Apple may build video cams into future Macs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Xrist, I hope Apple stops doing this kind of value-add crap. I work in a classified government installation and Apple could well end up making themselves unusable in my environment. Their love of BlueTooth and AirPort, while laudable in the mass market, is making it difficult to obtain Macs for use "inside". Cameras would be an absolute, no-work-around nail in the coffin.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    I don't think an attached cam is a good idea, You cam still buy a UniBrain Fire-i cam for much cheaper then an iSight AND it comes with all of its accessories, mini tripod and Clip for Power/i Books.

Quote:

Originally posted by jimhill

I work in a classified government installation and Apple could well end up making themselves unusable in my environment. Cameras would be an absolute, no-work-around nail in the coffin.

Put a 5¢ nail in the lens. Issue over.

• Reply 23 of 29
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimhill

Xrist, I hope Apple stops doing this kind of value-add crap. I work in a classified government installation and Apple could well end up making themselves unusable in my environment. Their love of BlueTooth and AirPort, while laudable in the mass market, is making it difficult to obtain Macs for use "inside". Cameras would be an absolute, no-work-around nail in the coffin.

The fact of the matter is that Apple makes the majority of its money in the consumer market, not the business market. The business market, when it is bigger than five people and big enough to care about that crap would probably by powermacs, and if not, someone put it explicitly well - put a 5C nail in the lense. You could probably get the nails from that coffin you mentioned.

I understand that it is illegal to have a camera phone in a workplace environment in the U.S (I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong), but camera makers have found a solution. They release two models one with/without camera.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

I understand that it is illegal to have a camera phone in a workplace environment in the U.S (I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong), but camera makers have found a solution. They release two models one with/without camera.

It's not, and they don't. The application he was talking about is for military facilities. Any country with secure facilities shouldn't be allowing camera phones, video cameras, and regular cameras, attached to a computer or not.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

It's not, and they don't. The application he was talking about is for military facilities. Any country with secure facilities shouldn't be allowing camera phones, video cameras, and regular cameras, attached to a computer or not.

Umm...that's why the solution was brought forward: One model with the camera...the other *without*.

Nobody said BTO would stop existing.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Doesn't work that way. Either the laptop has the camera or not. Highly unlikely they will give you the option due to cost.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    I would like to see some way to cover the lens if the cameras were built into the laptop (something more elegant than a nail). When I was overseas last year a lot of people had iSights and other little cameras for talking to their families back home. One of the techs at the studio was able to hack into the computers and route the video elsewhere pretty easy. I would be very worried about that happening as a general thing.

Just a paranoid thought.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

Doesn't work that way. Either the laptop has the camera or not. Highly unlikely they will give you the option due to cost.

So, are you implying it would be similar to Apple not offering BTO options to buy current iBook/Powerbook models without AirPort and/or Bluetooth hardware?
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Apple includes bluetooth and airport now, so unless you are going to rip your machine apart, you can't have them removed. and if you make a hole to casing for camera, it would look quite silly if there wasn't camera inside, naturally ripping your computer to pieces solves that problem as well...