Timeframe for next PowerMac?

Comments

• Reply 181 of 294
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

Could = possibility "not affirmation"

So, it "could" happen next week, next month, next year, etc.

Yes. it's a "safe" way for TS to predict something. So only time will tell if they are correct or wrong. You can't just say they are wrong "yet".

Ah, but they mentioned a specific 'date' not a time frame. They didn't say this year, they mentioned a scheduled event, that's different. Not knocking them, but that's an incorrect prediction in my book.

Anyways, dead horse, moving on, October then? Are we expecting the dual core or just a wimpy speed bump? I've been out of the loop a little lately.
  • Reply 182 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

\\Anyways, dead horse, moving on, October then?

Looks like it, unless something surprising happens, say, tomorrow.

Quote:

Are we expecting the dual core or just a wimpy speed bump? I've been out of the loop a little lately.

The hope is for dual-core. I'm hoping for a bump and PCI-Express, and would be delighted with dual core. Expectations are falling with time, however (sounds like politics).
  • Reply 183 of 294
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bjewett

Looks like it, unless something surprising happens, say, tomorrow.

The hope is for dual-core. I'm hoping for a bump and PCI-Express, and would be delighted with dual core. Expectations are falling with time, however (sounds like politics).

tick, tick, tick, tock, tock, tock, waiting for the "update" on the Apple Store page.... \
  • Reply 184 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

tick, tick, tick, tock, tock, tock, waiting for the "update" on the Apple Store page.... \

The Amazon $200 rebate on PowerMac's ends tomorrow the 27th, but most other retailer deals end the first week of October. I'm still sticking with an early-October expectation.
  • Reply 185 of 294
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yasashiku

The Amazon $200 rebate on PowerMac's ends tomorrow the 27th, but most other retailer deals end the first week of October. I'm still sticking with an early-October expectation.

The Student Union deal (£100 off ipod with mac) ends first week of October. I am stuck as to whether to buy then, or to wait for updates.

This is agonising. Last time I waited and it paid off (Powerbook 12" rev B). Do I do the same now? If I get the ipod it will go to my brother... I can't afford to get him one without the money off though.

Amorya
  • Reply 186 of 294
    So, here's a thought. If there is an update coming for the PM's and it happens to be dual-core... won't that make it like a Rev. A? All new processor and such? Wouldn't the safe bet be to grab an existing top-of-the-line dual 2.7? Just a thought running through my head.

ME
  • Reply 187 of 294
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    it's true, but at least it's a PPC processor. I think Intel will introduce way more challenges and applications running under Rosetta could be very buggy. so, it'll be interesting to see what will happen.

I think dual core PPC is safer than the Intel move. so I'll jump on Intel for rev.b.
  • Reply 188 of 294
    Well I think its a bit each way. If the upgrade is small, just replacing single G5's with dual core ones, then the chances are good that there will be less issues. But if we get a real upgrade, the kind the Powermac really needs (Dual-core, PCIe graphics, SATAII, etc) then you are looking at a new motherboard entirely and (probably) more chance of issues.
  • Reply 189 of 294
    ok, i will wait if apple comes out with new pm's today.

otherwise i'll buy the dual 2.3 or 2.0 and wait for the 2nd rev. of the intels.
  • Reply 190 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by schrumpl

ok, i will wait if apple comes out with new pm's today.

otherwise i'll buy the dual 2.3 or 2.0 and wait for the 2nd rev. of the intels.

Go for it!

I got my new dual 2.0 last friday. It is by far the fasted computer I have ever owned. Blows my iMac G5 out of the water (its not even funny). The bandwidth on this machine is phenomonal (concurrent dvd burning, hard disk formatting, multiple downloads via safari and acquistion while watching a DVD movie off the hard drive). I am exstatic with the performance.

If it fills your need, you shouldn't wait. It will consume you and you will end up bitter and unfulfilled like many of the other posters in this forum...

• Reply 191 of 294
    bought it already...

i can't and doesn't want to wait any longer. so i bought the 2x2.0 with 2.5gb ram and hope to have enough until 2nd rev. of the mactels.

and i have to agree - its fast, it blows my pb1.25 completely away

yes, i'm happy again
  • Reply 192 of 294
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pc-to-mac

So, here's a thought. If there is an update coming for the PM's and it happens to be dual-core... won't that make it like a Rev. A? All new processor and such? Wouldn't the safe bet be to grab an existing top-of-the-line dual 2.7? Just a thought running through my head.

ME

Well, that means you'd be buying the 2.7 at todays prices because it is the top model. After the update, the 2.7 will come down in price. So, it depends on wanting top tier for high price that's about to come down in price and no longer be top of line, or taking your chances that Apple knows what it's doing.
  • Reply 193 of 294
    when we are this close to a rumored/pending update.... you should wait! unless you rely on your machine for a living and it dies!!! they will all bump down in rank and in price or be END OF LIFED... and the gains from an MP "should" spank the old machines....so no matter how fast you think a 2.0 is.... IT WILL BE SLOOOOOOWWWWW....

2cents
  • Reply 194 of 294
    Remember, the 2.7's are the ones so heavily overclocked they still use radiator liquid cooling, unlike the 2.0 and 2.3. I suggest reading the Apple G5 forum, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're discontinued entirely (like the 2.5's that used liquid).

It's true that, in the past, previous models are discounted an average of $500 when new ones are released. So, if you can wait a week or two, it might pay off.
  • Reply 195 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by CheapFrag

If it fills your need, you shouldn't wait. It will consume you and you will end up bitter and unfulfilled like many of the other posters in this forum...

I remain bitter, unfulfilled and ... still waiting for the rumored PM update. I really want PCI Express for future use, and any other benefits (dual-core??) that might come our way.

I also agree with the comment on the 2.7 - I'd prefer a slightly slower PM that isn't liquid-cooled. If I were buying today, it would be the 2.3.
  • Reply 196 of 294
    Quote:

Remember, the 2.7's are the ones so heavily overclocked they still use radiator liquid cooling, unlike the 2.0 and 2.3. I suggest reading the Apple G5 forum, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're discontinued entirely (like the 2.5's that used liquid).

It's true that, in the past, previous models are discounted an average of $500 when new ones are released. So, if you can wait a week or two, it might pay off.

They are not overclocked. IBM rates the CPUs it produces for a specific speed rating and that is what Apple uses. Overclocking is usually only done by the consumer. The reason for the liquid cooling is to keep the noise level low. It should be completely possible to cool the G5 by air but the noise from the fans would be a major draw back to some people.
  • Reply 197 of 294
    The 970FX max-rated clock has always been 2.2ghz. Anything above that is over-clocked by Apple, requiring the large heat sinks and liquid cooling we're all familiar with.

http://www-306.ibm.com/chips/techlib...56D9C006B90A5/
  • Reply 198 of 294
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

The 970FX max-rated clock has always been 2.2ghz. Anything above that is over-clocked by Apple, requiring the large heat sinks and liquid cooling we're all familiar with.

Overclocked = very doubtful

I may be wrong, but I very seriously doubt Apple would use overclocked cpus as, if I understand correctly, this would expose Apple to warranty issues on all the supposed overclocked cpus. Plus the power consumption and temp. ratings of the cpus Apple uses are not out of line with the rest of the industry for high end cpus. Actually in quite a few comparisons the current high end 970s use less power and generate less heat than the competition.
  • Reply 199 of 294
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

For some reason I couldn't get that file. But consider:

Apple may not be getting the same 970FX part numbers that everybody else gets (e.g. Apple may be getting the top bin).

IBM rates many parts at 85C or even hotter, but it is totally legal to run faster at a lower temperature like 65C.

IBM rates many parts for lots of power-on-hours (like 10 years). If you are willing to cut the life of the chip, then you can run faster.

There is certainly no warranty issue, because Apple is the one giving you the warranty. They can't violate their own warranty.
  • Reply 200 of 294
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

There is certainly no warranty issue, because Apple is the one giving you the warranty. They can't violate their own warranty.

You could be right and IBM provides no warranty to Apple, and I don't have any knowledge of the contracts involved. Yes Apple is giving you the warranty, however, if a cpu fails under warranty, I'm sure IBM covers the expense, especially if it becomes a large problem and thousands of cpus begin failing. However, if Apple over-clocks the cpu then IBM would not reimburse the expense. Over-clocking is inherently risky and I would hope that Apple wouldn't expose themselves to this potentially large expense, both monetarily and public relations.