Hook video game console into Powerbook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there currently any way for me to use my Gamecube with my (upcoming) Powerbook G4? If I use a Formac Firewire product, will the frame rate be so slow that Mario will take six seconds (instead of the usual 1) to kick Luigi's ass, or can I really use my Powerbook to replace my TV for this purpose?

-- PEte

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I dont think it has the built in ports. You know, the red,white, and yellow cables?

I am sure there is an adaptor you could buy.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    $400 Sony Digital Media Converter. Hooks to the PowerBook via Firewire. Uses a power adapter so it won't drain your batteries. It has Red Yellow and White (are these called RCA jacks) out, and Red, yellow, and white in. also has two s-video ports. I love this thing. Damn, I am a GENIOUS!!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    The PowerR Director's Cut is somewhat cheaper than the Sony, and it strips out the Macrovision signal as well.

Either the Sony or the PowerR are great units from what I've heard. Don't go with the Dazzle Hollywood, I've heard that the quality is not as good as the others. Formac is also good (includes a TV Tuner), but I haven't heard nice things about their customer service.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by PipelineStall:

<strong>The PowerR Director's Cut is somewhat cheaper than the Sony, and it strips out the Macrovision signal as well.

Either the Sony or the PowerR are great units from what I've heard. Don't go with the Dazzle Hollywood, I've heard that the quality is not as good as the others. Formac is also good (includes a TV Tuner), but I haven't heard nice things about their customer service. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I can vouch for Formac having crappy customer service. Took me 4 months to get a cd-burner replaced by them (by which time faster and cheaper drives were on the market)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    My question is, though: is the frame rate exactly that of TV? Slower?

-- PEte
  • Reply 6 of 7
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    [quote]Originally posted by CoolHandPete:

<strong>Is there currently any way for me to use my Gamecube with my (upcoming) Powerbook G4? If I use a Formac Firewire product, will the frame rate be so slow that Mario will take six seconds (instead of the usual 1) to kick Luigi's ass, or can I really use my Powerbook to replace my TV for this purpose?

-- PEte</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's impossible for your computer to slow down the Gamecube (or any other game console). If your video capture hardware can't handle the video stream, it will drop frames or something, but it *can't* actually slow down the console.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I realize that the computer can't slow down the game console, but will the video be slow on the computer with one of these TV tuner cards?

-- PEte