To iMac or not to iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I am a soon to be PC convert, but here's the question:

Do I buy a CRT iMac for OS X? The old G3 700 mhz CRT iMacs will be coming way down by the time the G4 low end new iMac hits the shelves in March. I want to put a crap load of RAM in an older G3 model and I want to know if I should bother. I really want to convert, but I am a poor grad student and I really want to run OSX.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    What will you be using it for? A G4 would be better, but I've got a 500MHz iBook and it runs OS X very well.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    Im running MacOS X on a iBook 600 with 384mb ram, and it works just fine. Its runs slighly faster on a G4, thats sure.. but still.. Im sure a 700Mhz iMac with enough memory (384) is just fine to.

Im still gonna exchange my 256mb module for a 512mb one soon, when they drop in price a little bit more.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Crucial just dropped their price on a 512 MB SO-DIMM from $215 to $167.

I bought mine at $215 and it's sitting here waiting for my iMac to arrive. Word was that RAM was going to be going up again, so I grabbed it...

• Reply 4 of 5
    Ouch! I bought my extra memory too -- I also heard that memory was going to be going up in price.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote] murbot: I bought mine at $215 and it's sitting here waiting for my iMac to arrive. Word was that RAM was going to be going up again, so I grabbed it...

<hr></blockquote>

ouch...you're fooled...can't you give it back and buy a new one at the lower price?