The Nano Plan

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Alright, so nano was released. What's next for the nano? I am contemplating getting rid of my gen3 iPod, however, we all know Apple will be updating the nano--but when? And how? And that damn vPod is apparently coming out around... christmas perhaps?

Basically, I want to know people's estimates on the timeframe of Apple's upgrade of the nano, and what it might be. Maybe an upgrade to 6 gb of flash memory? What else can they really do with it? Also--new rumors about a $50 price drop if sales don't improve over the next few weeks (and why would they?).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mordak

Also--new rumors about a $50 price drop if sales don't improve over the next few weeks (and why would they?).

Yeah it is hard to improve sales when you've sold out all your stock. Calling around on the weekend I couldn't find a 4GB version anywhere in either colour.

I doubt there'll be any upgrades until close to the middle of next year for the summer in the US.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I bet the next nano will hold more music. I'm not buying one until it can hold more, 1000 songs is too small (especially if you use apple lossless.)
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Yeah it is hard to improve sales when you've sold out all your stock. Calling around on the weekend I couldn't find a 4GB version anywhere in either colour.

I doubt there'll be any upgrades until close to the middle of next year for the summer in the US.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=57554
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Alright, so nano was released. What's next for the nano?

It has only been like 10-12 days! Goodness sake!

Quote:

however, we all know Apple will be updating the nano--but when?

Not for AT LEAST 4-5 months.

Quote:

And that damn vPod is apparently coming out around... christmas perhaps?

If it is ready...expect well before Thanksgiving...probably before Halloween. Needs to be announced, known and available before (Christmas) shopping starts.

Quote:

I want to know people's estimates on the timeframe of Apple's upgrade of the nano, and what it might be.

February/March at the earliest. Maybe colors. Maybe higher capacity.

They are going to begin hitting some limits here:

1. Size...they cannot go much smaller without sacrificing usability.

2. Capacity...most of the market only needs/wants so much capacity. The fact that iPod mini was their best selling product should tell us something.

• Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Yeah it is hard to improve sales when you've sold out all your stock.

Yea... all the stores around our area who sell them are out of stock. Even the Apple Store online is showing 5 to 7 days before shipping.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adam07

I bet the next nano will hold more music. I'm not buying one until it can hold more, 1000 songs is too small (especially if you use apple lossless.)

If you use apple lossless because you are a so called "musiclover" even an iPod 60GB would be too small to hold an avarage "musiclovers" CD collection.

My girlfriends 4GB nano can have up to 550 aac@224kbps tracks and indeed, that isn't much.

It's obvious the nano will get 2x4GB, if we're lucky @mwsf 2006, probally later
  • Reply 7 of 21
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

If you use apple lossless because you are a so called "musiclover" even an iPod 60GB would be too small to hold an avarage "musiclovers" CD collection.

My girlfriends 4GB nano can have up to 550 aac@224kbps tracks and indeed, that isn't much.

It's obvious the nano will get 2x4GB, if we're lucky @mwsf 2006, probally later

Using apple lossless you get 3000 songs in a iPod 60gig, and 100 or so songs in a 4Gig iPod - 3000 songs is sufficient for my collection of CDs, and 100 songs is sufficient for an outing.

Real music lovers buy mostly LPs (not trying to be a snob here, just stating facts) which are not easily burned into iTunes.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I have to agree that the Nano wont be updated until about march time, samsung just announced 16gb chips...which are similar ones used in the nano---> i believe

video ipod? well jobs just crushed any near term wishes for that at the apple expo in europe yesterday.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    they won't update the nano for a while but when they do it won't become any smaller. I was looking at some pictures of it (haven't seen one in person yet) and it CANNOT be thinner. if it was thinner you could not have a standard headphone jack.

i do hope apple is able to make the next full sized ipod more nano like and less full sized... maybe with an 80 GB HD... and black.... yeah...
  • Reply 10 of 21
    One of the guys at work just got one. It isn't that they cannot be smaller. It is that they do not need to be any smaller. This thing is tiny. I would be afraid of losing it pretty easily.

If there were an 8 GB or larger version, I would be very interested in getting one, but a 4 GB for $250 is a little on the high side.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Besides holding more songs I can see the nano getting remote control features. What would it control, you ask? The new iLife app that will be the player for the other iLife apps. iTunes can play music, videos, and podcasts. iPhoto has albums, slideshows, and QuickTime video from digital cameras. GarageBand has music. iDVD has movies that can be saved as disk images and played as if they were on disk. Finally, there is the optical drive that is also available if there is a disk in it. DVD Player will still be included with the Mac, but this new app will push it into the background.

The items that will appear at MWSF 2006:

1 - iLife '06 that will be needed because of the new app.

2 - updated AirPort Express which will be able to stream video.

3 - iPod with video capabilities. Music videos, iDVD/iMovie projects for now, but later on, full length movies, and iWork documents.

4 - iPod accessories that will add to the experience of the iPod video.

There is no iPod Photo anymore, but there will most likely be an iPod Video for the first year before Apple makes all iPods video capable and returning to just iPod.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Using apple lossless you get 3000 songs in a iPod 60gig, and 100 or so songs in a 4Gig iPod - 3000 songs is sufficient for my collection of CDs, and 100 songs is sufficient for an outing.

Real music lovers buy mostly LPs (not trying to be a snob here, just stating facts) which are not easily burned into iTunes.

Also the audio quality from an iPod isn't amazing and when u listen to an iPod the environment isn't favourable so I don't understand why not use AAC or MP3? In your living room with headphones an iPod wouldn't be good enough and it you're using portable headphones and an iPod while commuting etc. the music quality is barely noticeable.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

Besides holding more songs I can see the nano getting remote control features. What would it control, you ask? The new iLife app that will be the player for the other iLife apps. iTunes can play music, videos, and podcasts. iPhoto has albums, slideshows, and QuickTime video from digital cameras. GarageBand has music. iDVD has movies that can be saved as disk images and played as if they were on disk. Finally, there is the optical drive that is also available if there is a disk in it. DVD Player will still be included with the Mac, but this new app will push it into the background.

The items that will appear at MWSF 2006:

1 - iLife '06 that will be needed because of the new app.

2 - updated AirPort Express which will be able to stream video.

3 - iPod with video capabilities. Music videos, iDVD/iMovie projects for now, but later on, full length movies, and iWork documents.

4 - iPod accessories that will add to the experience of the iPod video.

There is no iPod Photo anymore, but there will most likely be an iPod Video for the first year before Apple makes all iPods video capable and returning to just iPod.

I'm not so sure Jobs has slagged off video iPods in the past and I don't see them by MWSF - although he has been known to backtrack I think it's unlikely, very unlikely.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    yeah, video capabilities don't really excite me. However, I would like for them to make the regular ipod a little more sleek and slim and put in an 80 GB hard drive... if they did that i'd buy one in a second... a little surprise of something i haven't thought of would be nice too.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

we all know Apple will be updating the nano--but when? And how?

Obviously, this is going to take a while. The first update to the iPod mini came over a year after introduction, same for the first update to the original iPod. iPod shuffle has been released in January and hasn't been updated yet.

My guestimate would be between May 06 and January 07, depending on the time the competition wakes up and tries to imitate the nano.

Quote:

Also--new rumors about a $50 price drop if sales don't improve over the next few weeks (and why would they?).

They have. According to the Apple store site, the nano is the top selling item now. I really can't see a price drop at least until January even if the nano would sell worse. If it continues to sell as it does right now, no price drop till the next revision.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Obviously, this is going to take a while. The first update to the iPod mini came over a year after introduction, same for the first update to the original iPod. iPod shuffle has been released in January and hasn't been updated yet.

My guestimate would be between May 06 and January 07, depending on the time the competition wakes up and tries to imitate the nano.

They have. According to the Apple store site, the nano is the top selling item now. I really can't see a price drop at least until January even if the nano would sell worse. If it continues to sell as it does right now, no price drop till the next revision.

There will be a price drop when they go to 6 or 8 GB - as in they will be cheaper per GB. This is what they've done with all the iPods.

I expect an 80GB 5G iPod sometime soon - Apple really need 3 iPod options in the iPod line - 20GB jumping to 60GB isn't good - we need an in-between.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Not that the nano really needs it but,

What's up with the lame Nano commercial?

A hand waving a Nano around pointlessly.

Untill another hand makes a lame attempt to take it away.

Oh so deep and exciting. Not!

The ROKR is lame but it has a cool commercial.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Not that the nano really needs it but,

What's up with the lame Nano commercial?

A hand waving a Nano around pointlessly.

Untill another hand makes a lame attempt to take it away.

Oh so deep and exciting. Not!

it's showing how small it is. The silhouette ads didn't even show you the iPod!
  • Reply 19 of 21
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

are you serious? I think the ROKR commercials are horrible.

To each their own though!
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Those silhouette ads were purely ingenious, simple and effective, they didn't need to show ipod, becaus everyone in target grop allready knew what it looked like, the point was those white headphones, so next time you see your neigbour with white earpuds you know that even he trusts apple quallity, and they actually don't even need to apples white cords, effect still works.