Office 12: UI

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does this remind you of anything?

MS is once again using 5 year old UI to sell it's 'new' and upcoming flagship product.

Brilliant!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Wonder what the Mac version will look like? (takers anyone?)
  • Reply 2 of 30
    wow.. trying to bring back aqua already?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Wonder what the Mac version will look like? (takers anyone?)

• Reply 4 of 30
    Drool.

I'll be first in line for candy Office 12 goodness.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The worst part about that travesty?

No menus.

Seriously.

They got rid of them. Those words across the top access toolbars, like tabs.

Yup, the toolbars are now modal, and all menu item = verb methodology is out the window.

Ain't it KEWL!?

Idjits.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

They got rid of them. Those words across the top access toolbars, like tabs.

Yup, the toolbars are now modal, and all menu item = verb methodology is out the window.

I don't get the new paradigm. You mean that the cluttered Word toolbar will change each time you select a different "menu"?

--B
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Yup.

See where 'Write' is highlighted? That dark area below it is the toolbar associated with it. Click on 'Insert' and it changes to another toolbar.

And the only menu is File.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Yup.

See where 'Write' is highlighted? That dark area below it is the toolbar associated with it. Click on 'Insert' and it changes to another toolbar.

And the only menu is File.

Definitely an improvement. No more distinguishing between items in those "wordy" menus. Now I only have to distinguish the command I want from a group of tiny little picture boxes.

Nice.

--B
  • Reply 9 of 30
    No one ever claimed the MS UI folks were smart.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

No one ever claimed the MS UI folks were smart.

They fix the unbroken.©

You know what gets on my nuts? When I don't know what a button does and I have to hover and wait. I hate the milisecond wait, especially when I have to find a command hidden behind several buttons. I recognize that I would hate it if it came up instantly as well, because the buttons I need that feature for are the minority. I'd like to bring it up with an Option+click or something like that. fn would make more sense, really.

--B
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Essentially, MS has reduced the icon/menu == object/action paradigm to have all the conceptual elegance of your microwave oven button panel.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Seriously, that is so messed up
  • Reply 13 of 30
    I like the part where it's hideous.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Nice concept but I still prefer the Office 2000 UI because I do not use any of the "advanced" features that this UI is trying to put out in the open, and vertical space is wasted with the way the toolbar is laid out.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Well, there's still OpenOffice.org with the old-style MS Office-like UI. I suspect a lot of people are gonna go for it - not a great amount, but they're gonna pick up some here and there.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Here's hoping it breaks the "But I don't wanna learn a new UI!" whiners. But you just know it won't.

And to be honest, the 'classic' Word UI is precisely why I *haven't* migrated to OpenOffice. It's still horrid.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Can it be customized on an icon-per-icon basis? Can I put whatever function wherever I want or only in its "parent"...uhmm..."menu window"?
  • Reply 18 of 30

Very Intuitive©. Like Miró.

--B
  • Reply 19 of 30
    has microsoft done anything useful in the past five years? let's see...

a better overall experience.

(welll.. sometimes prettier, but always as irritating, so no)

a better ui?

(no)

more user interface/ human-computer interaction research?

(what research?)

original ideas?

(no. "just copy apple" seems to be the mantra at redmond)

a secure, stable operating system?

(hmmm. definitely not)

*sigh* WTF.
  • Reply 20 of 30

And to be honest, the 'classic' Word UI is precisely why I *haven't* migrated to OpenOffice. It's still horrid.

i tried my best to use openOffice. i really really tried. but it is/was *shudder* unspeakably ugly