Nintendo Revolution Controller Revealed...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Nintendo revealed the revolution controller yesterday at the TGS.

Before you start bashing them for releasing a remote, understand how this things really works- it has real time 3D space tracking, it can tell how far away from the TV it is, how it's tilted, and where it is relative to the TV.

If you watch the video that IGN has of the people playing games with it- you'll want to get your hands on it and give it a try.

Most developers & editors who have tried it are very pleased. I'm excited because it's something different, but is able to play your standard games too.

Check out the video at IGN.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    You mean, revealed?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

You mean, revealed?

Yes, revealed, spelling wasn't my greatest subject in elementary school.

Can a mod change the topic title?

• Reply 3 of 9
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I think that's a design that has RSI written all over it. It doesn't look like it'd be at all comfortable for playing for too long.

I'm sure it'll be very good for making some interesting new types of games but I wonder how well it would handle some old styles. Then again Nintendo isn't really the sweetheart of the mass market.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I think that's a design that has RSI written all over it. It doesn't look like it'd be at all comfortable for playing for too long.

I'm sure it'll be very good for making some interesting new types of games but I wonder how well it would handle some old styles. Then again Nintendo isn't really the sweetheart of the mass market.

It's smaller than it looks. I'd peg it at about 6" long. Nintendo's controllers have always been good quality.

The controller is modular. They will have a traditional controller accessory that you slip over this one... for the games that need more classic configurations.

Very ballsy, but innovative.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Then again Nintendo isn't really the sweetheart of the mass market.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to get at with this statement. Are you emplying that mass market = best system?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I'm not even sure what you're trying to get at with this statement. Are you emplying that mass market = best system?

Nope but the best sellers tend to be sport games, FPS and to some extent general platform. The first two certainly aren't Nintendo's strength, although they did have 2 hits that spring to mind but they aren't they console you buy if you want the standard style of games that tend to be the most attractive to the public. To me it really seems they are trying to combat Sony's EyeToy. Really it offers a lot of what Nintendo is talking about here but it doesn't have the issue of needing to be tolerant of probably ending up thrown across the room (it's bound to happen) and it doesn't have what consists of what I expect will be a very uncomfortable controller outside of casual gaming. It does have the problem that it doesn't have any buttons though.

The only controller that I'd consider worse is Sony's battarang. That thing is truly shocking but then again maybe when I get my hands on it I'll think differently. Given the positioning with respect to the hand in the photo I doubt it if those mid to lower buttons are used too much, vertical alignments aren't great for hands and that's some reach you'll need. The lack of connection will make it somewhat uncomfortable after a while I'd say. I'm sure it'll be very interesting it is just a matter of will it be as successful as the EyeToy in penetrating the average home.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Given the positioning with respect to the hand in the photo I doubt it if those mid to lower buttons are used too much, vertical alignments aren't great for hands and that's some reach you'll need.

Um- that's why you turn the controller on it's side and make an NES controller.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    i am just scared that people will be turned off by the unusual/revolutionary design of the new controller.... i mean, we use a wand to control our TV, do we want one for our video games?