I will never buy any IBM hard drive again!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
f***!

This is the 7th fatal HD failure in the last 12 months.

This also is my third replacement HD....

Now I lost everything (my works, MP3, etc)....it will take me at least 2 hours to dig into my CD and do the backup back to the other hard drive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I just had my 30 GB Deskstar 75GXP go...that was part of the motivation to by a new computer. It had a bad sector and kept going *rassspppp rassspppp rasssppppp* and locking up my machine.

It seems to be a problem inherent in that line of HDDs.

I've had HDD failures from Quantum, Maxtor and IBM...so I can't say I'll never buy from IBM again, but apparently this problem with the 75GXP line was so big, it stemmed lawsuits...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    How can I contact IBM?

In the last two times when the drive failed I just took the drive back to the place I bought it from....but now they are out of business
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Western Digitals, although not the best for performance, seem to most reliable. I have a 160MB Western Digital drive from 1992 that still functions perfectly. I also have 6GB and 20GB Western Digital drives that have never failed.

Though usually more expensive than competitors, Seagates are also very reliable.

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 16
    with so many failed drives, i wonder if you have some other hardware problem that could be causing premature failure...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    You get a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) from IBM. If you have a credit card, you can get an advanced replacement so you can back-up files and stuff.

<a href="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/sources/tsc.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/sources/tsc.htm</a>;
  • Reply 6 of 16
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    75GXPs, right?

Be sure to replace it with a 60GXP. The 75s had serious reliability problems.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I'm crossing my fingers, and running regular backups, because my Powermac has two 75GXP drives in it. When those drives came out, everybody was raving about how great & fast & cheap they were. Now I figure it's just a matter of time until I have to pull them out and replace them.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Yes the failed drive is GXP 75......It wasn't cheap. I bought it because I read the review about their performance

But the other Hard Disk in my G4 is the Seagate and it has never failed on me. I think I should get another seagate instead next time

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 16
    My 30 Gig 75 GXP started making a high pitch whine. Drive is barely a year old, and was what I "upgraded" to as a BTO. What sucks is that becuase I got the drive through Apple as an OEM part, it isn't covered by IBM's 3 year warranty--just the one year Apple warranty which expired last Novemeber. I ordered a 60 gig Seagate Baracuda to replace it, which should be arriving sometime next week. Just hope my HD holds out 'til then...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Sizzlechest...

Consider doing your upgrade really soon... Why wait for disaster.

Two members of my family have had hard drive failures in the past few months... They lost irreplaceable data and had the hassle of trying to find a lot of disks to put everything back in, not to mention their email information, etc.

If you can afford a 80G or even a tenty, get it and put one of your full hard drives (Preferably one with a system folder) on it. Even if you don't keep the new one in the system, you can always refer to it by plugging it in.

I keep an old 6G lying around with my latest systems on it, just in case. Most new information and recently downloaded files go on a cd once a month...

Project files get updated whenever there is a major change, or once a week.

Hey, a dollar a week is worth the peace of mind.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    sizzle, i'd listen to him... you run/do business on it? audio right? why chance it
  • Reply 12 of 16
    As I am writing this on another machine, I'm transferring all my data from a 75GXP/30GB to a new 40GB mirrored RAID (Maxtor drives on a PCI ATA card with Softraid). The 75GXP started to make strange "crrr crrr crrr pause" sounds, Retrospect lost some files during backups, testing with Norton6/Techtool/FWB failed althoug FirstAid detected nothing.

Check out this <a href="http://www.tech-report.com/news_reply.x/2799/"; target="_blank">link</a>and <a href="http://www.tech-report.com/news_reply.x/3035/6/"; target="_blank">this</a>one for some rather frightening reports...
  • Reply 13 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by L'ermite:

<strong>As I am writing this on another machine, I'm transferring all my data from a 75GXP/30GB to a new 40GB mirrored RAID (Maxtor drives on a PCI ATA card with Softraid). The 75GXP started to make strange "crrr crrr crrr pause" sounds, Retrospect lost some files during backups, testing with Norton6/Techtool/FWB failed althoug FirstAid detected nothing.

Check out this <a href="http://www.tech-report.com/news_reply.x/2799/"; target="_blank">link</a>and <a href="http://www.tech-report.com/news_reply.x/3035/6/"; target="_blank">this</a>one for some rather frightening reports...</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is frightening : i have a IBM DTLA 307 045 of 45 GByte, luckyly i have also a maxtor HD on my G4.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I just had my 30 GB Deskstar 75GXP go...that was part of the motivation to by a new computer. It had a bad sector and kept going *rassspppp rassspppp rasssppppp* and locking up my machine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've had the exact same problem with my 60GB IBM HD that came with my G4 ever since I got it. Annoying as f*ck.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    My new Dual GHz came with a Seagate...first Seagate I have ever owned. I also have a 20GB Maxtor back-up. I have always liked Maxtor.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I like Maxtor because its customer service and RMA process is so good. It literally takes 5 minutes to get an RMA from them...and 5 minutes on the phone with any company is decent.

However, reliability is not a Maxtor strong point. I've had a 40 GB Maxtor in my iMac for 2 years...I''m surprised its lasted that long...it was a replacement drive for one that was busted.

The Seagate in the new G4 is quiet, isn't it. If this drive ends up lasting me a long time, I may just start buying Seagate HDDs in the future.