Another .mac update?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Check out http://www.apple.com/dotmac/

Why does that intro show different protocols like ftp, ssh, and why does it show php?

Are they gonna update it again and actually offer a real hosting platform? God I hope so...but they have to do it in the next 22 days =)

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Yeah- that is pretty strange- if they did that it would seriously rock.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Groups are new aren't they??
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I would love it if .mac's homepage was upgraded to a real hosting package, however; I just think that when they said php in the intro, they ment something along the lines of the web pages that homepage creates already? *shrugs*
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jayhigh

I would love it if .mac's homepage was upgraded to a real hosting package, however; I just think that when they said php in the intro, they ment something along the lines of the web pages that homepage creates already? *shrugs*

What are you talking about? You can create your own web page using whatever program you like and host it at .mac.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

What are you talking about? You can create your own web page using whatever program you like and host it at .mac.

Yes but when he means "real" hosting, he's talking about php,mysql,ssh,ftp access, etc etc...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jay Contonio

Yes but when he means "real" hosting, he's talking about php,mysql,ssh,ftp access, etc etc...

You have a Mac, and probably a high speed internet connection. Get a static IP and register a domain name so you can host your own website, FTP server, etc.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

You have a Mac, and probably a high speed internet connection. Get a static IP and register a domain name so you can host your own website, FTP server, etc.

Yeah I know, but I was just saying that it definitely would be cool of .mac had ftp, php and stuff seeing that I pay for that (current .mac service) already.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jay Contonio

Check out http://www.apple.com/dotmac/

Why does that intro show different protocols like ftp, ssh, and why does it show php?

Because that stuff is confusing. The point of the ad is that with .Mac you don't have to know what all those things mean. It's simple. It just works.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Because that stuff is confusing. The point of the ad is that with .Mac you don't have to know what all those things mean. It's simple. It just works.

php works?