Motorola CEO: "Screw the nano"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Looks like Ed Zander doesn't appreciate all the attention the nano is taking away from the ROKR...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...eoscrewthenano

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Looks like Ed Zander doesn't appreciate all the attention the nano is taking away from the ROKR...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...eoscrewthenano

This guy has no clue - which is why his products do not have the appeal of Apple products. Even the Razr does not compare - it is cheap when you look close, and the software sucks. Sony-Ericsson makes much better stuff than Motorola, I think that Apple made a big mistake when they picked the company to partner with.

Or maybe it was not a mistake? Maybe they wanted an iPod phone that failed (as a pollitical move? Maybe they wanted to reserve a spot in the cell phone music market, but could not do it themselves yet).
  • Reply 2 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think he's upset that:

a) His phone largely didn't get raving reviews.

b) The nano came out of the event with top billing.

c) Apple dropped Mot chips like a bad habit to switch to Intel.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I think he's upset that:

a) His phone largely didn't get raving reviews.

b) The nano came out of the event with top billing.

c) Apple dropped Mot chips like a bad habit to switch to Intel.

I doubt the CEO of Motorola has much freescale stock, and is probably more upset about the fact that his company sucks.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The sucess of Nokia has nothing to do with the hazard. Nokia is perhaps one of the company who invest the more in R&D, and especially even in the fundamental field.

If my memory is correct they have more than 20 000 scientists working in their labs.

That's why Nokia is one of the most innovative company of the world. I wonder how Motorola compare on this one ?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Don't forget, Apple had the nano launch planned over a year ahead of time. Motorola was LATE getting their phone out, and it happen to be around the same time the nano launched --- tough cookies.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The storage capacity of the ROKR is extremely disappointing.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I think that almost everything about the ROKR was extremely disappointing.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    While I haven't used a working ROKR first-hand, the interface lag on iTunes is what I find disappointing. I guess the interface in general is pokey, as I find my V551 to be too slow too.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I am extremely surprised that this is the best Apple can come up with. I realize it is a Motorola phone, but Apple obviously had a lot to say about it since they allowed integration with iTunes and advertise it so heavily.

Very disappointing.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    You've missed the point Grove.

Jobs conned Motorola into teaching his team how to design for the cellular market and to build a relationship with a major carrier and component suppliers.

Jobs knows his market wants a smartphone, and the Moto phone is not it.

In 18 months or so, I predict we'll have our long-awaited iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pubguy

Don't forget, Apple had the nano launch planned over a year ahead of time.

This is unlikely given that from inception to announcement was only 9 months.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

This is unlikely given that from inception to announcement was only 9 months.

It had been on their minds much longer than 9 months. This MacCentral article quotes Steve about why the date to release the nano was chosen and how far in advance they'd planned it:

Quote:

?We launched the iPod nano two weeks ago rather than at the Apple Expo because in the run-up to Christmas every week counts,? said Jobs. ?The launch had been planned for over a year.?

• Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

In 18 months or so, I predict we'll have our long-awaited iPhone.

What the hell can take so long?

Apple has had to have this idea in their heads ever since the first iPod launched 4 damned years ago.

Give us the internals of a 4GB nano in a mini-size case with number buttons on the front. No useless camera. Charge $600 if you need to, just get it out the damned door. DO IT ALREADY!

Oh, and use Cingular please.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Originally posted by Frank777

....Jobs conned Motorola into teaching his team how to design for the cellular market and to build a relationship with a major carrier and component suppliers.... Jobs knows his market wants a smartphone, and the Moto phone is not it.

Hmmm... possible, Moto and ol? Ed was a pawn in Stevie J?s machiavellian plans for iWorld domination...