iBook shuts down when jostled

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My wife's iBook (G4 800 12") periodically shuts down when jostled even lightly, or loses power while asleep and won't turn on again. Sometimes it'll come back on with the power button, with the date and time reset; sometimes it won't - a press of the power button gets a barely-perceptible flicker from the screen but nothing else. Then we try again later and it comes on.

Right now, it's sitting on my desk. I put it to sleep and went back to use it an hour later, and the sleep light is out and it won't turn back on.

I've searched this forum (and the one at apple.com) and I've tried resetting the PMU. No dice.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Battery not locked in all the way?

If that's not it, I'd be calling Apple and scheduling a repair. Be sure to back up everything before sending it off.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Battery's in tight. Sigh. Repair call it is, which means I must commence the kicking of my own ass for having no Applecare. Don't know what I could possibly have been thinking.

I saw on a forum somewhere that an iBook with a similar problem needed a new logic board - anyone have any idea what that'll cost, with no warranty?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ouch. Um, about the cost of a new iBook? \

Sounds like the power connectors are loose. Since you're in NYC, maybe you can take it to one of the local repair shops that deal with Apple products. They may be able to just fix the broken solder (assuming it's what I think it is), for much less. Since it's out of warrantee, it's not like it's going to make your legal position with Apple any worse. Worth a shot, at least. Certainly going to be cheaper than a full logic board replacement, which is very likely what Apple will recommend - they prefer to swap out parts than fix them. In the long run, for large numbers of repairs, it's more efficient, but for individual cases like yours, it might be better to try for the fix.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Ha - yeah, actually as soon as I read your first reply I went to the Apple refurb page, and was already thinking "Hmmm, $699 for the 1.2..."

I'll check out TekServe, my friends have had good luck with them - thanks for the suggestion.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by rjtdirect

My wife's iBook (G4 800 12") periodically shuts down when jostled even lightly, or loses power while asleep and won't turn on again. Sometimes it'll come back on with the power button, with the date and time reset; sometimes it won't - a press of the power button gets a barely-perceptible flicker from the screen but nothing else. Then we try again later and it comes on.

Right now, it's sitting on my desk. I put it to sleep and went back to use it an hour later, and the sleep light is out and it won't turn back on.

I've searched this forum (and the one at apple.com) and I've tried resetting the PMU. No dice.

Any thoughts?

see if the battery isnt locked.. if not i would say call apple