. I'll try it again.

Why do you want to use your campus space in the first place?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    I guess because it's mine.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

I guess because it's mine.

Yeah, but that's sort of like trying to get blood from a stone at this point. If you want to have a blog, set up a blog. Either use blogger or buy some server space somewhere (I use textdrive). There's no reason you can't just link from your uni space.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    if you want to learn a little HMTL and/or use a WYSIWYG program you can create your own. Otherwise, i think you are stuck with getting some server space.

I use Lunarpages and i have been very happy. You can PM me if you want more info.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    iBlog works okay. It's not fully featured but then again I don't have access to mysql and php. Uploading is still a pain because the university still only supports sftp which iBlog does not.

I know enough HTML to know I don't want to bother with HTML. Besides I'm no web site designer.

Thanks all for your suggestion.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    http://www.textpattern.com/ is also very good.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Yes. I second that. Dean has done a remarkable job with Txp. I use Wordpress, myself, mostly because I found Txp to have been sort of too much "Dean Allen thinks like this."