Final curtain call for PowerPC-based PowerBooks?

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

This issue is the thread handling. Disk I/O hasn't been a problem except for Firewire 800 on the Powermac. I forget which, either the reads or writes are slow.

Care to provide links to prove that?
  • Reply 202 of 210
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The One to Rescue

Care to provide links to prove that?

Not at this time at night it's 2.33 a.m. here. I'll try to check tomorrow morning.

And the polite word is "show". I don't have to "prove" anything to you. As you think you know, you can always look it up yourself. You already provided my "proof" yourself.
  • Reply 203 of 210
    Quote:

Not at this time at night it's 2.33 a.m. here. I'll try to check tomorrow morning.

And the polite word is "show". I don't have to "prove" anything to you. As you think you know, you can always look it up yourself. You already provided my "proof" yourself.

Sorry, to me, "care to provide a link?" was more polite than "care to show me a link?" or "show me a link". I'm French by the way, sorry if I can't speak as perfectly as you folks.

Didn't mean to be rude anyway...
  • Reply 204 of 210
    english is a very rude and confusing language anyway for example using the word 'root' a lot when in australia is not a good idea...

seriously though, Rescue, i think melgross is suggesting to say instead of

"Care to provide links to prove that?"

to say

"Care to provide links to show that?"

you may also say

"Care to share some links to show that?" but actually this may be considered sarcastic to some english speakers, suggesting that a person has links that he doesn't feel he wants to share with others.

So,

we'll take it as you mean

"Care to provide links to show that thread locking is more of the issue rather than i/o handling with regards to mysql performance on osXserver ?"

• Reply 205 of 210
    "However, thread handling also seems to be an issue, and it seems to be a FreeBSD flaw : "Another popular free operating system, FreeBSD, has threading problems that are much worse. Versions prior to 5.2 provide rather weak native threading"

AFAIK mac os X has a "shared heritage" with FreeBSD, the details of which probably are a whole 'nother thread. this would suggest that mac os x may have "inherited" threading problems.... so i guess what we all would be looking for is some document, if anyone has it around, that shows that threading is more of the bottleneck than i/o handling...

anyway at this stage since i am in over my head with this OS-level unix variant geekspeak, i politely make my exit... *runs to the nearest door*

*peeks through the window*

WHERE are the bloody new powerbooks ???!!
  • Reply 206 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

english is a very rude and confusing language anyway for example using the word 'root' a lot when in australia is not a good idea...

seriously though, Rescue, i think melgross is suggesting to say instead of

"Care to provide links to prove that?"

to say

"Care to provide links to show that?"

you may also say

"Care to share some links to show that?" but actually this may be considered sarcastic to some english speakers, suggesting that a person has links that he doesn't feel he wants to share with others.

So,

we'll take it as you mean

"Care to provide links to show that thread locking is more of the issue rather than i/o handling with regards to mysql performance on osXserver ?"

Hey thanks a lot for the private English lesson I'll be careful next time!

Actually, the question is : Someone care to provide links to show how thread management is done in Mac OS X and how it can ruin the speed of some apps like MySQL Server?

Is it ok this time?
  • Reply 207 of 210
    yeah that sounds alright ... in any case you should be careful about learning english from me, because i speak a mixture of californian/ australian/ british/ malaysian/ singaporean english.

hey i found this link about this guy talking about freeBSD threading

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000203.html
  • Reply 208 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by The One to Rescue

Hey thanks a lot for the private English lesson I'll be careful next time!

Actually, the question is : Someone care to provide links to show how thread management is done in Mac OS X and how it can ruin the speed of some apps like MySQL Server?

Is it ok this time?

Perfect. By the way, I just got home. I'll see if I can find something different at some point today, but really, the links to the BSD sites does tell the tale.
  • Reply 209 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

yeah that sounds alright ... in any case you should be careful about learning english from me, because i speak a mixture of californian/ australian/ british/ malaysian/ singaporean english.

hey i found this link about this guy talking about freeBSD threading

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000203.html

I just read this link. It's pretty good. Of course OS X uses the Mach kernel. It can access two (and with 10.4, more) cpu's for this purpose. Otherwise it's a good description.
  • Reply 210 of 210
    Quote:

I just read this link. It's pretty good. Of course OS X uses the Mach kernel. It can access two (and with 10.4, more) cpu's for this purpose. Otherwise it's a good description.

But is Darwin's implementation of threading exactly the same as FreeBSD's implementation? It seems like the answer is yes, but I'm quite shocked that threads from the same process can't be dispatched to several CPUs on SMP configs.

According to this technote from Apple (http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2028.html), there is support for both Linux-like and FreeBSD-like thread scheduling in OS X, the Free-BSD like (cooperative) approach being here to ensure that Carbon apps will run well.

However, the document claims that the information it gives are "highly simplified"...

All links are very welcome guys (and I sure would mind Kickaha or Programmer taking part of this conversation).