Powerbook update never coming

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0509g5.html

Seems that Apple is not going to update the G4 Powerbooks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    I did not see where that article said that. It talked about the updates to the PowerMac. At the end of the article, it mentioned that thus far details of an upgrade to the Powerbooks have eluded them. They went on to speculate that the Powerbooks would not be updated until January 2006 at the earliest. I never saw where the article ever mentioned anything about the Powerbooks not being updated.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    This is all true, but by the time they do get around to updating the PowerBooks, will more than a few people on the planet even care?
  • Reply 3 of 41
    I imagine there are a large number of people waiting to buy, specifically, the last PPC PowerBook available.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by NeedAnewMac

This is all true, but by the time they do get around to updating the PowerBooks, will more than a few people on the planet even care?

I don't know own that one. My gut would say probably not. I can say for certain that, unless Apple comes out with a low power, low heat G5 based Powerbook, I am waiting until the Intel switch happens before I consider purchasing one.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    I'm looking to buy the last G4 PB before the intel stuff comes out. I want something safe and reliable that will run all my existing apps full speed for the next couple of years till this all gets sorted out.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    I guess, if they aren't updating them now, I'll just buy some memory until the next update. Oh well...
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Actually, they need to get some new machines out soon. We have 5 Tibooks in our center that are all falling apart. Boss is so mad that he does not want another Apple. ):

Are the alum books better? The ti books just run too hot and are way to flimsy. Really Road apples if you ask me.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

Actually, they need to get some new machines out soon. We have 5 Tibooks in our center that are all falling apart. Boss is so mad that he does not want another Apple. ):

Are the alum books better? The ti books just run too hot and are way to flimsy. Really Road apples if you ask me.

Aluminum books are DEFFINATELY more durable if that's what you're asking.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    I am also looking to buy a new Powerbook

but only if they push it to 1920x1200 resolution.

I do not want to go down in resolution.

If they don't come out with one this month, I might have to get a G5 instead, which is not really what I want to do.

But I'm not sacrificing my screen res. I'm a designer. I need those pixels!
  • Reply 10 of 41
    I'm waiting for a 64-bit PowerBook be it a G5 or Intel. If Apple uses a 32-bit Yonah from Intel, I will be extremely dissapointed.

Most importantly Apple needs to ditch flourescent backlighting in all of it's LCD displays be it notebooks or desktop displays.

Here's the likely progression of display technology:

flourescent backlit LCDs -> LED backlit LCDs -> OLEDs

OLEDs will deffinately look the best (greatest contrast, best viewing angles, easiest on the eyes).
  • Reply 11 of 41
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ngmapple

Yes, that is what I am asking. All the Tibooks we have looks like they were sent to a war zone. Terrible. I just have to convince my boss that it was just bad luck and the new ones are better.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

Yes, that is what I am asking. All the Tibooks we have looks like they were sent to a war zone. Terrible. I just have to convince my boss that it was just bad luck and the new ones are better.

The powerbook is one of the few machines out there than can be dropped several feet and still keep ticking. The TiBooks aren't all Titanium they ahve a lot of plastic trim, where as the AlBooks are pretty much all metal all round. The AlBooks also have MUCH better hinges.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

I'm waiting for a 64-bit PowerBook be it a G5 or Intel. If Apple uses a 32-bit Yonah from Intel, I will be extremely dissapointed.

Well, only if Apple sticks enough RAM connectors on the mother board to support more than 4GB of memory (--> unlikely!!)

Quote:

OLEDs will deffinately look the best (greatest contrast, best viewing angles, easiest on the eyes).

True, but not in the near future. Right now, OLEDs are not mature enough for producing laptop displays. They're ok for small screen devices (maybe iPod OLEDs in the near future, if it's not already the case, i dunno!). But by, say, the end of 2007, I hope we'll have OLEDs in Powerbooks (and iBooks too) : they require less power and are cheaper, plus they bring all the display quality ngmapple talked about!
  • Reply 14 of 41
    As an owner of the much-maligned TiBook, let me say ... the machine does look like it had a hard life (it HAS been dropped several feet...) but it still rocks. I'm glad to hear of mech improvements to the AIbooks. My wish list for new powerbooks w/intel -

fast

cooler, please

batteries that keep going and going..

much brighter (iBook?) displays

improved airport reception

eventually ... multiple processors or dual-core

... saying this knowing the OS and video apps and connectivity will already be great. If this happens, I'll be looking for a new powerbook ... a year or so after buying a new PM (announced next week?)

I'd be inclined to think powerbooks would be high on the list for the first macintels, given the importance of laptops to macintosh line sales.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

That is debatable...

They don't survive 4 ft drops that is for sure...
  • Reply 16 of 41
    If Apple is to revise the PowerBook G4 line, here is what I would hope for. Mainly, lower prices!

12-inch PowerBook: Bye-bye

15-inch PowerBook:

1.6 PowerPC G4

1280x854 resolution

1GB DDR 400 SDRAM (2 x 512)

100 GB HD (5,400 RPM)

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 DDR)

Backlit Keyboard

Analog audio in/out

$1,599

17-inch PowerBook:

1.8 PowerPC G4

1400x900 resolution

1GB DDR 400 SDRAM (2 x 512)

100 GB HD (5,400 RPM)

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 DDR)

Backlit Keyboard

Analog & Digital audio in/out

$1,999

17-inch PowerBook SuperFly:

1.8 PowerPC G4

1900x1200 high definition resolution with Apple Vivid? Technology

1GB DDR 400 SDRAM (1 x 1024)

120 GB HD (5,400 RPM)

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (256 DDR)

Backlit Keyboard

Analog & Digtial audio in/out

$2,399

All PowerBook G4 models come built-in with gigabit ethernet, S-video out, trackpad scrolling capability, Sudden Motion Sensor (SMS), Dual-link DVI functionality, Bluetooth 2.0, Airport Express, Firewire 400 & 800 ports, and 16x Dual-layer DVD±R SuperDrives.

I think Apple needs the above to remain competative!
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

If Apple is to revise the PowerBook G4 line, here is what I would hope for. Mainly, lower prices!

12-inch PowerBook: Bye-byeI think Apple needs the above to remain competative!

Why say goodbye to the 12-inch Powerbook? I know the rumors are around that say that, but it is one of the best selling models. I don't want to haul around a 15-inch.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Another Ti owner chiming in, albeit somewhat off topic.

I've used mine in College, travelled with it through Europe, and used it for standard business fare. My Ti doesn't look like its been in a war zone and is reliable. Usually we hear only negative reports, but I've had about as positive experience as one can have.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Why say goodbye to the 12-inch Powerbook? I know the rumors are around that say that, but it is one of the best selling models. I don't want to haul around a 15-inch.

We don't know if it's one of their best selling models since Apple no longer discloses this information. The iBook is selling like hotcakes only by the fact that it appears as the #1 selling notebook on Amazon, and is the only Mac in the top 20 selling products at the online Apple Store.

I think the iBook substantially eclipses it's 12-inch Pro brother. Like the iPod Mini, I think the 12-inch PowerBook's demise is handwriting is on Apple's wall, soon to be revealed

Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

My Ti doesn't look like its been in a war zone and is reliable. Usually we hear only negative reports, but I've had about as positive experience as one can have.

Yeah, I think the # of well-kept, still working TiBooks vastly outnumbers the TiBooks that have died or are in tough tough shape.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    DHagan,

Well, look at the 12-inch Powerbook on Amazon. The Superdrive model is usually ahead of the 15-inch and 17-inch models, and the worst it ever goes is second to one of the 15-inch models.

Furthermore, back when the Powerbooks were updated, the 12-inch was right up there towards the top. The iBook 12-inch does dominate, but the Powerbook hasn't been updates in ages.

I think its safe to say a lot more 12-inch Powerbooks are sold than 17-inch.