Dual-layer drives finally useful...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Like the single layer case, dual-layer DVD drives have been well ahead of affordable media. As a result, I've not given much thought to the DL drives in Macs. Now, though, those dual-layer superdrives might finally be useful.

Formerly $7 apiece, Best Buy is now selling 2.4x DL +R media for $2 each.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1110264240277

Now if those superdrives were only 16x.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Thanks for the heads-up, I've been wondering about this. I wish Apple would sell their own. If I recall correctly, Apple started selling DVDs when they first started selling a DVD burner in their PowerMacs, and for a while were the cheapest available.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    They've always been useful, a lower price is welcomed though.

I've been using dual-layer discs for the last 6 months.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Hollywood better get the next-gen DVD format out soon. Cheap DL discs will make DVD copying skyrocket.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    plasmaplasma Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Hollywood better get the next-gen DVD format out soon. Cheap DL discs will make DVD copying skyrocket.

HD DVD and Blu-ray are gonna battle it out with hollywood but both should hit the market soon. I beleive Japan already has them.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by plasma

HD DVD and Blu-ray are gonna battle it out with hollywood but both should hit the market soon. I beleive Japan already has them.

I hope something gets settled soon. I believe the target is 20-50 GB/disk? With DV (nevermind HD), there is a huge need for this. It comes down to swapable hard drives, tape drives, or ... whatever new HD DVD becomes available. I have 300 GB of video footage for one project, and right now that means 80 single-sided DVDs.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by bjewett

I hope something gets settled soon. I believe the target is 20-50 GB/disk? With DV (nevermind HD), there is a huge need for this. It comes down to swapable hard drives, tape drives, or ... whatever new HD DVD becomes available. I have 300 GB of video footage for one project, and right now that means 80 single-sided DVDs.

I dont think it will get settled soon. There will probably be 2 formats for quite sometimes. Blu-ray had the upper hand since it is backed by Sony and has already been out for a year but recently Microsoft and Intell decided to promote HD DVD which is backed by Toshiba.

Blu-ray single layer 25GB double layer 50GB