Re- igniting the flame o' past glories

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Noo - I have been around the computing block for mony, mony, mony years. Lot o' them. And this being so I feel it is time tae redress some o' the inequities that have arisen in these later days o' grace.

I shall explian... What first made computing groovy was its accessibility. When I was a younger laddie programming in BASIC and Assembler was where it was at. The insidious snake's heid o' polished professionalism, C++ and JAVA hadnae peeked ower oor shiny horizon and shook its forked tongue at us. Everybody contributed and shared and wrote noughts & crosses (tic tac toe?) programmes and the world was fine and green.

What have we got noo? We hae decended intae a morass o'megabytes, teraflops and version this version that. The golden days hae fragmented intae wee sharp slivers on which we fear tae tread. Insteed o'the Beech Boys and the Beatles and Peace & Love we hae Rap Music and Micrasoft. Never mind a' the bells and whistles o' docks and icons and baloney - whit we need is the excitement o' those early pioneers like Wild Bill Hicock and John Wayne and Soldering Irons and Breadboards. I say throw oot the polish - gie us the rough edges again when we a' had a chance tae push back the boundaries and every day brought new adventures in less than 32K.

Whit dae ye say brithers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I say your little "post in ae' Scottish accent te sound a wee bit cooler" is getting old.

On topic: Do you suggest that we not advance our technology because it's making everything more complicated or less cooperative?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Linux
  • Reply 4 of 10
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I say CosmoNut's general crabbiness is getting a little old. Pierce him with your cruel pitchfork, Sir Mac!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Cosmonut, edit your post and humble yourself to MacO'.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    That's a bannable offense, I think.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If a scottish accent is funny to you,

I think I'll come up with a funny scheme too.

I'm thinking of rhyming each post that I write.

Though thinking of rhyme takes much of my might.

But hey, it's a gimmick, and that's what you want.

I could even write it in a really BIG FONT.

So however cool Mac O's "accent" might be,

the gimmick's just a little old to me.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Lifetime ban.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Me thinks Mac o' is bezoomy and hitting the drencrom too hard. I guff my guttiwuts real horrorshow reading his post's...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Rough edges are where most things start. People like smooth easy operations or something easy on the eyes. That first spark of an original idea does not come to every one. Back in 75 we were given an assignment to write a better program for ATM's. Most came up with better ideas and options for what was currently out there. No one thought to make the display better or add color ( well we did have green or white text ). There are still lots of rough edges out there in the computer world. You just need to define the one that grates on you the most and go from there.

reg