I went to church.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

You mean the Psychotic Bastard Religion.

Cake or Death?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    I went to church as a kid, largely because of the free donuts and coffee we got after the sermon.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    well im glad he had a nice time at church, but i have not been to church since i saw a young boy being teased because he had that diease that caused his face to look as if someone threw a bottle of bleach at it. i will never forget seeing the tears roll down his face...

this was during the service.

not very "christian" at all...

i tried to comfort him and to get the kids to stop but to no avail. i never went back.

it seems too many churches nowadays have become places where some go to be "entertained" instead of to praise and learn. when i went i sure as heck didn't go to see "the band" when singing in the choir becomes a career move, you know somethings wrong.

there is a church in texas where if you saw the pics you would think you were in a mall. coffee shop, bookstore, movie theatre, ticket office, visitor center, good lord, is this a church or a mall?

its like they built a mall, and threw a church in the middle of it as an afterthought...

and dont even get me started on the "crystal cathedral"

what did the apostle paul say? "he must increase, i must decrease"
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Very cool Hassan

I am glad you had a nice time.

Just last night my wife and I heard a gifted Christian author speak at a Church near our home. Max Lucado. He comes around about once yearly to this Church to speak and it is always a special treat to listen to his words which uplift and inspire compassion and understanding.

Before his talk which inspired both Heather and myself we had a time of worship with singing of songs. While this Church is not our home Church and is in fact a different denomination I fully appriciated and celebrate the diversity of worship styles in this big and diverse yet ever smaller world of ours.

Fellows
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

That's pretty cool that they had this (relatively) well known jazz pianist at this church. What type of church was it - Lutheran?

an - were you raised Muslim?

I don't know what kind of denomination it was. I've found the church on the web but I don't read Norwegian.

I wasn't raised religiously at all. My parents were (and I suppose still are) Soviet-style communists, which was permissible, even fashionable, at the time. There was no god in my house.

My background is mixed and I was raised (for my formative years) in a very rural part of Britain.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Hey Fellowship, you have to check this man's music.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionande...interview.html

I had no idea he was a Christian, as it happens, I just loved his music. I didn't think his faith was relevant to the music he made but reading this, I guess it is.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

I had no idea he was a Christian, as it happens, I just loved his music. I didn't think his faith was relevant to the music he made but reading this, I guess it is.

You devil -- I expected a bunch of asynchronous, Copeland-on-mescaline poo-poo, but instead I get this quite yummy sample?

Nice.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:

Took a listen to his work and it is a treat. Some of his work when listening to it reminds me of a calm scene in a coffee house on a rainy day. Sort of a mind-picture if you will of the idea of ultimate calm and pleasure in the subtle details.

Great Stuff!

Fellows
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

The vicar hit a prayer bell and there was silence for three minutes, and I even said (God help me) a prayer. Well, I thought about the world and wished for specific things to get better, and thought about myself and how I wished to be better in specific ways, wishing these things would come about somehow. Then later the congregation were invited to bang their heels on the floor in a heartbeat and Tørd and the trumpeter played on top of it after a while. The trumpeter finished by blowing through his trumpet, unvoiced. It was beautiful.

It was very, very cool. Nice Christian stuff.

respect to Jesus and His followers for that experience which had an effect on me. Nice.

• Reply 30 of 33
    "....I see alot of people in the world full of hate. Full of contempt for others, because of the little thing. Yet a slight shift of attitude, would open up a whole new world of compassionate love for nearly everyone. -MarcUK"

well. this is where i'm at, kind of the "endgame" i am exploring. of course, its viewed as "end" only because i am yet to fully comprehend "transitions to another reality" or "eternal love" etc... but something currently in our reality, well, i'm into the whole 2012 thing not as 'the end of the world' but just as an interesting timepoint for reflection on the state of humankind, a kind of confluence in the timeline

peace y'all. wooo... time for my medication.

hassan, actually, now the Chapel part when i was in methodist high school, the sermons were downright terrible, all, you suck, you're going to hell, you're guilty guilty guilty... but i did like the singing, was quite uplifting, and i was in the choir for a while, they did some christian songs like Hallelujah and that was cool when the harmonies came together.... probably formed the basis of my harmonic understanding and enjoyment of trance music

trance music - heh. it's like take a key, pick out a "mode" (set of notes in that key). and then form catchy tunes out of different combinations of that note, repeat, repeat, build up, drop kickdrum, repeat, repeat, build up, fade to space out chill zone music mmmm..... drum roll... build up... build up... build uppppppppp...... play same tune this time at max perceived loudness. add shimmering female vocals uttering sweet nothings like "this is the time" or "i will love you till the end of time". words to include are love, time, you, me, us, forever, now, etc....

hey maybe i'll go back to school and do a masters in music comparing modern dance/techno/trance music with gospel and try and derive what the devices are that combine to form a common spiritual feel. but i guess that would kill the whole fun of the experience once you deconstruct and over-analyse stuff \
  • Reply 31 of 33
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    One thing has to be said about norwegian church-music.

Because of the (partially) liberal state church, a lot of churches have become venues for different kinds of jazz-related concerts. Artists like the organist Iver Kleive and even jazz legend Jan Garbarek have become quite famous for their church performances.

I'm not sure if this would have been possible if the churches were not run by the state...
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

I will have to check out Gustavesen, most of my Christian music taste stops at Larry Norman so I'm not really qualified to comment yet

I wouldn't call Gustavsen's music 'Christian'. He's just a musician who happens to be a Christian and takes time out to play in a church sometimes, if you get my drift.