"Recovered Files" In Trash At Start Up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently switched from an eMac to a Power Mac 2.3 GHz, and it seems like every other time I turn on my computer there is a "recovered files" folder in the trash. I think they are usually Quick Time and Safari temp files, but I could be mistaken. This only happened with my eMac when an application crashed. It's not a huge deal to me, I am just curious as to what is causing this, or if other Power Mac users have experienced anything similar.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by xedgelockx

I recently switched from an eMac to a Power Mac 2.3 GHz, and it seems like every other time I turn on my computer there is a "recovered files" folder in the trash. I think they are usually Quick Time and Safari temp files, but I could be mistaken. This only happened with my eMac when an application crashed. It's not a huge deal to me, I am just curious as to what is causing this, or if other Power Mac users have experienced anything similar.

i rember that carp from mac os 8 on original imac. i contacted apple, but i guess that was before they had good support cause they didn't do anything. They said it wasn't a problem though and not to worry if that helps at all?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Are you running any kind of utility like antivirus, Norton, or other stuff?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Are you running any kind of utility like antivirus, Norton, or other stuff?

I am running Norton Antivirus 10.0.1.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I have had the same experience since switching to Tiger on my Powerbook, and am not running Norton. Unsure why.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    When your system crashes *hard*, or if you force a reboot (much more likely), there's a chance of disk corruption.

If your machine didn't get a chance to shut down properly, the next boot triggers a disk check. Files found to be questionable are placed in the 'Recovered Files' folder for you to check. Generally these are just garbage that are left over from the forced reboot.

The link with Norton is that Norton products are pretty notorious for making Macs unstable, leading to hard crashes or forced reboots.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

When your system crashes *hard*, or if you force a reboot (much more likely), there's a chance of disk corruption.

If your machine didn't get a chance to shut down properly, the next boot triggers a disk check. Files found to be questionable are placed in the 'Recovered Files' folder for you to check. Generally these are just garbage that are left over from the forced reboot.

The link with Norton is that Norton products are pretty notorious for making Macs unstable, leading to hard crashes or forced reboots.

hahaha so the anti-virus app. is causing more problems than it can protect against!!!! why would anyon bother to use anti-virus, i disabled my firewall and virex from .mac never had a problem on 2 computers and 7 1/2 years
  • Reply 7 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well, I am seeing that too.

And I do NOT have any anti-virus crap. Guys, trash that anti-virus crap fyi, there are no Mac viruses.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Has anything helped with your 'recovered files' issue xedgelockx?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Has anything helped with your 'recovered files' issue xedgelockx?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it is Norton now. I'd take it off but my college requires it to get on to their network.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    damn man, they are retards. Sort of like URI. They hand out Virex to mac users because "they need it." "Macs have viruses." UGH I have my work cut out for me. *groan*