What are the best ear-bud headphones under $50?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I?m going to Europe for about a year and (of course) taking my iPod with me. The problem is, Apple?s ear-buds that come with the iPod get pretty uncomfortable after about an hour. I?m looking for a pair of ear-buds headphones that are good quality, provide good sound, are comfortable, but aren?t too expensive.

The main two that I have been looking at are the Koss "Plug" portable headphones and the Sony Fontopia headphones. Does anyone have any other suggestions or are one of these good?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The Apple In-ears are decent, that's what I use.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Apple earphones always break.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Not these...I've had mine a year and they're fine.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    One guy at work got the Sony Fontopia's for his iPod. After seeing them, two other guys have gotten them. They all love them, because they go directly into the ear canal and do not flip out like the Apple earbuds tend to do. I am thinking about getting some myself.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    sony ex-71
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

One guy at work got the Sony Fontopia's for his iPod. After seeing them, two other guys have gotten them. They all love them, because they go directly into the ear canal and do not flip out like the Apple earbuds tend to do. I am thinking about getting some myself.

the apple ones dont flip out if you wear them the right way. i swear nobody i see knows how to wear them. i'm being completely serious.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Another user of the Apple In-Ear ones here.

My pair broke (one earbud stopped working) and so I emailed Apple and they sent another pair out.

They've changed the little silicone bits, so now I have six different pairs. The old design fit very nicely, but the new designed silicone bits are more rounded and don't fit as well. Then again I have quite narrow ear canals compared to most.

The sound is quite good and they block out the outside world quite well. The plastic case they come in is fairly useless, I prefer the faux-leather pouch I got with my old Sony ones.

Sony ones sound better from my experience, but they are more expensive. Also the Sony ones don't come in 'mug-me-now' white.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    my favorites after a lot of trial and wasted money are the Sony MDR-EX71SL/WK. White, in ear with 3 sizes. Sound is terrific and so very comfortable. $29.95 at Amazon with free shipping!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by keot

Sony ones sound better from my experience, but they are more expensive. Also the Sony ones don't come in 'mug-me-now' white.

I have Sony 71 headphones in 'mug me now' white. Best sounding headphones I have found - they are not perfect, but for under $50 they do me just fine - very little background noise, good sound and comfortable too.