Dual Core vs Dual CPUs G5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just bought my 1st ever mac couple months ago PowerMac G5 2.7Ghz. Now with looming dual core realease i'm not sure i want to sell or keep my baby.

IF they release just dual core G5 at 2.5ghz , how well do you guy think is its cache going to help it ?

And if they release dual dual core at 2.5ghz what apps will take advatage of all these CPUs ? I mean there are hardly any apps that use Dual CPU now , what app will be able to take advatage of 4 cores ?

I use my Mac mostly for learning Photoshop / GoLive / Dreamweaver but i'm getting my feet wet with cool LiveType and Motion.

Do you think its worth the hassle ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    i do not know that much about the dual-core stuff but it seems to me that if you invest in literaly the top-of-the-line system, you will still run the programs and it will be incredibly fast! I know i played with them at the apple store using the similar computer (it was powering the 30" so it must have been) and the programs were as fast as i could imagine

Now, it you like throwing money around then maybe switch later. Or, wait for the x86 ones and see.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    yeah dude i would totally wait to see what the intel offerings are. your liquid cool dual 2.7ghz is awesome, don't let anyone tell you otherwise
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by wally007

And if they release dual dual core at 2.5ghz what apps will take advatage of all these CPUs ? I mean there are hardly any apps that use Dual CPU now , what app will be able to take advatage of 4 cores ?

I use my Mac mostly for learning Photoshop / GoLive / Dreamweaver but i'm getting my feet wet with cool LiveType and Motion.

All apps benefit to some degree from a multi-processor architecture. Even if you are using a single threaded app, the OS could run on the other processor to give you some speed.

But to see the true potential of a dual-dual powermac, you will need to be a heavy-duty user with multiple apps rendering or calculating something simultaneously.

Since you are using words like "learning Photoshop...", I think your current machine is more than enough to keep you going.