Apple Expo yields .Mac update, but no new Macs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by theBlend

Hmmm... since the Back-to-School deal ends on the 24th (same day as Expo), perhaps the rumoured revisions will occur next week?

One can hope.

I think it'll occur whenever the upgraded hardware is ready to ship. Something probably went wrong somewhere (IBM?), hence the Keynote cancellation etc...

My opinion...
  • Reply 22 of 40
    1GB of storage?

At $99 per year?

Please. What kind of fools does Jobs think we are?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

1GB of storage?

At $99 per year?

I guess I'm that kind of fool. I just attempted to "get" the free upgrade... nothing happened.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    they keep trying, but still can't touch the space i get with free gmail (2.6GB)
  • Reply 25 of 40
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

1GB of storage?

At $99 per year?

Syncing by itself is worth the $99.

I hardly use the mail address, I don't use iDisk, I uploaded photos from iPhoto to my homepage once, but I sync between my two Macs every single day.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy Hopes

Having completed the very painful OS9 to 10 switch we were looking foreward to a nice long stable period in which we could enjoy all the (dare I use this word - as I'm not sure who did promise it ) promised benefits of OSX alongside the PPC stuff. The Intel announcement was a blow, not in terms of hardware (in the end I really don't care what's under the hood) but because it sounds like yet more upheaval and software upgrades. Ok the end result will probably justify things but I not sure I can afford to do it all again so soon!

If you buy Macs today they will last for a couple of years at least. You don't have to run out and get the Intel Macs and Intel versions of the software the same day they're released an dmost of your current software will likely run on Intel machines when you buy new hardware the next time.

If you need the power now, you buy now.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

If you buy Macs today they will last for a couple of years at least. You don't have to run out and get the Intel Macs and Intel versions of the software the same day they're released an dmost of your current software will likely run on Intel machines when you buy new hardware the next time.

If you need the power now, you buy now.

Unless you intend to do truely hi end work they will last a lot longer than "two years at least". four years is a more apt time.

Being that PPC Powermacs will continue to be available until end of 2007, that isn't a concern either.

Despite the lack of new hardware at the Paris fair, we should be seeing replacements coming fairly soon. At any rate, if it's a Powerbook, and someone needs a major PPC upgrade it isn't likely, but even the current ones are "good enough" for the time being. I suggest taking advantage of Apples large drop in pricing of refurbished ones if price is an issue. that will make it easier to get a new x86 model shortly after they do come out mid to late 2006.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

they keep trying, but still can't touch the space i get with free gmail (2.6GB)

You are comparing apples and oranges. All you can use the space on Gmail for is mail. You can setup 15 meg of space on .Mac and use the remaining space as backup for files. It isn't all about mail.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

You are comparing apples and oranges. All you can use the space on Gmail for is mail. You can setup 15 meg of space on .Mac and use the remaining space as backup for files. It isn't all about mail.

Yeah! I don't understand why people want to keep all of their mail on someone else's servers anyway. That never made sense to me. I always have the server delete my mails as soon as I download them. A GB, or even two, is no big deal on todays machines, even portables.

If someone is really afraid that their own machine might crash and they'll lose all their mail, remember that these online servers do the same thing. Security is also questionalbe.

You can always backup these vast mail files on a DVD-RW.

So I really don't understand the problem.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    One GB is still hella weak. I don't use syncing at all. I use iDisk and mail, and that's about it. And at that price, I should get at LEAST 4GB.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Unless you intend to do truely hi end work they will last a lot longer than "two years at least". four years is a more apt time.

Being that PPC Powermacs will continue to be available until end of 2007, that isn't a concern either.

Despite the lack of new hardware at the Paris fair, we should be seeing replacements coming fairly soon. At any rate, if it's a Powerbook, and someone needs a major PPC upgrade it isn't likely, but even the current ones are "good enough" for the time being. I suggest taking advantage of Apples large drop in pricing of refurbished ones if price is an issue. that will make it easier to get a new x86 model shortly after they do come out mid to late 2006.

Thanks for reminding me why I am a hardcore Mac addict...hey, my Performa 6400/200 is still working (9 years!) and I won't be struggling to upgrade my G5 "monster" because of the Intel switch.

A gigabyte of iDisk space -- not that big a deal. But I'll still test Apple's support and hunt for workarounds in here!
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Yeah! I don't understand why people want to keep all of their mail on someone else's servers anyway.

That's rather dismissive of you. The inability to think of a circumstance for yourself doesn't mean there isn't a reason for others.

I access my e-mail from at least 4 different computers, and that's just between home and work. It's even more when I travel. Deleting them from the server is not an option.

From pure storage, .mac is lacking. But the iDisk is integrated, and maintaining a backup of critical stuff is trivial. So is quickly setting up photo sharing. For me, the ease of use trumps storage statistics.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Yeah! I don't understand why people want to keep all of their mail on someone else's servers anyway. That never made sense to me. I always have the server delete my mails as soon as I download them. A GB, or even two, is no big deal on todays machines, even portables.

Cheap off site backup...and running a private mail server is a little tricky for anything short of an IT professiional, that is why accountants don't configre SMTP, pop3, imap, www interfaces... on the server and why tech dont do...whatever tasks an accountant would do...+++

And the off site backup is as accessable as any on sight backup, unless the net is down...but then what the hell good is email?

Put yourself in the path of a huracain, your office and home are leveled, you still want to attempt to do business, and communicate with family, but you don't have their email addresses or other info they emailed you -- that isnt a problem for gmail/.mac users.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by tchwojko

That's rather dismissive of you. The inability to think of a circumstance for yourself doesn't mean there isn't a reason for others.

I access my e-mail from at least 4 different computers, and that's just between home and work. It's even more when I travel. Deleting them from the server is not an option.

From pure storage, .mac is lacking. But the iDisk is integrated, and maintaining a backup of critical stuff is trivial. So is quickly setting up photo sharing. For me, the ease of use trumps storage statistics.

No. You misunderstood what I was saying. I said that "I don't understand". And then I gave reasons.

Now it's up to someone such as yourself to give reasons why it serves a purpose for you. Which you did.

That's called a "dialog". There was nothing dismissive about it. If I were being dismissive, as some people here often are about what others say, I would have said that" it's stupid to keep your mail on a server".
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Fair enough, sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Cheap off site backup...and running a private mail server is a little tricky for anything short of an IT professiional, that is why accountants don't configre SMTP, pop3, imap, www interfaces... on the server and why tech dont do...whatever tasks an accountant would do...+++

And the off site backup is as accessable as any on sight backup, unless the net is down...but then what the hell good is email?

Put yourself in the path of a huracain, your office and home are leveled, you still want to attempt to do business, and communicate with family, but you don't have their email addresses or other info they emailed you -- that isnt a problem for gmail/.mac users.

Ok, another good reason.

Let me make it a bit clearer as to what I was referring to.

Most people I've talked to about this DON'T do what you and tchwojko do. They simply never dump an e-mail. They keep them forever. No rhyme or reason. They just can't imagine getting rid of them. They have years of long forgotten e-mails. We all know pack rats. These are the people I'm talking about.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

Ok, another good reason.

Let me make it a bit clearer as to what I was referring to.

Most people I've talked to about this DON'T do what you and tchwojko do. They simply never dump an e-mail. They keep them forever. No rhyme or reason. They just can't imagine getting rid of them. They have years of long forgotten e-mails. We all know pack rats. These are the people I'm talking about.

i mean, i don't mean to get into an argument about email, but are you saying that MOST people don't access their email from multiple locations? Because that is where having massive amounts of storage off-site comes in handy. I can quickly grab any of dozens of 3 or 5 or 10mb word or PDF files from any computer, work, home, other work, different office, etc, not to mention checking out possible necessary details by searching my archives of messages (from anywhere). I'm not a betting man, but i'd say this is probably very common behavior.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

i mean, i don't mean to get into an argument about email, but are you saying that MOST people don't access their email from multiple locations? Because that is where having massive amounts of storage off-site comes in handy. I can quickly grab any of dozens of 3 or 5 or 10mb word or PDF files from any computer, work, home, other work, different office, etc, not to mention checking out possible necessary details by searching my archives of messages (from anywhere). I'm not a betting man, but i'd say this is probably very common behavior.

Yeah, according to surveys, most people don't do that. Even if they did, do they really need that e-mail from 8 years ago? Think about what most e-mails contain.

I'm not talking about business, where the law says that you MUST keep every e-mail.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

Yeah, according to surveys, most people don't do that. Even if they did, do they really need that e-mail from 8 years ago? Think about what most e-mails contain.

I'm not talking about business, where the law says that you MUST keep every e-mail.

fair enough, i'm not up on all the surveys. i guess we should bring back the 10mb of storage that was standard before gmail, since that is what people need?

people might not need an email from their aunt from 8 years ago, but the copy of a powerpoint presentation on so-and-so from one year ago sure might come in handy.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:

fair enough, i'm not up on all the surveys. i guess we should bring back the 10mb of storage that was standard before gmail, since that is what people need?

people might not need an email from their aunt from 8 years ago, but the copy of a powerpoint presentation on so-and-so from one year ago sure might come in handy.

I'm not saying that we should go back. That rarely happens in any case.

If I get mailed something as important as a Powerpoint presentation that I would want to keep, you can be sure that I'm going to back it up. If it's crucial to my business and has propriatory information about new products, a marketing plan, or financial data, I'm sure as hell going to get off those outside servers as soon as possible. You can bet your ass that! Actually, I would NEVER send or allow to be sent ANY crucial company data over e-mail. Unless it's from a node on an internal network. Even then it pays to be careful.

Why people forget that these HotMail, Yahoo, Google servers (and others) are broken into on an almost regular basis is beyond me! I would never trust any of them with important and private data.

You have e-mails with credit card numbers, passwords, serial numbers, names, addresses, purchase patterns, etc. in those e-mails. do you really want to trust those companies to protect that? If you read the fine print you will realize that they don't say that they have to. They take no responsibility if your credit card number is stolen and used, or if someone breaks into your bank account.

But if it's simply easier to keep all of that stuff there, by all means do so. But if someone steals your identity from the info they gleaned from it, don't let it bother you. It was worth not making CD or DVD backups instead.