Can you silence a Mighty Mouse?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm getting tired of the little sound made by the MM speaker when I move the mini-ball thing, any way of shutting it off?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    uh, system preferences? I don't have one so I wouldnt know, but that seems to be the obvious solution.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Knee Of Justice

uh, system preferences? I don't have one so I wouldnt know, but that seems to be the obvious solution.

if only it were that simple, thanks anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    the noise isn't that loud. In fact, it's quieter than my Microsoft mouse's scroll wheel and it doesn't even have a speaker. Plus, it adds character.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Now this is the "blindingly obvious" approach, but I don't see it mentioned yet so here goes.

Open mouse, remove speaker or destroy it in place.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Now this is the "blindingly obvious" approach, but I don't see it mentioned yet so here goes.

Open mouse, remove speaker or destroy it in place.

I thought about that but I'm fairly sure I'd ruin the mouse in the process, reckon I'll just carry on using my MS Intellimouse Explorer 2
  • Reply 6 of 13
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Send it to me. You'll never hear that noise all the way from my desk.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You have installed the included software, right?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

You have installed the included software, right?

Yes, but I cannot see a "disable irritating and unnecessary artificial sound" check-box
  • Reply 9 of 13
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    turn your iPod volume up.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I played with the MM and I did not see sound holes or anything and the noise seemed yo be mechanical. Are we sure that there really is a speaker?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSeeItNow

I played with the MM and I did not see sound holes or anything and the noise seemed yo be mechanical. Are we sure that there really is a speaker?

yes, it's a speaker
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSeeItNow

If you unplug the mouse and move the ball it's nearly silent, plug it in and it makes the noise. I found a way of silencing the thing, I gave it to someone else and went back to my MS Inti instead
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Just chop its tail off.