1 gig astorage for all .Mac users

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Nobody else has noticed the big sign saying 1 gig of storage for .Mac accounts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I only have two months left of my .Mac account, and I really had no intention of extending it. But now that there is 1 gig, I may change my mind.... May.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    And Backup 3 is released.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I'm very pleased that Apple have increased the storeage to 1GB. I don't have a need for that much yet, but it's good to see it coming in line with other systems e.g. gmail. People will still argue that you can get the same storage for free, but you don't get the iLife integration you get with .Mac . Also, people will say you can create your own web pages using other systems, but what if you don't know how to, or don't have the time/ability/inclination to learn how to do it? Only each individual can answer if paying for .Mac is worth it - for me, it is .

Edit: I haven't had a chance to try Backup 3 yet, as I'm at work. Has anyone had a look yet?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitaldave

Edit: I haven't had a chance to try Backup 3 yet, as I'm at work. Has anyone had a look yet?

Yeah looking at it now, very interesting. Firstly it allows different backup plans. and for each plan you can choose multiple places to make that backup ie flash drive and .Mac. You can set each location within each plan to different times or choose to set them manually. When you first use it, it asks to migrate your old plans from Backup 2, and these you can edit to allow for the multiple location options.

It has the old quick picks, plus the option to include folders/files and also a spotlight tab, which I haven't used, but I'm guessing allows automatic backing up of files which have "Work" in the comments etc.

At the moment I have all my most important documents, settings and mail on a plan which comes to 268MB, a bit too much for my 256MB flash drive but now I can back it up to .Mac without worry as I have ample space for it. It's taken about 30mins to backup the 268MB to my iDisk in total.

Also I'd like to add that I use .Mac as storage for my custom made website, and it's nice to see the bandwidth has also gone up from 3GB/month to 10. Now I can encode my iMovies in H.264 and put them up for friends to see.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Actually I tell a lie, I presumed 30mins based on the fact that I was very close on the uploading bar, however it has now filled up and it still says uploading... This my second time, and I will leave it longer to complete, to see if it just needs time, or whether it really has stalled.

Has anyone done a full backup to .Mac with Backup 3 yet?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Yeah I've successfully backed up to .mac and it did seem to stall but I just came back a bit later and it was done so that is all of no help

As an aside you have to go into account prefs and actually update your storage settings to take advantage of the changes it seems.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Yeah I've successfully backed up to .mac and it did seem to stall but I just came back a bit later and it was done so that is all of no help

As an aside you have to go into account prefs and actually update your storage settings to take advantage of the changes it seems.

Ah, well I'll go away and leave it running. I thought uploading 270 odd megs would take longer than 30mins...

Yeah I found that I had to change the storage settings for it to change.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

And Backup 3 is released.

I could not see where it was downloadable yet.

Edit: Scratch that. I was looking in the wrong section. Downloading now.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I just wish that BackUp 3.0 was unlinked from .mac, or it was bundle with Apple Remote Desktop or with iWork.

I think the new backup is a way cooler app than backup 2. The spotlight and the quickPick features are really cool.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by cesar

I just wish that BackUp 3.0 was unlinked from .mac, or it was bundle with Apple Remote Desktop or with iWork.

I think the new backup is a way cooler app than backup 2. The spotlight and the quickPick features are really cool.

Backup 2 had quickpicks, but 3 does have more. In a way I'd like it if it were a stand alone app for backuping to CDs & hard drives, but then again it's a bonus when yo do need to get .Mac.

Eventually the backup completed about 15mins after the bar looked full, so if yours is stuck, just give it some time.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I'm sure I already had 1GB of storage on .mac (I used the purchase more storage option).

So if I'm only half way through my subscription, I hope I'm not paying more than everybody else...?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I was going to cancel my .Mac subscription, but now I'm renewing. 1 gig is much better, and Backup 3.0 actually works, where I couldn't ever get Backup 2 to work. First backup took 20 minutes, but second backup only took 3 minutes. i guess it actually looks for changes.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Backup 3.0 popped up last night at my normal backup time of 10:30 p.m. waiting for me to set it up for the first time. I had forgotten to do that after doing the install yesterday.

I like the new interface and the speed of the backup seems to be a little more swift.

I have not tried any backups to CD or DVD yet, but I plan to do that this weekend.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

Nobody else has noticed the big sign saying 1 gig of storage for .Mac accounts?

Here is my two cents.....actually, more like 3 bucks.

I had a .mac account for 3 years and then dropped it last year because of these main points.

1) We all know that backup should be included in the OS and not and extra cost. Windows has backup built into the OS and it does everything this backup 3 does.

2) Snapfish, Ofoto (now HP ofoto), Flickr and all the other successful photo companies wouldn't be so successful if they didn't realize that people want to share AND buy photo's in one app. Homepage offers an a great design to your pictures, they need to enable a shopping engine in it to sell photos too. As it was, I uploaded family photo's to Homepage and then had to repeat the whole process to snapfish in order to send them to my parents so they could buy them. Apple already has a working relationship with kodak for iphoto purchases. This would also boost Apple's ability to passively market to non mac users who visit homepages to view and buy pictures.

3) Virex was ok, they should of kept it in the offering.

4) Email storage was a joke at 100MB. I am glad to see it at a 1 Gig even though a small market actually needs that much space. Luckly price/mb is so low they can easily afford to be competitive. 100% of all ISP give you at least 5 email addresses so why pay for another one.

5) Homepage templates were updated 1/year. They needed to add at least 1 new template per week or month. They are in the design business, keep pumping out the good designs for those of us who need them.

6) .Mac slideshow was cool, but now slideshows can be made with iphoto so why pay for that anymore.

7) I really like iReview and I was sad to see it go. i am sure it was a nightmare to manage, but a great idea for schools and libraries. I am sure they miss having a list of educational, teacher reviewed website, to surf.

8) I have one computer and didn't need sync.

That is about it. Most of the services, except for the cool homepage templates, are included in my ISP monthly offering. This new groups is really the only new item. It looks cool, but an assumption Apple missed is most people don't have 5 friends that have macs. Even if we did, we wouldn't be sharing calendars and doing message boards with them?? how odd is it that Apple would assume the 100k .Mac subscribers would all be talking with each other? Open it up and Apple may have a great product on their hands, till then, I bet only 5k of the subscribers use it.

In the end, Apple needs to open the .mac product up to all users, even PC users and use the services to promote Apple as a software company. "Like our .Mac service, get a Mac computer and get all the integration benefits too.

I am sorry to say that there still isn't a compelling purchase here for me. However, i will contine to hold out hope something better comes along from their new .mac product manager.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

I'm sure I already had 1GB of storage on .mac (I used the purchase more storage option).

So if I'm only half way through my subscription, I hope I'm not paying more than everybody else...?

They should have unilaterally bumped you up to 2 GB--that's what mine says now. I don't think you have a choice to stay at 1 GB and get money back. The .mac memberships aren't very flexible. I'd like to change mine to a family pack, but I can't do it until my individual account expires.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Does anyone know if Backup 3.0 supports dual layer DVDs? I noticed last night when I was backing up my photo collection that it gave me an estimate for CDs or single layer DVDs. I could back everything up to one DVD if it could use dual layer DVDs.