iPod nano sales off to slow start

Comments

• Reply 41 of 149
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Overproducing?

Where are people getting this? Apple has sold every single iPod that has ever come off the line.

Some stores sold out of one model and not the other and somehow this equates to over production or something bad? It should be obvious by now that apple has no problems getting rid of iPods.

When the first sales data starts rolling in, Apple will adjust production. This is simply how business works, perfection is unattainable.

If anything, apple has demonstrated a nearly impecable record of producing the "right" music players. That is, unless people were expecting perfection, for a company to deliver exactly the qty of each model to be sold on the first weekend?

Nothing bad or even unexpected happened with the nano release!
  • Reply 42 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

The stupid dock adapter that doesn't adapt to anything probably makes people feel less warm and fuzzy about their purchase, but at that point they've already bought.

What are you talking about?
  • Reply 43 of 149
    Genentech is buying all 8000+ of it's employees 4 GB iPod nanos. I haven't talked to one person who didn't choose the black one over the white one when we registered for what color we wanted.

So, it seems that the black is just more popular at the moment. Perhaps the problem is that, below a certain size, if a product is white and plastic, it looks like a digital kitchen timer to most people. :-)
  • Reply 44 of 149
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Windows/USB2 syncs iPods faster than OSX/firewire. (Sorry, don't recall the link)

I say this despite being a Mac user and prefering firewire on a technical level.

Far more people lack firewire than lack USB. In the real world, USB is perfect for this device even if a handful of firewire fundamentalists claim that it is a deal breaker.

Keep in mind that no one in this thread said to dump USB 2.

One problem that you miss is that a lot of Macs are in use that have Firewire and only USB 1. Even if we get hypothetical, it's trivial to add FW to most PCs. Unfortunately, a much greater fraction of Macs are not expandable, not all laptops have an external Cardbus/ PCMCIA slot and only PowerMacs have full PCI slots. Also, a lot of PowerMacs new and old can't sleep properly with USB devices plugged into an add-in USB card.
  • Reply 45 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

What the Nano doesn't have is color selection. It may have a color screen, but it still doesn't come in color - and rubber/silicon skins are not the answer. I tried one of these recently and it felt gross to touch my iPod (plus the iSkin I tried left some nasty marks on my iPod).

Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

ProPod Nano, engraved with your corporate logo.

iPod Mini with pink fuzzy teddybear accessories.

You guys may be interested in a red, green or pink iPod nano? Or one with custom logo/print?

http://www.colorwarepc.com

(I'm not affiliated with these guys, nor have I ever purchased anything from them - but looks like a nice service)
  • Reply 46 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gakusei

They should've released 4 and 6 gig models.

I don't think that will be a problem, 6 months from now, but this is unrealistic right now. The 6GB model would probably be $300.

Compare the nano with the price of 2 and 4GB SD cards.
  • Reply 47 of 149
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by afalkner

yeah. I guess I see it both ways. But cant help but wonder the reaction if they had released them in 4 colors..

White, Black, Purple and Navy or Dark Green or Red or or or or......

I suspect Apple knows about trends. Every few years, an injection of colour shakes things up and everyone goes ape sh*t making everything from keychains to CD holders in a multitude of colours.

No more multi-coloured device from Apple...black and white are just fine...at least for a few years.
  • Reply 48 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I don't think that will be a problem, 6 months from now, but this is unrealistic right now. The 6GB model would probably be $300.

Compare the nano with the price of 2 and 4GB SD cards.

Actually it will be:

4GB $199

6GB $249
  • Reply 49 of 149
    see just seeing the nanos in the different colors sparks interest. and for people I think that is what got them so interested in the mini was the ability to very simply personalize their mini by picking a color that represented them.
  • Reply 50 of 149
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by akhomerun

sales will pick up when apple actually lets the public know through magazine and TV ads.

TV ads for the nano and phone have been getting more than enough airplay on Comedy Central.
  • Reply 51 of 149
    I think I want to clarify my position here....I dig the nano and would my self pick the black one. But listening to my wife say how she wishes they came in color and noticing when I go to the gym that almost all the men that have ipods have the regular ipod and almost all the women have minis of various colors. I dont know how many times I've heard a woman describe her ipod mini as cute instead of cool. The nano definately appeals to the geek but the minis appeal was to woman what a new pair of shoes are....accessories to their wardrobe...okay now im getting retarded...hope someone knows what Im getting at. Its not that I hate the nano I just feel the mini and its colors had more appeal to certain areas of our population. And paying 65 dollars more just to get it colored doesnt seem to me to be a good deal. ill stop now. 8)
  • Reply 52 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

The stupid dock adapter that doesn't adapt to anything probably makes people feel less warm and fuzzy about their purchase, but at that point they've already bought.

Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

What are you talking about?

It looks like the included dock adapter allows the design of a universal third party dock connector-compatible devices, that all future iPod designs will have a plate that allows it to adapt to the universal design. Right now, it looks like nothing uses it, but I expect that to change over the coming months.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302272
  • Reply 53 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Actually it will be:

4GB $199

6GB $249

I meant if they released a 6GB NOW, that it probably would have to cost $300, due to the current cost of the flash RAM chips. When the next revision comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if they did release those sizes at the prices you state.
  • Reply 54 of 149
    I don't understand why Apple has gotten rid of there "Flavors?" Apple started the colorful electronic rage and now seems to have abandoned it. People, especially at my age (highschool) really dig the colors. They couldn't care less about the thinness of the device. Most people who I told about the iPod nano just coming in Black and White were really dissapointed. Apple has grown up, meaning they are slowly loosing the younger generations who are their primariy buyers... Sad...

BUT the iPod Nano still looks cool, just don't understand the limited colors...
  • Reply 55 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

... with my 40GB photo, I can't transfer files from mac to pc because its a hard drive. If I had a flash drive, that wouldn't be the case

Actually, I believe the flash drive doesn't change things, it's a drive too. What makes the difference is the format of the drive. Apple has been formatting the flash drives (shuffle) for PCs, which work on a Mac too. Just reformat your iPod to be PC format and reload it. Then you should be able to go between with files.
  • Reply 56 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I meant if they released a 6GB NOW, that it probably would have to cost $300, due to the current cost of the flash RAM chips. When the next revision comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if they did release those sizes at the prices you state.

Also, it is known that the 6GB mini was hardly selling at all compared to the 4GB mini. So, a 6GB nano would likely be wasted. Those who might have purchased it went on to the 20+GB iPods. It would be nice if the nano was priced the same per GB as the mini so that they were $149 (or so) and $199, but Apple likely can't do those prices with the flash RAM and the extras like color screen that the nano brings versus the mini. Sure, perhaps in 6 months to a year, the prices will drop, and there will probably be some new cool other iPod model that you will have to decide between.
  • Reply 57 of 149
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Firewire is a must. No FireWire, no purchase. At least for us.
  • Reply 58 of 149
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    My two Macs are an 800mhz G4 iMac and a 800mhz G4 PowerBook. Neither of us have USB 2 ports. And to buy a -quality- PCMCI USB adapter isn't exctly inexpensive. So not having FireWire on the nano is a big thing for me.

My two current Macs do everything I need them to do. Faster would be nice but not enough to buy new ones yet. That's what Apple gets for making great products. I don't need to update/replace them as often as I did with my Windows PCs which I don't use anymore.

I already have a 60gb iPod photo. If I didn't, due to the lack of FireWire for the nano I would still have to look at the full size iPods. At least until the next version which probably won't have FireWire either. At least if things continue to go the way they have with the shuffle and nano.
  • Reply 59 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkDifferent

I don't understand why Apple has gotten rid of there "Flavors?" Apple started the colorful electronic rage and now seems to have abandoned it. People, especially at my age (highschool) really dig the colors. They couldn't care less about the thinness of the device. Most people who I told about the iPod nano just coming in Black and White were really dissapointed. Apple has grown up, meaning they are slowly loosing the younger generations who are their primariy buyers... Sad...

BUT the iPod Nano still looks cool, just don't understand the limited colors...

Apple is wise to get rid of the colors. The color scheme was cheap and Fisher-Pricey. The current iPods are much more elegant and state-of-the-art looking than the old iPod mini. While the mini was nice, and so were the color iMacs, it was just nice for a time. Maybe colors will reappear every so often in certain products, just not in every line and not all at once. Even so, the colors seemed out of place with Apple's current brand image and product line. Apple's products seem more uniform now, and it's kind of nice.
  • Reply 60 of 149
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    colors are cool and will return maybe that "changing color patent thing" but colors do have inventory control problems

as far as the lower than expected sales--come on this ipod got sooooo much press and expectations more than other mp3 players it's the new cool but their are a lot of cheaper per gig mini's out there, our walmart has a bunch so as these leave the market the nano will soar. also i bet colors come for christmas or the color changes depending on mood or music.