Help With Eject Button

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
eject button isn't working at all-no new hardware or software installed since last time it worked. BUT the itunes eject button works. i took the keyboard out and washed it and let it dry for 2-3 days. No other buttons are having problems. early 2005 standard apple keyboard, mac os 10.3.9 emac 1.25 GHz. HELP PLEASE, THIS IS THE GENIUSE BAR, IS IT NOT?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    It may just be that the eject button has gone bad. If that's the only way you've ejected discs so far, you may have worn it out. Other ways to eject a disk:

1) Select its icon on the desktop and hit Apple+E

2) Control click (i.e. right click) on its icon and select 'Eject "NAME"'

3) Drag its icon to the trash. The trash will become an eject icon. Drop it there.

4) Click the eject button next to the disc's icon in the side bar of any Finder window.

5) Press the F12 key.

6) Hold down left mouse button when starting up computer.

For more information, go to your Mac Help and search for "eject".
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It may just be that the eject button has gone bad. If that's the only way you've ejected discs so far, you may have worn it out.

how is it possible that a mac keyboard button, will "go bad" after a mere 7 months? My problem is getting a disc IN not out. f12 doesn't do anything. and all the other options require a disc to be in, i don't have one in. Am i supposed to restart the computer and hold click the mouse every time i want to insert a disc? cause that is complete bull.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by i-am-an-elf

how is it possible that a mac keyboard button, will "go bad" after a mere 7 months? My problem is getting a disc IN not out. f12 doesn't do anything. and all the other options require a disc to be in, i don't have one in. Am i supposed to restart the computer and hold click the mouse every time i want to insert a disc? cause that is complete bull.

If it's that young.. why haven't you called Apple and had it warrenty replaced?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

If it's that young.. why haven't you called Apple and had it warrenty replaced?

i just don't want to have to result in that, mac exhanges seem to take an extremely long time, the only other keyboard is my original imac keyboard which is in new orleans :-( (no broken keys though!) If there is no easy fix, i guess i will call apple. by the way, a second key just broke, the - key on the numpad, 2 below the eject button. I HAVN"T SPILT anything on this keyboard and i now have 2 broken keys. i will end up exchanging it. when i have time
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by i-am-an-elf

i just don't want to have to result in that, mac exhanges seem to take an extremely long time, the only other keyboard is my original imac keyboard which is in new orleans :-( (no broken keys though!) If there is no easy fix, i guess i will call apple. by the way, a second key just broke, the - key on the numpad, 2 below the eject button. I HAVN"T SPILT anything on this keyboard and i now have 2 broken keys. i will end up exchanging it. when i have time

Well, here is another method:

navigate to this location:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras

And double-click the file named "Eject.menu".

That will install an icon in the menu bar near the right side that lets you open and close the optical drive tray.

To get rid of it, command-drag it off the menu bar and release.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Well, here is another method:

navigate to this location:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras

And double-click the file named "Eject.menu".

That will install an icon in the menu bar near the right side that lets you open and close the optical drive tray.

To get rid of it, command-drag it off the menu bar and release.

awsome, i like. i am still going to get a new keyboard, i've never, NEVER, had any problmes what so ever in the 7 years of owning a mac (other than when CompUSA dropped my original 333Mhz iMac, they only broke $475 worth of parts, but we called apple who called them who thretened to sue, saying that those parts would fail after only 4 years. that was fun) thanks for the help guys